Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

there must have been already 10s of "taillight" threads over the years for our SC :) , but I thought I would share my recent little "project", hope that can help others.

Like many of us I had been thinking about finding a better looking taillight & plate holder assembly for my Biposto for a long time; previous owner had made his own keeping the original mudguard but I was not really happy with the overall look, plate fixation was so-so, and I found the integrated stop/indicator light he used had limited visibility... so after a few years of procrastination I finally went for it.

I wanted something "low profile", with harmonious lines that would integrate the bike well and could stay in the spirit of the "new-old classic" theme of the SC.
Fleda or other "Tron like" LED strip options for instance are great but not really what I was looking for; too "Tron-futurist" an not "classic" enough for me on this bike.

After lots of forum & internet search I ended up using the frame of an old WASP kit I got from a fellow forum member (thanks Shawn!) as a base, and adapted it to integrate new light and indicators (Kellermann).
The WASP frame is one of the best existing option I've found in term of how it fits with the tail of the bike while still allowing to mount classic lights/indicators; on the other hand the original light & indicators that came mounted on it really benefit from an upgrade IMHO.

So enough with the talking, here's a quick photo of how it came out:

I'm really happy with the result; would have I done my own frame I may have chosen to put the plate holder a little more vertical, and could have made the stop light support to fit the smaller light a little better, but still great to me as is; now time to ride the bike again!

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
Very well made! Looks very classy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks fastfinch, "classy" was the kind of vibe I was shooting for so I appreciate your comment.

Here's another photo from a different angle:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!
FYI in this kind of style I found the Walt Siegl bikes to be a great source of inspiration.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Interesting. Looks really good!

I purchased the WASP tail chop kit when WASP first made them, (along with his TMSD, a decade ago) and was immediately polarized by how the bracket was super well build but the lighting components were incredibly cheap. And so like you I replaced the lighting components within months of buying it. After years of tinkering and chopping and drilling the bracket, it finally wasn't usable anymore and I had to go for another option. I bought a POSH light online because I liked the look so much but didn't have any idea how to fit it on there. Then I saw what egomexico did on his GT build and was immediately inspired to do the same. I always wanted a small round light sitting right behind the seat cowl.

This is originally a GT fender with its metal bracket, which were cut very short, hand-sanded to desired shape and powder-coated black. I installed the same watsens I had before by drilling the the fender on each side, and mounted the posh light on top of the fender.

GT fender and bracket on eBay was $90. Posh light was $65, I don't remember what I paid for the watsens but I think a pair is like $120. Powder-coating was $100. So total gear was $375, which I think is pretty good compared to what other options cost.

Here is also a pic of what my variation on the WASP tail chop looked like. Wasn't exactly tip-top. You did a far better job on yours... ;)

(Sorry after 11 years on this forum I still can't seem to post pictures properly....)

Attachments

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Registered
387 Posts
This is originally a GT fender with its metal bracket, which were cut very short, hand-sanded to desired shape and powder-coated black. I installed the same watsens I had before by drilling the the fender on each side, and mounted the posh light on top of the fender.
Sounds good.

edit: looked a bit closer at your pics and think I can now see the very short GT guard.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That looks good also DGJ, thanks for the kind words.

Yes the stuff that came with the WASP kit were really cheap, especially the indicators; so cheap that one was not working anymore when I tested it. No cable strain relief at all, not water proof.. I would not trust them on my bike.

·
Registered
16 Posts
DJI, this looks great and very stylish (as well as the OP version). Quick question I hope, I don't see the blinkers in your photos, maybe they are there but can you indicate where if they are? I am thinking of doing something similar where a round brake light is behind the seat cowl since my WASP cateye rear brake light (just under the seat cowl) has a few leds that are out and it's time to change it up. Thanks for any tips!

·
Registered
400 Posts
In May I was given the job of cleaning up my friends Paul Smart ready for him to take to WDW.

Between myself and another friend we designed and manufactured an aluminium tail tidy to fit the rear of the bike and used a monster rear light and Rizoma indicators plus on the front of the bike the same indicators and Oberon bar end mirrors.

I'm afraid I'm useless at posting pics one the forum but if you'd like to see the end result PM an email address and I'll send some pics.

Whilst I was at it I also fitted a zard titanium full system which although it looked beautiful was a bugger to fit.

Geoff..>:)

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
172 Posts
In May I was given the job of cleaning up my friends Paul Smart ready for him to take to WDW.

Between myself and another friend we designed and manufactured an aluminium tail tidy to fit the rear of the bike and used a monster rear light and Rizoma indicators plus on the front of the bike the same indicators and Oberon bar end mirrors.

I'm afraid I'm useless at posting pics one the forum but if you'd like to see the end result PM an email address and I'll send some pics.

Whilst I was at it I also fitted a zard titanium full system which although it looked beautiful was a bugger to fit.

Geoff..>:)
Would love to see the end result. Take a stab at posting them on here, just drag and drop the files into the appropriate box and they should add. Cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts