Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya Folks,

New to posting on the forum but have been lurking for months now. Owned many Harley's (still have 2) and a BMW K1200GT. I missed having a Sport Tourer in the stable so I picked up a 02 ST4S with 13k miles from the original owner in March of this year and have put roughly 1200 miles on it since. Just spent some cash recently and did some upgrades and parts replacement.

Perhaps I did too much at once before I was used to the Ducati quirks (this is my first Duc), but some things I noticed after replacing the clutch, levers and adding throttle tamer I just wanted to make sure this is "normal" for this beast.

Some details: Ducati Designs Headlight Kit, Pireli Angel Tires, Shorai L-Ion Battery, G2 Throttle Tamer, 14/38 sprockets, EK Quadra X-ring Chain, RCM Slave, LT's "Full Monty" with Surflex Clutch Pack, and CRG Levers.

Q1: So I thought I had adjusted the pushrod on the clutch lever correctly, but today after having installed the new clutch kit, I noticed under hard acceleration about 4500 RPM the engine just started to spool to 7k with little acceleration increase. I pulled over and backed out the adjuster on the CRG lever a few times until the clutch stopped slipping under acceleration. My question is there a specific measurement or range that the pushrod should be moving into the master? How do I know when I have it right? I don't want to be burning up a new $1k clutch kit. Seems to be ok now, but neutral is a bit hard to find and it is clunking into gear a bit more than I seem to remember. Thoughts or techniques to properly adjust?

Q2: Apparently I can up and down shift without the use of the clutch...? (I know probably a dumb observation to have just noticed) On my other bikes (Harleys) I can stand on the shifter without having the thing move, is that due to the cable actuation vs hydraulic or just model specific? Didn't seem to hurt anything when I did it on the Duc, but I wasn't accelerating very hard and in combination with the clutch and lever replacement, I didn't know if it was doing this beforehand or if it was relative to the parts I had changed out or needed to adjust. Help me out here - is this normal?

Q3: Why or how would my speedometer be off? The only mod the previous owner had made to the bike was the addition of the front 14t sprocket. I have been noticing on the highway that 75 MPH indicated appears to be 65-68 relative to other traffic. Can this be adjusted and would the change of the sprocket relate to this or is it a common complaint on this bike?

Thanks for everyone's help on this. I Love my new ST4s, even more than the BMW I had prior. Great machine, and the wealth of information on this board is astounding. I'll Have pics up for everyone soon!

Thanks!

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Hi & welcome

Not aware of an actual spec for the clutch pusg-rod but sounds like you nearly have it right anyway. The new 'uprated' slaves can cause a slight problem on selecting neutral and standstill due tpo insufficient activation , just get in the habit of clicking neutral just before stopping.

Changing gear without the clutch is normal on most bikes regardless of type of clutch but it is a technique to be perfected. Up-changes are easier , just lightly unload the throttle before pushing the lever and thats it. Downwards can be more of a problem as it takes a lot more practice to get it right and the impact on the transmission if done wrong (ignoring slipper clutches) is much greater so most people choose not to bother.

Speedo error is normal , usually about 10% , the trip is usually pretty accurate.
The drive is taken from the front wheel by cable so changing the rear gearing etc has no impact.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome aboard. I picked up an st4 last summer after 20 something years on an HD and another 1`0 years on moto X. I did a few of the same mods, the DD headlight, the Angles, new clutch slave. I just put on a lighter set of wheels this week too.

Its funny that you mentioned the ability to flick the gears without the clutch. I had just assumed it was a function of a better gear box more in tune with performance riding then any of the clunky HD’s I owned. It didn’t take long to get good at whipping through the gears up and down.

Where is the obligatory picture?

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
For the clutch, make sure the master is bled well. Adust the pin so the you see a small disturbance in the resevoir with just a small movement of the lever.

I always shift with the clutch. On upshifts, merely brushing the lever is enough. I prefer to take it easy on the transmission and not add shock loads to the drive system.

Congrats on the new ST. Enjoy it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
On my ST the speedo drive is rear wheel, odo is extremely accurate, speedo is off by exactly as much as you indicated.

I contemplated a speedo healer, but then the odo would be off in the same direction the other way. ODO accuracy is more important the speedo accuacy for me.

I never down shift with no clutch, upshifting is easy just back off the throttle slightly. Thay being said, the DQS on my 1198 has me spoiled and im contemplating an HM quick shift for my ST.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
On my ST the speedo drive is rear wheel, odo is extremely accurate, speedo is off by exactly as much as you indicated.

I contemplated a speedo healer, but then the odo would be off in the same direction the other way. ODO accuracy is more important the speedo accuacy for me.

I never down shift with no clutch, upshifting is easy just back off the throttle slightly. Thay being said, the DQS on my 1198 has me spoiled and im contemplating an HM quick shift for my ST.
All the ST3's and the late ST4s's have the rear , electronic speedo drive but the OP has a 2002 so not relevant to his query.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Same issue as far as the speedo on my '03 ST4s...10% lower than what it reads would get you pretty close.
I placed CRG levers on mine and played with the rod just a bit and had to reaquaint myself with finding neutral. It will work, just find the time to do it right.
...and always have used the clutch up and down, but can understand the powershift as it slips in with little effort on those levers.

Lastly, ...Welcome!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome everyone!

I am glad I am not the only one who has experienced these quirks - makes me feel a bit more secure in my purchase and not like I am losing my mind!

I'm sure I will be asking for info or clarification as the months go by and things pop up, but for now a sincere thanks for the info and making me feel welcome to the forum.

I'll see if I can't find some pics for you all to put up shortly!

Frozn

1 - 9 of 9 Posts