Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have heard some say that the inside line is that there will be no new supersport anytime soon ... or ever. The market is just not there. Has anyone heard anything different?

96SP

·
Registered
379 Posts
So I have heard some say that the inside line is that there will be no new supersport anytime soon ... or ever. The market is just not there. Has anyone heard anything different?

96SP
Alas people are fixated on horsepower they have neither the talent or the balls to use so, a sub-120bhp Supersport is unlikely to happen on the account that it won't sell. :(

Shame really, cos I love these bikes and much prefer them over a 4-vlv motor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Have to agree with twpd here... It seems to be a culture that wants more more more!!! for no good reason. What makes me sick is the number of fat rich arseholes that only have money to burn turn up to track days on $35,000 bikes and get into the slow group and putter around. It's not that, it's the bullshit talk that they go on with in the pits... "yeah i know... i was spinning up comming out of turn 12..." LIKE CRAP you were tool, i over took you on your 1198S with my 600SS, and i did it on the outside... idiots.

I think emission laws also kill the air cooled bikes. But i cant see why they just dont repower it with the ST3 engines or something.

At the end of the day, there are those of us with the passion, then there are the market makers with all the cash and no passion. Ducati dont care who the bike sells to, just so long as it sells... If big fat knob polishers want to sit in an ivory towered office over looking the city and jerk off in a boardroom over the fact they just bought a $40,000 bike that is WAY beyond their means and capability just because Larry doesnt have one, then so be it. While these fat bloated butt wipes sit around talking shit with their "gotta get one up" brothers, they are paying to keep part of my passion alive.

It's sad to say it, as air cooled bikes are all about what made Ducati, but there is a time that things have to move on. I for one will miss them if they dissapear, and it looks almost certain... look at the Ducati website... no mention of upcomming SS models and no parts manuals or online brochures for models. 2007 is the last year model of the SS series i can find on their web site. They have not been on sale in Australia for a long time, and the only ones that are left would be old stockers...

The last real bastion that is Ducati will be all but a memory. I got my piece of history here now, getting ready to race... its not water cooled and its not fast, its not about winning races, its about my passion to ride a race bike built by me and Ducati :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
It is sad that they've gone. My 80bhp 800ss is more than ample for me and doesn't get left behind ever. There's something pure and uncomplicated about an air-cooled Ducati...proper old school. A simple performance bike at its best imo.

I'm gradually developing mine into something very light with lots of torque. Something I would hope to see from Ducati really.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Who is worthy?

So, what OTHER manufacturer has a machine that is in current production that could be considered as a worthy replacement for our beloved SS machines? I for one would jump on a "new" 1994 900ss in a heartbeat. What is sad is I know many many people who would do the same. I have beat this dead in the past, I LOVE the 90s 900ss machines, it is THE go to bike I ride all the time even though I have quite a few more Ducks in the pond here. Ducati and all other makers can keep the megawatt 5zillion h.p. whatever bikes, don't need it nor want it here.;)

·
Registered
379 Posts
There is no other bike available out there that can replace it imo. I have a Triumph Sprint RS which, is another good bike with a blend of power/weight/handling/comfort. Alas it is made no more because no-one bought it...and it's still no Ducati anyway.

·
Premium Member
748 Posts
So, what OTHER manufacturer has a machine that is in current production that could be considered as a worthy replacement for our beloved SS machines? I for one would jump on a "new" 1994 900ss in a heartbeat. What is sad is I know many many people who would do the same. I have beat this dead in the past, I LOVE the 90s 900ss machines, it is THE go to bike I ride all the time even though I have quite a few more Ducks in the pond here. Ducati and all other makers can keep the megawatt 5zillion h.p. whatever bikes, don't need it nor want it here.;)
I'd love an 1100DS motor in a chassis with full Ohlins suspension, Brembo monoblock brakes, and the 90's slab-sided Supersport bodywork!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd love an 1100DS motor in a chassis with full Ohlins suspension, Brembo monoblock brakes, and the 90's slab-sided Supersport bodywork!
I'm with you on all but the "90's slab-sided Supersport bodywork" - Ducati (and the rest of the world) has moved beyond that look. How about something fresh that communicates the "less is more" philosophy in the bodywork design?

I've been beating the New SuperSport drum for a while now and no manufacturer seems to be listening yet, other than NCR (Milona) and Bimota (DB-5), both of which are out of my price range.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
There is no other bike available out there that can replace it imo. I have a Triumph Sprint RS which, is another good bike with a blend of power/weight/handling/comfort. Alas it is made no more because no-one bought it...and it's still no Ducati anyway.
I have had two '90's SS/SP's that I rode cross-country some years back. I also owned an '04 Sprint RS that was a great allrounder. I agree though, as good as it was, it's no SS. Since then I've had two 998's that I absolutely love. But, IMHO, the SS is the best "real world" bike Ducati ever built. If I can find a SS1000DS this winter, I'll be back to my Ducati "roots." Shame on Ducati and the rest of the manufacturers for giving up on real bikes for the real streets.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
If Ducati stops making air cooled engines, then NCR will have to find another supplier, which would be tough for them. I doubt there is another air cooled engine as highly developed as the Ducati twin.

·
Mr Leakered
8,823 Posts
Duc has way too many nakeds (SCs, HMs, Monters, SFs) and SBKs. Okay, not too many SBKs, but you get the point. There's a huge hole in their line up for an ST and an SS.

Mini pulled the wraps off the premium entry market; it's time for Duc to do the same. Hell, Vespa made small cool again.

I, and just about anyone else, could pull together a proper Duc lineup that keeps the demographic very happy with the same number of models they have now. WTF?

Have a good one.

·
Registered
454 Posts
This is about what I expected.

Are Ducati to blind to see the big hole in their range for the traditional Ducati ... that is an air-cooled sportsbike. For me a sportsbike isn't a Monster, it isn't a pure tourer, it certainly isn't the multi-strada or HM. And I don't want a sportsclassic, I want a light weight modern looking bike a 2V Duc with a family resemblance to the 1098 that I can ride to work all week and go to the track or touring on weekends ...

So if a new Supersport is not going to happen then I won't be visiting a Ducati dealer or any other dealer for that matter anytime soon ... hell I'm happy to spend another decade on a carb'd Supersport!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Duc has way too many nakeds (SCs, HMs, Monters, SFs) and SBKs. Okay, not too many SBKs, but you get the point. There's a huge hole in their line up for an ST and an SS.

Mini pulled the wraps off the premium entry market; it's time for Duc to do the same. Hell, Vespa made small cool again.

I, and just about anyone else, could pull together a proper Duc lineup that keeps the demographic very happy with the same number of models they have now. WTF?

Have a good one.
That's why the next new Ducati models will be a BMW GS-fighter (i.e. giant trailie) and perhaps even a scooter (again).

I'd rather see a new SS again, too, FWIW.

Cheers,

d.
'95 900SS/SP

·
Registered
40 Posts
For what its worth... ive seen many a manufacturer say they wouldnt build it or send it here. If Ducati gets enough "real" interest it could still happen.

Mitsubishi said flat out the EVO will never be sold in america among others. America will ,if not by choice by law, be back to sensible HP on the street. Most of us know you cannot use 50 percent of the R1's, CBR1000, 1198, etc potential on the street. I love the fact that i can go to jail on the 900ss but i do have time to think about it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I absolutely love my SS and have no plans to sell, only add to the stable, but as been said before none of these clowns that jump on the sport bike bandwagon wants "passion". They want 0 to ZOMG!!!1 in sub-light-speed times, and again the bragging rights to acquaintances is always a huge draw.

Additionally I took part in the Hypermotard demo when the HyperTruck came to town. The engine- 2V air cooled, was nothing short of amazing. Apart from the riding position, which I would need more seat-time to get used to, I was pretty much sold. Untill however I started reading discouraging posts here in the Hyper forums as well as snips here and there on DT/DD. It seems Ducatis line-up has become a bane for the owner to service him/herself. Did I also read something regarding screws for the airbox!? Now this is a major turn off for me personally as I always have and always will service all my "toys".

Like I said I have no plans on selling my beloved SS, however I very much doubt it'll be another Ducati joining my collection.... Well a classic restoration isn't out of picture, but you get my mean.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
..well whether or not a new SS happens, in the mean time (and hopefully forever anyway) I will be riding the 'old' bike on sunny afternoons looking down at those pale Veglia clocks with needles shaking back and forth listening to that classic basso profundo until I can ride no more!

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
shameless i know...but what got me going again from my days owning a 907ie...it's the only Ducati i haven't thought about selling! :)

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Thanks Obie for posting a picture of your SS. I wondered what it looked like, but no surprise its mint knowing you. I miss my SS, it was an 01 but I did alot to it and looking back I should have kept it as my steady ride on the weekends. I loved the sound of the remus titanium cans and the power was very adequate, it pulled good. I did a couple track days with it and once I had the suspension dialed, it was a totally different bike, for the better. What a realiable ride, the 2V is a wonderful and uncluttered motor. Actually I prefer the looks of the pre 99 Supersports, like Obies. I've been tempted to pick one up, there are enough in the range to be selective and find a good deal too. The classic look is very appealing.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts