Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
I want to clarify something. The air cooled Ducatis are some of my favorite motorcycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bon Vivant
12,059 Posts
Dang, tuff crowd for JEFFRPM. They are all just jealous of your air cooled Hyper collection. I am anyways. (y)
no-one is jealous of his hyper collection, there's just no reason to come on here and stir shit - if you don't like the bike why bother? Go have fun with other peeps that enjoy the Hyper. But from what I'm readin his fun is closer to riling folks up - your basic troll :rolleyes: There's always somebody who's main function is screwing up an otherwise constructive and enjoyable thread. Got one of those in a multistrada thread right now too...

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm looking for a replacement bike or bikes due to mine being 14 years old & parts are getting hard it find & some of mine are pushing 40k miles meaning there getting tired.

As of late there's absolutly nothing out there currently avalable that's anywhere as much fun to ride than a 1100HM (in my opinion) that is unless you like 10000 rpm & going fast as hell to do it.

Not my thing zero to 70mph slow to 20 in less than a city block make a hard turn & back to 70 .....repeat is a hellova lot more fun to me than doing 160 on a semi straight road to get your adrenalin flowing will kill you

·
Registered
60 Posts
View attachment 1020516
I added the exhaust and cropped out the plate holder and mirrors to get a better idea. Still a lot of plastics, but imo if the red can be blacked out like a matte black, it could be very appealing.
After a full weekend of staring at this picture and watching videos of the V2, this bike is growing on me. The advantage this bike has over the V4 (for me at least) is the exposure of the exhaust and how it is routed. Put a full Ti system on this thing and the blue-ing of the header from the front cylinder along the right side, will make this bike very sexy. I'm a fan of exposed engines and their components and this exhaust really makes the bike. This bike has a lot of potential and will only become more attractive with time.

·
Bon Vivant
12,059 Posts
After a full weekend of staring at this picture and watching videos of the V2, this bike is growing on me. The advantage this bike has over the V4 (for me at least) is the exposure of the exhaust and how it is routed. Put a full Ti system on this thing and the blue-ing of the header from the front cylinder along the right side, will make this bike very sexy. I'm a fan of exposed engines and their components and this exhaust really makes the bike. This bike has a lot of potential and will only become more attractive with time.
Thank you crhussong for getting us on topic and for your reasoning behind being interested in the V2. I'll admit that the engine on the V4 isn't sexy nor is it even a little recognizable as an engine in the conventional sense. The v2 isn't much better - but it is better.

But I gotta tell you I just can't figure out why anyone would choose this over the V4 except on price. They are the same size and close enough to the same weight (the v4 engine weighs only 175 lbs), they look very similar, and who knows about the ride dynamics at this time. The V2 is a little less cluttered and slightly cleaner looking. I've never ridden a bike with the small superquatro engine but I imagine that the character is very similar to the V4 with most of the power coming in a little higher in the rev range. They are both wicked looking bikes and both have ridiculous power.

I posted this pic below with a bunch of accessories because most of the SF's that I've seen have much of this stuff just after purchase and it really changes the look of the bike. especially the exhaust. The one thing that a lot of people don't understand about the V4 is how easy it is to ride. It's actually a very docile bike and doesn't get crazy unless you ask for it.

I'm a fan of V4 engines - I like the power delivery, the sound, and the character much better than a twin. but I understand that many ducatisti would prefer a twin. The real kicker for me was the paired firing of the stradale engine which killed some of the v4 soul - I was really disappointed in that. But that should be a good thing for twin fans.

So here ya go - two bikes that are so close to each other that's it almost impossible to choose, price is a factor, as is equipment level, the thing we don't know is how they compare in feeling. I'd really like to try and find out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thank you crhussong for getting us on topic and for your reasoning behind being interested in the V2. I'll admit that the engine on the V4 isn't sexy nor is it even a little recognizable as an engine in the conventional sense. The v2 isn't much better - but it is better.

But I gotta tell you I just can't figure out why anyone would choose this over the V4 except on price. They are the same size and close enough to the same weight (the v4 engine weighs only 175 lbs), they look very similar, and who knows about the ride dynamics at this time. The V2 is a little less cluttered and slightly cleaner looking. I've never ridden a bike with the small superquatro engine but I imagine that the character is very similar to the V4 with most of the power coming in a little higher in the rev range. They are both wicked looking bikes and both have ridiculous power.

I posted this pic below with a bunch of accessories because most of the SF's that I've seen have much of this stuff just after purchase and it really changes the look of the bike. especially the exhaust. The one thing that a lot of people don't understand about the V4 is how easy it is to ride. It's actually a very docile bike and doesn't get crazy unless you ask for it.

I'm a fan of V4 engines - I like the power delivery, the sound, and the character much better than a twin. but I understand that many ducatisti would prefer a twin. The real kicker for me was the paired firing of the stradale engine which killed some of the v4 soul - I was really disappointed in that. But that should be a good thing for twin fans.

So here ya go - two bikes that are so close to each other that's it almost impossible to choose. price is a factor, as is equipment level, the thing we don't know is how they compare in feeling, I'd really like to try and find out.

Yeah, they're both the same as far as dimensions, so the only reason I could see buying the v2 over the v4 is cost, preference of a power output across a rev range shorter than 15k, and perhaps ergonomics. I'm only saying ergos because the V4 felt much wider to sit on than the narrow trellis framed testa engine bikes. I got used to the smaller compact feeling of my previous 1198, and after sitting on the SFV4, it felt much wider than what I'm used to. So, I'm assuming the V2 will feel narrower and more compact since it's designed around an engine only one cylinder wide. Bulldog, you have a 1098 and V4 so please correct me if you disagree.

As soon as a SFV2 shows up at the dealer, I'll be setting a test ride. I'm sure seeing in person will squash any negativity I may have left.

·
Bon Vivant
12,059 Posts
Yeah, they're both the same as far as dimensions, so the only reason I could see buying the v2 over the v4 is cost, preference of a power output across a rev range shorter than 15k, and perhaps ergonomics. I'm only saying ergos because the V4 felt much wider to sit on than the narrow trellis framed testa engine bikes. I got used to the smaller compact feeling of my previous 1198, and after sitting on the SFV4, it felt much wider than what I'm used to. So, I'm assuming the V2 will feel narrower and more compact since it's designed around an engine only one cylinder wide. Bulldog, you have a 1098 and V4 so please correct me if you disagree.

As soon as a SFV2 shows up at the dealer, I'll be setting a test ride. I'm sure seeing in person will squash any negativity I may have left.
I do think that the V4 is slightly wider at the knees when I'm riding but I don't give it much thought. But ya know, I've never actually taken them out back to back to compare, that might be an interesting exercise.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I'm looking for a replacement bike or bikes due to mine being 14 years old & parts are getting hard it find & some of mine are pushing 40k miles meaning there getting tired.

As of late there's absolutly nothing out there currently avalable that's anywhere as much fun to ride than a 1100HM (in my opinion) that is unless you like 10000 rpm & going fast as hell to do it.

Not my thing zero to 70mph slow to 20 in less than a city block make a hard turn & back to 70 .....repeat is a hellova lot more fun to me than doing 160 on a semi straight road to get your adrenalin flowing will kill you
Go try an MT-09 SP......I guarantee you will be entertained!!!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
I think price will be a big factor in buying the V2 over the V4...and I hate to say it but the V2 may look a bit better/cleaner. Only thing I would get rid of my 1098 for would be the V4 though.....I think :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
If you decide to get rid of the 1098, I hope to be the first person you contact......just sayin 😁

Hahaha...you are about 4th in line, lol. She ain't going anywhere anytime soon.......and this is the first bike I have owned in a LONG time I have said that about, lol. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
If you think about it & be honest what percentage of you guys ride over 100? Or how quick can you flip a bitch & accelerate to the next block hit the binders to make a hard right on your 450+lb bike that I'm shure can out accelerate me after I'm in 3rd......by then I'm already out of the next turn in 3rd again or 4th 5th & 6th
Yes the longer the straights are AFTER a corner you will catch me but that's not what I do

This 20yo kid I ride with has a 701 husky that's REAL hard to catch in the twisties but if the straights are long enough I'll get him if not he leaves me in the dust, yes there is less twistie places I end up riding on but only to get to the fun stuff.

I thought about the 701 but it can't pull as hard as any of my 1100's can, but on the top end were dead even due to my bike being geared 14 / 44 ringing my bikes neck to the flashing red light only gets me 110mph PERIOD

What I really wished sombody made was a 1100 or bigger Vtwin that only needs to rev to 6000rpm & has 120ftlb of grunt doing it (that tourqe thing again) & weighed less than 340lbs wet even if it cost $25k it would be worth it to me
As far as riding over 100 mph, my Hayabusa rarely falls under 100! As for fast corners, it doesn't really matter because with a 202 MPH top end (modified bike) I'm usually on my second beer before my riding buddies get to the lunch cafe. Is it irresponsible to ride at these speeds? Yeah, ain't it great! Honestly, I'm just trying to enjoy my internal combustion vehicles before the governor of California makes us all drive electric golf carts! That will be happening in a VERY short time. BTW are you all aware that all fast vehicles will very soon be completely OBSOLETE? Insurance companies are already requiring their customers to install data loggers which will monitor your every move. If you drive over the speed limit ANYWHERE at ANYTIME you'll be getting a letter from them canceling your insurance policy. SO...no further need for fast cars and bikes! Enjoy them for your last few months while you can, because they are all DEAD.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I too find the V2 to be a little sleeker than the V4. The exhaust on the V4 is hideous, which may be the biggest difference, in photos anyway. I thought the V4 SF was an eyesore when it came out,
but in person it really looks great. The V2 SF is jumping off the page sexy for me already.

I am in the market for a new bike and the V2 is checking a lot of boxes. I was leaning toward a used Tuono Factory which can be had for between $10-16k depending upon a bunch of factors. Also considering the MV Augusta Brutale 800 RR, Monster 1200s/r and the Duke 890r. The V2 just jumped to the head of the line despite not having a trellis frame. 😂

Going to have to go to the motorcycle show this year and see them all close up.

·
Registered
2017 Ducati Multistrada 950, 2018 Desert Sled, 2008 VFR800
434 Posts
I'm wondering how the heat is between the two bike (V2 vs V4) on warm days (90*F +). I have only ridden the new Multi V4S and did not have an issue on a cool day (70's *F), but some of the people I ride with in Texas say the V4 is too hot.
I rode a friends monster 1200S this weekend (70*F's) and did not have any heat issues.

·
Registered
60 Posts
As far as riding over 100 mph, my Hayabusa rarely falls under 100! As for fast corners, it doesn't really matter because with a 202 MPH top end (modified bike) I'm usually on my second beer before my riding buddies get to the lunch cafe. Is it irresponsible to ride at these speeds? Yeah, ain't it great! Honestly, I'm just trying to enjoy my internal combustion vehicles before the governor of California makes us all drive electric golf carts! That will be happening in a VERY short time. BTW are you all aware that all fast vehicles will very soon be completely OBSOLETE? Insurance companies are already requiring their customers to install data loggers which will monitor your every move. If you drive over the speed limit ANYWHERE at ANYTIME you'll be getting a letter from them canceling your insurance policy. SO...no further need for fast cars and bikes! Enjoy them for your last few months while you can, because they are all DEAD.
I too find the V2 to be a little sleeker than the V4. The exhaust on the V4 is hideous, which may be the biggest difference, in photos anyway. I thought the V4 SF was an eyesore when it came out,
but in person it really looks great. The V2 SF is jumping off the page sexy for me already.

I am in the market for a new bike and the V2 is checking a lot of boxes. I was leaning toward a used Tuono Factory which can be had for between $10-16k depending upon a bunch of factors. Also considering the MV Augusta Brutale 800 RR, Monster 1200s/r and the Duke 890r. The V2 just jumped to the head of the line despite not having a trellis frame. 😂

I too did not like the SF V4 at first but am starting to think it is the best looking bike Ducati has ever made.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Your statement about the Cali emissions initiative is incredibly flawed, I'd suggest re-reading the targets and deadlines gavin newsome (I will not capitalizing his name 😈) detailed in his plan, so you can rest easy on owning a motorcycle in California for a very very long time. As for your Insurance policy monitoring interpretation, that is also incredibly flawed. Again, I'd suggest re-reading the legalities of that.

Now, lets get back to theme of this thread and continue chatting about the SFV2 and all its capabilities!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I believe I read in my Hypermotard 950 owners manual that you must wick it up to 100mph or more every ride. I do my best to follow those instructions. Surely the V2 has the same requirements. :)

·
Bon Vivant
12,059 Posts

You'll want to ride them too if you can. The new bike is worlds better than the old bike and aside from the Tuono is a bunch better (IMO) than the Duke , Monster, and Brutale. The new SF is really a revolutionary bike for Ducati and honestly surpasses anything that came before it (in the naked category). Handling and performance wise this bike equals or surpasses the Tuono and it's a whole bunch easier and more pleasant to ride.

I'm wondering how the heat is between the two bike (V2 vs V4) on warm days (90*F +). I have only ridden the new Multi V4S and did not have an issue on a cool day (70's *F), but some of the people I ride with in Texas say the V4 is too hot.
I rode a friends monster 1200S this weekend (70*F's) and did not have any heat issues.
I think Ducati has completely eliminated the heat issue with the V4SF - its cooler than my 1098 and way cooler than any of the SBK's - I've had absolutely no heat issues all summer long. One of the things they've done with the V4 is to shut off the rear cylinders at idle, I'm not sure they can do that with a twin so how cool the V2 will be we will have to wait and see.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts