Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about building a new tank for myself for a while now, and I finally managed to get started on it this week.
My plan is to mold an Imola style tank in two pieces. I'll make one mold for the top half and one for the bottom. So far I've gotten about 3/4 of the bottom section shaped to fit around the air box and frame. If all goes well, once I get the final shape for the bottom half dialed in, I'll be able to use it as mold to lay up the final part.
It doesn't look difficult, but after a couple of tries I think I've gotten the profile for the top of the tank figured out. Even though I'm using photos as a guide, I've been struggling a bit to get the proportions right. I think the issue is that the original Imola style tanks were kind of long and narrow, but our bikes are much wider where the frame wraps around the airbox, which has been throwing me off. It may take me a while, but I'll get it worked out eventually.

Attachments

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought I’d post and update on my progress. Much pink foam has been cut up, glued together and then thrown in the trash over the past couple of weeks. After 4 or 5 tries, these photos show where I am today. I haven’t been able to reproduce the Imola shape in a way that I like on this bike, so I’m now going for an Imola “inspired” look. I’m not totally happy with the shape I’ve got here, but I’m getting closer I think?

Attachments

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I’m not sure I understand the dichotomy of the minimalist race pad seat and tail and what looks like an 8 gallon fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: JackN

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jack! 'Good to see you back on the forum, it's been a while since the SC meetup in Vancouver BC way back when.

It's less "Imola" style, but have you considered staying within the frame to visually elongate the tank?

image from: Red Alert: Ducati 900 SS i.e. by Moscow's Birdie Customs | Bike EXIF
Thanks for the welcome. It's hard to believe it's been so many years since the Vancouver meetup. Time flies.
I had not considered trying to keep the tank inside the frame. I don't think there is room for that on this bike? There's almost no free space between the motor and the frame.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm, I thought the original tank on the SC was already a modern (and quite well done) version of the Imola tank. It'll be interesting to see if you can improve on it.:wink2:

I think you're right. The SC tank is a beautifully done interpretation of the Imola tank. I doubt I can improve on it, but since I was struggling so much while trying to duplicate the traditional Imola shape, I thought I'd try to see what I could come up with?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m not sure I understand the dichotomy of the minimalist race pad seat and tail and what looks like an 8 gallon fuel tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's not intentional. I have my old seat that I made on the bike just to see where the forward end sits on the frame.
I agree that the tank looks too big. I'm definitely struggling to find the correct proportions. Once I do settle on a tank shape that I like, I plan to make a new seat/ tail section to go with it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
JackN

I'm looking forward to seeing the progress on your tank. I think the design of the tank/tail section on the SC is great - though one of the very few changes I would make would be to taper the tank and tail section a little. I would somehow try to narrow the tank and tail section, particularly the "flares" on the tank (which I think were needed to accommodate the airbox(?) which I have deleted on my bikes). I would try to design the tank and tail section to be more in line with the narrower frame. I haven't tried this - I think it would be a pretty big undertaking to design a narrower tank and tail section (including the seat most likely), and end up with something that looks well-proportioned given the height and length of the tank, and retains the character of the bike. But I think it's doable and if done right it should look really good!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here’s a couple of progress photos of my latest version. I think this one is very true to the Imola style. It’s only 2/3 complete on one side, but I’m finally starting to feel like I might be heading in a good direction. The final version will have much smoother transitions and the large flat areas will have more shape, but I finally feel slightly optimistic.

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
......what if you remove the air box then you can have a more “flat” design...... or???

Interesting project though

Ciaoooo
Moller

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
......what if you remove the air box then you can have a more “flat” design...... or???

Interesting project though

Ciaoooo
Moller
The airbox is the thing that is making this project such a challenge. The thing is though, the bike runs perfectly and I don't want to do anything that might change that. I don't even know what the options are these days for replacing/ removing the airbox.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
I may have missed it, but what is the reason for creating a new tank? Dont like the original?

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
170 Posts
Mainly just for the fun of doing it. I built one for myself a few years ago and wanted to give it another try.
I see, funneling the creative juices. Looking forward to what you come up with. Best of luck.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,213 Posts
The airbox is the thing that is making this project such a challenge. The thing is though, the bike runs perfectly and I don't want to do anything that might change that. I don't even know what the options are these days for replacing/ removing the airbox.
Pod filters

1 - 20 of 23 Posts