Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Nathan, well said! That's why a new SS could be a success for Ducati - there is a real market need out there for a machine like this.

·
Registered
46 Posts
How about a new sport classic based on the style of the mid 90's supersports with upgraded suspension and the 1100 DS motor?

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts
If it's within 20lbs and 10hp of an 848, and is pretty sporty in focus/ergos, why not just get an 848 unless it was far more cost effective?
I've got an SS and a 999R.

I tested an 848 for a couple hours, afterall it's close to the weight of my SS, and close to the power of my 999R (at least on paper).

OK, so my SS has been on a diet, having lost 40 lbs. or so, but the 848 was much heavier, in fact it felt no different than my 999R. And the power wasn't even close to the 999R (which is stock).

So, I have an SS because it is lighter and smaller than my 999R, and therefore better and easier to ride on my local roads. However, I find the 999R the more comfortable of the two for long days in the Alps and Apennines.

Tom

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
How about a new sport classic based on the style of the 750 F1 with upgraded suspension and the 1100 DS motor?
Fixed it for ya. ;)

Seriously though, I could swear I saw pictures of just such a concept and heard whispers of one from someone who might know... this was a couple years back though so obviously it never came to be.

·
Registered
396 Posts
New (old!) SS

Hi all, why the shotgun approach here on a "new" SS?:confused: It is so simple it is insane. I have many Ducks, my favorite for all around anything, the go to tool is my 1994sscr. 48,287 miles of trouble free joy on the clock. It is perfect (almost) as it sits. If you could make me a clone of this machine with a real 90-100 rwhp output from the mill it would be perfect. Maybe up the output of the electrics a tad, but for all intents and purposes that is it. Just build the mid 90s model line as it was made and update the engine a tad! People talk about better suspension, this that and everything, but why??? Who needs/uses "better" components on said machine? I don't race my ss, it is a fun tool to just get on and ride. If you "need" all these updates then buy a Superbike and be done with it! I know MANY people that would buy a mid 90s 900ss in a heartbeat if it was offered as it was made in the mid 90s again.;)

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi all, why the shotgun approach here on a "new" SS?:confused: It is so simple it is insane. I have many Ducks, my favorite for all around anything, the go to tool is my 1994sscr. 48,287 miles of trouble free joy on the clock. It is perfect (almost) as it sits. If you could make me a clone of this machine with a real 90-100 rwhp output from the mill it would be perfect. Maybe up the output of the electrics a tad, but for all intents and purposes that is it. Just build the mid 90s model line as it was made and update the engine a tad! People talk about better suspension, this that and everything, but why??? Who needs/uses "better" components on said machine? I don't race my ss, it is a fun tool to just get on and ride. If you "need" all these updates then buy a Superbike and be done with it! I know MANY people that would buy a mid 90s 900ss in a heartbeat if it was offered as it was made in the mid 90s again.;)
851 - I guess that would be one way to go, using the old design, but I think an update of the successful cues from the past combined with some new ideas would be even better for a new SS model. I believe an exact copy of the old design would be limiting - a buyer could just buy a used bike if they wanted that! I'm thinking something like the 2005 Mustang or the 2010 Camaro design, which have a lot of retro flavor, but done in a new way (especially the Camaro in that regard). The sketch is pretty close to the design mark, IMO.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
If Ducati made a revised SS1000DS with solid suspension (think Showa/Ohlins) and, to my eye, nicer aesthetics, I'd be happy. As it is, I tried to trade an '02 998 for an SS1000DS and couldn't find one for trade or sale. I ended up trading it even up for an '07 FZ1 with 1K on the clock. Nice bike but there's nothing like a Ducati SS.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The recipe for a modern SS is simple, Ducati got it right in 1991.

Superbike styling with a real family resemblance to the 1098 (just like the 90's SS had to the 851), a set of low hung pipes out either side (SS tradition), ergo's similiar to the 90's SS, a dry clutch and 2V engines (I'd like an 1100DS please), and keep it light and simple.

They do that and I reckon they'll be on a winner, however I am not really expecting Ducati to build anything that interests me, most of their recent machines I just don't like (new Monster, Multi, Streetfighter, Sportsclassics ... all butt ugly bikes imo) so I'll just stick with my old 900SS its still the bike I want to ride even with 179,000k's on the clock.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I like my 1999 SS too, but it is time for a new one, not only to bring it up-to-date in styling, but also to infuse it with all the latest technology (1100DS motor, digital gauges, better brakes, lighter weight, etc.).

I have modded my bike so that the thing most difficult to accomplish vis-a-vis what I want is a style change. Its not easy to create new bodywork even if you had the talent as a designer. For a manufacturer, that is no problem at all.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I agree with RZ here. One can start adding better brakes, hot-rodding the engine, lighter wheels, etc., but at some point you start trying to make it something it isn't. Reminds me of all the guys I used to see with braced swingarms and frames for airhead BMW's. It helps, but it is still a Manx frame designed in 1950something.

The older supersports did not have a very rigid frame. More modern tires tax the chassis a bit IMHO. Not hugely, and not a factor in how fun it is, or how fast I ride on the street, just an awareness that the design is not equal in development to the tires available.

I think that all of us that own them essentially like them for what they are. Which is good, but it's still a 20 year old design. I would like to keep the essence of what is good and do one that is a modern chassis with an 1100DS engine. Which is what most of the rest of you want.

Good thing my wife is on board with needing a 3 car garage for the next house...

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I like my 1999 SS too, but it is time for a new one, not only to bring it up-to-date in styling, but also to infuse it with all the latest technology (1100DS motor, digital gauges, better brakes, lighter weight, etc.).

QUOTE]

Do what you want with the speedo but the tach has to be analog.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

QUOTE]

Do what you want with the speedo but the tach has to be analog.
White face analog gauges for both. Still the best design.

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
Price

Should this dream come true? I'll take one in Red!

If the Company offered a bike that the buyer could make the call on what motor they wanted put in the frame I think would sell very good! Why? Well some of us like to work on our bikes(2V) well some of us think we know what we are doing working on our bikes. It's the simple motor from Ducati and it is one step behind a SBK from Ducati, the street bike with the look of a Race bike but not at race bike price. IMO

IMO it Sucks that I can't get all the add-ons for my SS like the other owners can and if I did find some parts that may help for power or just for the "bling" the cost is unreal!! IMO Well welcome to the owners of Ducati ya ya I know ..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
Here is something similar to what i would like.

http://clubhousemotorsports.com/images/IMG_1480.JPG

classic styling with a newer motor
modern suspension
and light weight

with the advances since the 91-98 supersport there should be no reason ducati cannot deliver us a supersport in the 350lb weight range.

They would not have to reinvent the wheel to do it either, 848 lower end a air cooled top end.
The forged mag wheels from the superbike.
newer bodywork material like on the 848 (very light (thin)).
new light weight plastic headlight
led directionals
sport classic gauges (proper needles)

If they can make the 4 valve bikes weigh in around 400 lbs then they should be able to get a 2 valver close to 350

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I think the most likely thing Ducati would do is to upgrade the Sportclassic Sport 1000 S to a "Super Sport 1000 S" by the addition of go-fast parts on it. The Sport 1000 S is already very similar to the Super Sport from the 70's.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I do love the looks of the 1000S. If it had sportier suspension and less extreme ergos, I would love to have one as a 'round town rider.

For a new SS to sell well to the masses, though, it will have to have modern styling.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
I was trying to say that I believe Ducati thinks that the Supersport catagory is obsolete and that any future bike with the "SS" label would be a Sportclassic. This is just speculation on my part of course.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
I bought a used 800. I like the darn thing. Alot. I also like the earlier models with the square headlight. I would look at a new one if they brought em back, but I'd still hang onto this one for sentimental reasons. They're all cool in my book.:)

Attachments

21 - 40 of 157 Posts