Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
being 6'5", i experienced the 848 as pretty comfortable,
a long distance touring position indeed.

:)
OK so a new Supersport has to be a good commuter that is comfortable enough to tour on but also good for track days ... sound like the exact role my 1994 900SS has now, me thinks Ducati needs to have a good look at the things they did right with the 90's carb'd Supersports and rap that type of package up into a bike with modern Ducati Superbike styling (I want it to look like a 1098 but low hung pipes out either side)

·
Registered
635 Posts
OK so a new Supersport has to be a good commuter that is comfortable enough to tour on but also good for track days ... sound like the exact role my 1994 900SS has now, me thinks Ducati needs to have a good look at the things they did right with the 90's carb'd Supersports and rap that type of package up into a bike with modern Ducati Superbike styling (I want it to look like a 1098 but low hung pipes out either side)
So you vote for something like the artist version from the start of this http://www.motorcycledaily.com/12january09_ducati_ss.htm but with low slung pipes?

What about the direction these guys are going. http://www.radicalducati.com/index.php?page=galeria Several options there.

But I think you hit the biggest point to look at what they have done right in the past but with modern style. Like Muschi and others have said. This isn't 1995 anymore!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm still sitting here thinking about this and remembered reading about BMW's idea for a bike that you picked from a good sized list of things to mix and match to make anything from a cruiser, cafe racer or out and out racer.

How much bigger is BMW than Ducati? Twice as big? Three times?

Maybe that is a option. Very very base model. You pick if you want biposto mono low clip-ons mid or high or even a GT style. Then prices could range from 9k- 14k all based on what you want.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Why not try an under-engine muffler, but one that actually looks good, for something new? IMO no one has done this with the right style, but I'm sure it can be done, and it preserves the passenger seat and underseat storage options.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
just an example for a "right style" under-engine
exhaust, the KTM RC8.

Close but no cigar. I saw the RC-8 up close last week and didn't even notice the exhausts, as they were so low on the bodywork. I think they need to a stronger design element than that. Way better than the Buells, though.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
That RC-8 styling is a love/hate thing. Pierre didn't do anything at Ducati quite this devisive. RC-8 buyers will purchase to have something 1), rare and 2), unique, and they'll spend almost 1198S money to get it. Not my cup of java.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I'm not sold ... I still have this vision of a 1098 styled machine with low hung pipes out either side and an 1100DS engine.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
soon as this is finished of will start on some modernised TT2's
as with the RAD guy in spain, there's a guy in southern
germany, who builds replica TT2 frames to fit supersport
engines and forks etc., his buddy has all the
body parts build of carbon at hand if i remember
correctly.

could dig out the address probably, but don't know
if they have any kind of internet appearence.

cheers.

·
Registered
168 Posts
as with the RAD guy in spain, there's a guy in southern
germany, who builds replica TT2 frames to fit supersport
engines and forks etc., his buddy has all the
body parts build of carbon at hand if i remember
correctly.

could dig out the address probably, but don't know
if they have any kind of internet appearence.

cheers.
That would be brilliant!!!

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
hi there.

couldn't find that magazine but have invastigated
in the web now.

this is the bike:

this is a german made TT2 replica frame to fit the
900cc belt drive engines, the frame kit should
be Tüv approved by now.

the project is run by two guys, one is a mechanic,
Franz Enthofer, the plastic guy is named Horst
Ettenberg, here is a link to the plastic company,
where he sells the body kit filed under "TT600".

http://www.ks-kunststofftechnik.com/

prices are incl. 19% german v.a.t., which you
don't have to pay. All components could be
produced in carbon fibre also, with an additional
charge of 35%.

i am not related to these guys in any way, they
live far away from me.

lots of nice pictures from the finished bike here:

http://www.ducati-tt.de/02englisch/nicebikes/ettenberger_horst_en.htm

couldn't find a web address of the mechanic guy,
but the frame kit is for sale also of course.

cheers. :cool:

141 - 157 of 157 Posts