Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -- I bought the ST4s that's been listed here. I've been riding KTM Adventure bikes the last few years (950 Adv, 1290 SA-R, and 690 E) but my first bike ever was a '94 M900 that I put through absolute hell and it never let me down. So I'm excited to be back on a Duc.

Not many ST4s come up for sale these days it seems, so was happy to find one about 10 miles away. Relatively low miles and appears well-cared for -- will need a good scrubbing down as it looks like it's been sitting for a bit. I was on the fence but the PO let me test-ride it and that was enough to win me over -- I forgot how much "soul" these L-twins have.

Bummed that it doesn't have a dry clutch, but nothing to be done about that. 24,000 miles

I'll need to replace the front rotors -- I think these have a slight warp as I get fairly significant pulsing/wobble under hard braking at speed. Also considering returning the DP pipes back to stock... I'm kind of sensitive to loud bikes (I know...) and these are just slightly too much for me. Maybe I can get some baffles in there?

Anyway, look forward to interacting with you folks here. I'm sure I'll have questions.

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Congrats on the bike! From the pic it looks great. Before swapping out the rotors, check to make sure they are warped. Many feel the pulsation (do a search and you'll find numerous posts with twice as many remedies). These are semi-floating rotors...some folks have had good luck cleaning the buttons that fasten the rotor to the carrier. A good cleaning of the rotor and rub down with a scotch-brite pad has worked for some too. It's been suggested that if you keep the brakes applied after a particularly long/hard braking, some of the pad material is transferred to the rotor and you end up with a grabby spot. I think that's a plausible explanation. My bike has almost 50K miles and occasionally have had the pulsating front brake. After a good cleaning of the rotors and pads (why not...I had nothing else to do) the pulsating disappeared.

And the back brake is mostly for aesthetics. No matter what you do to it, it'll still be anemic.

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
And the back brake is mostly for aesthetics. No matter what you do to it, it'll still be anemic.
Congratulations. It looks like Mao Tse Duc, my late '04 ST4s.
Don't worry about the rear brakes. Ducati designed the recommended 70-30 front/rear brake application ratio into the system to alleviate rear brake lockup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I've done the reading on the discs -- interesting that this is so common. I'll give the rotors are a good scrub down. Really wish a new set of Galfers wouldn't run me 20% of what I paid for the bike... :D

·
Super Moderator
4,911 Posts
Yeah...tell me about it! Back when the bike was $15K you could almost justify it. I bet some elbow grease will do the trick.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Congratulations! Nice looking bike. I picked up my 2001 ST4 last year, after being without a Duc for a few years. The ST's are nice machines.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fellas,

Trying to understand how to improve the ergonomics. It appears Heli Bars are popular but difficult to find. I'm seeing lots of bar risers in stock, but I don't understand how they work with the clips-ons I have -- that are mounted below the triple clamp.

These: Bevel Heaven Ducati Parts (925)798-2385 for example -- are those a different style of clip on handlebar available on earlier models? The kit doesn't appear to come with them, just the risers themselves?

What am I missing here?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,195 Posts
1st gen and 2nd gen risers are different. What you linked to is 1st gen. Like you have already noticed, you need something completely different. For 2nd gen, HeliBars is probably all you're going to find. And if you're VERY lucky, you may find a set of CycleCat bars (but don't get your hopes up).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see, I figured I was missing something. Thanks.

What's so special about the CycleCat bars? I assume they're NLA?

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,195 Posts
CycleCat went out of business years ago, but they made the most adjustable replacement clip-ons you could get for the 2nd gen ST.

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
I owned two "old style" ST models, an ST4 and ST4s plus two new style ST models, an ST4s and ST3s. I replaced the handle bars of the old style models but never felt the need to replace those of the new models, which are adjustable to a lower position.

I suggest you spend significant riding time on your new to you ST4s before making a decision on the handle bars. Ergonomics can also be tweaked by adjusting the gear shift lever. .

·
Registered
585 Posts
Fellas,

Trying to understand how to improve the ergonomics. It appears Heli Bars are popular but difficult to find. I'm seeing lots of bar risers in stock, but I don't understand how they work with the clips-ons I have -- that are mounted below the triple clamp.
If you're interested, I have a set of Helibar risers off my ST3s. Good shape, normal use. $250 shipped. I haven't checked lately, but I think that's about $100 below the price for new.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Here is a Cycle Cat set up for a Gen 1.
I was crazy lucky to be one of the last guys to get a set before they shut down for good.
Still going to trim the bars down by 3/4", then it will be pretty close to perfect......for me....for now.
Be careful, you can buy a beater car for the amount of cash I spent to get here.
Everything you move, effects something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the info guys.

I did about 250 mi today, giving me around 500 mi on the bike so far. I originally thought that the rearset position of my legs/knees would bother me the most, but no issue there at all -- the main area of discomfort is at my elbows. Too much pressure on them. I definitely need to raise the bars up.

I also don't think the Corbin saddle I have is quite right. I tend to scoot up on the tank quite a bit, with the majority of my weight over my pubic arch (i.e. bone structure directly below genitalia) -- the Corbin I have seems designed for those that hug the tank with their knees and put their weight on their butts. I'll give the stock seat a try before I explore other options.

@twerth Thanks for the offer -- I'll likely take you up on that, just not at the moment -- can't have too much moto cash fly out the window before the wife starts to notice...

My priority right now is sorting out these front brakes. The feedback is unacceptable, bordering on dangerous. I'm gonna start by removing the wheel and scrubbing down the rotors with gusto as the other threads seem to suggest works in many cases.

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
They border on Unobtainium, but the OEM seats for the new style ST's, which will fit the older models as well, are quite comfortable. So are the later model Ducati Performance touring seats.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They border on Unobtainium, but the OEM seats for the new style ST's, which will fit the older models as well, are quite comfortable. So are the later model Ducati Performance touring seats.
When you say "new style" STs, which are you referring to?

·
Still needs a life.
12,487 Posts
The last model ST4s like yours and the ST3/3s. Rereading one of your earlier posts more carefully, I see that you still have the OEM seat to your new ST4s. Try it, I think you'll like it. It may even help you with the ergo problems associated with the handle bars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The last model ST4s like yours and the ST3/3s. Rereading one of your earlier posts more carefully, I see that you still have the OEM seat to your new ST4s. Try it, I think you'll like it. It may even help you with the ergo problems associated with the handle bars.
Ah ha -- makes sense. I have a perfect condition stock seat. I'll give it a shot. (y)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts