Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
There are going to be a lot of opinions on this topic, of course. I, for one, am not at all interested in the current Sport Classics, yet the notion of a modern SS model really excites me. It would be a challenge for Ducati to properly balance all the product attributes to satisfy most of us (they'll never satisfy us all!), but I think the effort would be well worth it

·
Registered
536 Posts
There are going to be a lot of opinions on this topic, of course. I, for one, am not at all interested in the current Sport Classics, yet the notion of a modern SS model really excites me. It would be a challenge for Ducati to properly balance all the product attributes to satisfy most of us (they'll never satisfy us all!), but I think the effort would be well worth it
Heck, I'd be happy if they just put the 1100DS motor and updated suspension in a carby fairing'ed / framed chasis....

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Oh, well, of course I'd love to see an NCR-type of SS, with all the tweeky goodies, but that'd be at least as expensive as a Superbike. Probably more.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Dirk,

There a number of ways Ducati could execute a new SS, but you know they could do a machine that had most of the qualities of an NCR or Bimota at much less cost to the consumer. No, we wouldn't get the CNC-machined parts or the rarity factor, but we would get the fundamentals for a light, torquey SS. Proof of that exists in the new 848 and Monster; both are current in looks, features, light weight and power and are affordable to anyone serious about a new large-displacement motorcycle. Ducati can do it; its just a decision.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I wonder if the cost of light wheels and high grade suspension is so high that it would make any new SS unaffordable? How much does an 848 motor cost compared to a 1100 DS for Ducati to produce?

·
Registered
454 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The cost of Ohlins and forged Marchesinis is higher than the standard stuff, of course, but Ducati has been buying those components for their S models for some time now, so no big deal.

The 4-valve motors cost more to build than the 2-valvers, just due to their added numbers of parts (cams, valves, water cooling system, etc.). That's why a new SS, even if installed in a Superbike-spec chassis, would cost less.

I'm sure you guys like your older SS designs, but the buying public would be looking for something new and fresh in a design statement, perhaps borrowing the best cues from all the SS models from the past.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm sure you guys like your older SS designs, but the buying public would be looking for something new and fresh in a design statement, perhaps borrowing the best cues from all the SS models from the past.
And this is always going to be the way things are designed. You have to appeal to the greatest segment of the market. With the response to the SBK redesigns, I would be amazed if any new SS did not take a lot of cues from that (as that very first pic suggested).

Whether you liked square headlights or the TB era SS's... both are gone and would not appeal to a great enough market segment to bring back. The simple business is that Duc did their research and brought out an SBK that looks like a jap bike. It sells extremely well. They brought out a transformer looking monster. I predict it will sell well. These two styling philosophies will proove to be successful for Duc, and will be the norm for a while. Sad to say, but true since I like the look of the 999's way better than what is in my local dealership now. :(

·
Registered
280 Posts
Me too. Shall we form some sort of support group? "Ducati Owners Who Thought Terblanche Was Okay Anonymous" or some such...
Yeah. I'm in. I liked the entire TB line. Even the 'Strada had some attractiveness to it (a bit). I better buy some more TB bikes soon before they are all too hard to find. :D

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Sad to say, but true since I like the look of the 999's way better than what is in my local dealership now. :(
If a new SS had a front fairing look like a 999, personally I would be good with that. But I've always liked art deco too. The 2005 and later XX9 series looked cool to me in the front half. Include the white faced tach, the fairing side foils, the visible engine, and the seat that isn't slanted forward. I've already got all my kids, some of you may not have and will need your equipment intact. Just leave out the toaster hanging out it's @$S.

I sat on a 999s with CycleCat bars a couple weeks ago. That was definitely an all day proposition to me. What a great riding position that is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
pt

terblanche got rid of the square headlight...avid supporter of pt here

·
Registered
454 Posts
Are you crazy!? What we need is a thread about who likes/hates PT's designs. :)
Haha ... that one nevers gets us anywhere. Anyone remember the thread where the comparison between FI or carb'd was discussed visually through dog breeds ...

91-98 900ss

newer 900SS
Then it was suggested the earlier squarer bodywork on an injected bike might be a good compromise.

Heres an FI bike with the squarer bodywork ...............

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
you may copy this, to get into the support club
quick and in style.

just take out the three *, as the "link" wouldn't
work otherwise.

:cool:

[*COLOR="SeaGreen"]Ducati owners who[/COLOR] [*COLOR="White"]thought Terblanche[/COLOR] [*COLOR="Red"]was okay anonymous[/COLOR]

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
And this is always going to be the way things are designed. You have to appeal to the greatest segment of the market. With the response to the SBK redesigns, I would be amazed if any new SS did not take a lot of cues from that (as that very first pic suggested).

Whether you liked square headlights or the TB era SS's... both are gone and would not appeal to a great enough market segment to bring back. The simple business is that Duc did their research and brought out an SBK that looks like a jap bike. It sells extremely well. They brought out a transformer looking monster. I predict it will sell well. These two styling philosophies will proove to be successful for Duc, and will be the norm for a while. Sad to say, but true since I like the look of the 999's way better than what is in my local dealership now. :(
The 848/1098 look like Japanese Superbikes? I just attended this year's International Motorcycle show, looked at all the latest Superbikes and disagree strongly with your statement. I do agree, however, that all four Japanese Superbikes look alike. The Ducatis, thank God, have some real style that doesn't ape their Japanese rivals.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I think your first paragraph is wrong. If it were true, then the SC line would have never happened. More graphically, the 999 would have never been produced. It was a bold design that never sold, and the 916 family, and the 1098 family have both outsold it.

Neither to my mind looks like a jap bike.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I sort of liked the art deco/cut pumpkin front of the fairing before they buggered it up. But the barge boards are a non starter for the SS. The drag was so high on the 999 that they were added as a genuine aerodynamic aid. Functionally, it worked but failed aesthetically.
The SS would not use them because it would remain an aircooled bike.

If a new SS had a front fairing look like a 999, personally I would be good with that. But I've always liked art deco too. The 2005 and later XX9 series looked cool to me in the front half. Include the white faced tach, the fairing side foils, the visible engine, and the seat that isn't slanted forward. I've already got all my kids, some of you may not have and will need your equipment intact. Just leave out the toaster hanging out it's @$S.

I sat on a 999s with CycleCat bars a couple weeks ago. That was definitely an all day proposition to me. What a great riding position that is.

41 - 60 of 157 Posts