Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I'd post this for anyone looking for a new ST4s. I stopped in to my local Duc dealer (Eastern Cycle Ducati) in Beverly, Massachusetts and saw that they had a new '04 ST4s for sale marked down to $12,495.00. Since I didn't have the spare cash in pocket and I know that new ST4s bikes are quickly becoming more scarce I decided to give it a post if anyone was interested in checking it out. It's metallic grey with red rims and oh yes, the dry clutch! As not to spam this site by promoting the sale of one particular dealers bike, I checked with the moderator prior to posting. I know that sometimes people go on the hunt to find a new ST4s, because once they're gone, they're gone! If you call, ask for Randy and tell him Tom sent you. I figured I'd throw out a bone if anybody was hungry.

Mr. Tommy 2 valves

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I stopped by Ducati Seattle tonight after work. They have a black 05 ST4s sitting in the showroom.

·
7,733 Posts
There were at least 2 new 2003(!) ST4s' in the greater Toronto area a couple of weeks ago. One yellow with bags at Toronto Ducati, ie Brampton Cycles, and the other at Rev Cycles, grey without bags. The yellow one is marked down to 18,500.00 plus taxes etc cdn from 25,000.00 + cdn and the dealer is willing to "deal" on the grey one. The cdn dollar has so much more buying power these days than 2002/3, that one can buy a new 2006 ST3s for the same if not less money. I'm thinking they will have to do *much* better on their sale prices before they sell, like 16K cdn.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There's a few at the dealers around here in Denver too. I'd actually prefer a ST3 over the ST4s, and can't find any leftover ST3's in the color I want. So I'll probably end up going with a 2006 ST3.

·
Registered
4 Posts
st3

dinskeep said:
There's a few at the dealers around here in Denver too. I'd actually prefer a ST3 over the ST4s, and can't find any leftover ST3's in the color I want. So I'll probably end up going with a 2006 ST3.
dinskeep-
first post for me......been lurkin' for a bit. there are a couple of '05 st3's at crooked river motorcycles in akron, ohio. definitely a haul from denver, but they have a black one and a red one. the red one has about 70 miles on it i believe, it was used as a demo. just saw both of them today.
they had a '05 black st4s---but i got it a couple of weeks ago!! man am i looking forward to spring!

·
Registered
319 Posts
congrates on the bike pep!!! nice to see you jumpin' in the conversation!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
grinder96 said:
congrates on the bike pep!!! nice to see you jumpin' in the conversation!!!

thanks turin,

glad to be even a small part of this great forum. believe me, i don't have much to offer in the way of expertise at this point. can't tell you how much i've already learned just reading the posts.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
jgerken said:
One less '05 ST4s in the hands of a dealer. I just put my first 150 miles on her. Whoo-Haa! :D
Put on a 42T rear sprocket and your grin will be even bigger.

·
Registered
319 Posts
all the thanks(and tall gears) go to emissions!!

jgerken said:
That's going on at 600.

Why do they deliver the bikes with such tall gearing? Even for the Autostradas, I think about 140 KPH @ 4500 in 5th seems too far below the sweet spot.

·
Registered
887 Posts
all the thanks(and tall gears) go to emissions!!
Not really. The ST4s (and all Ducatis that I am aware of) are geared so the bike can achieve maximum speed the engine is capable of producing in stock tune. It is no coincidence that the 162 mph top speed of the ST4s happens just past peak power rpm in 6th gear. No other combination of gears will allow it to reach this speed in stock trim.

The gearbox ratios themselves are unchanged from previous superbike engines that did not produce as much torque or peak horsepower so the only thing Ducati could do (other than change the gearbox ratios) was to change sprocket sizes (which effectively makes first gear taller).

Most people do not need 162 mph so it works just fine to add three or four teeth to the rear sprocket. And this makes sense in other ways as well. With the panniers attached and stock gearing the bike is overgeared in terms of top speed due to the additional aerodynamic drag of the bags. Therefore adding three or four teeth to the rear sprocket brings the gearing back into the proper range for top speed with bags mounted.

·
Registered
218 Posts
just saw a barely used one at my local dealer:

2002 Matte Grey st4s, about 13000km, original tires!

I think it was about $11k.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
just saw a barely used one at my local dealer:

2002 Matte Grey st4s, about 13000km, original tires!

I think it was about $11k.
Is that Canadian $$. ??

if US $$ way high.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Yes, in CDN$. But our dollar is nearly par with US dollar, so yes, it is a ripoff, as are most things at my ridiculously gouging dealer (see my other posts). I figger no more than $9k for such a bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How does an ST3 (I think it is an '05) with about 4K miles on it sound?

Here in PDX at the Dealership for $9,999.00?

Is the routine maintenance really THAT expen$ive?:confused:

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts