Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 2003 st4 a couple days ago, for someone who has HDs it is quite different think I'm in love What rpm range do these bikes like? I don't want to be lugging it down

·
Ducati Designs
1,124 Posts
Congratulations on getting one classy bike! They do like to rev a bit more than you are probably used to. Crusiing at 4000-7000 rpm is the sweet spot. Below 4K they can get a bit lumpy if the tune is not perfect. The stock 38T rear sprocket doesn't help, so a great mod is installing a 42-43T rear, making the bike much more lovable at city speeds.

Enjoy!

pg
DD

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I am getting a lot of ST owning neighbors. What Paul wrote is applicable to the ST4s. I assume that if your ST is an MY 03, it is an ST4s and not an ST4 as you originally posted.

Get a 42T or 43T rear sprocket ASAP if there is not one already on the bike. It will really make life on your bike livable between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm at posted speed limits. Even with a larger rear sprocket, it will not like life below 3,000 rpm at all.

These bikes do not get broken in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer. After that, they will really smooth out.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yu, echo what the chaps here said.
it is mot likely an ST4s, which is the 117Bhp, 996cc Desmoquatro motor, plus the Ohlins rear shock and fully adjustable Gold Nitride Showa Forks. Proper!

Basically, if the chromed bit of the front froks looks a brassy/golden colour, is the s version.

The simple mod of 14tooth front sprocket will improve low range driavbility, but it will happily cruise one up at anything from 4k onwards. WIth the 14t sprocket, I find about 5.8 to 6k in fifth is just fine as there's plenty of power on tap to roll on for overtakes.

But 10,500 rpm is the rev limiter and you'll know when you hit it as it just dies. Give a bug toe up to the next ratio and wind it on!

A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for cruising rpm help

I am getting a lot of ST owning neighbors. What Paul wrote is applicable to the ST4s. I assume that if your ST is an MY 03, it is an ST4s and not an ST4 as you originally posted.

Get a 42T or 43T rear sprocket ASAP if there is not one already on the bike. It will really make life on your bike livable between 3,000 and 4,000 rpm at posted speed limits. Even with a larger rear sprocket, it will not like life below 3,000 rpm at all.

These bikes do not get broken in until 10,000 miles are on the odometer. After that, they will really smooth out.
I just lost out on some Ducati performance mufflers What are your feelings about those d&d exhaust?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
My first Ducati was a 94 Monster. I bought it used with D and D pipes. Frankly, they were a bit too loud. I have Forza pipes on my ST4 and it sounds nice. My favorite pipes were the Arrows on my 916. Very mellow.

Mike

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
I just lost out on some Ducati performance mufflers What are your feelings about those d&d exhaust?
I have always kept the exhaust systems stock on the three ST's I have owned. The mufflers will get a little louder with age. Take the $$$ you would spend on aftermarket mufflers and buy a Ducati Designs headlight.
http://www.ducatidesigns.com/inc/sdetail/35

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My first Ducati was a 94 Monster. I bought it used with D and D pipes. Frankly, they were a bit too loud. I have Forza pipes on my ST4 and it sounds nice. My favorite pipes were the Arrows on my 916. Very mellow.

Mike
fixed the pipe problem following a thread here, by cutting out half the muffler off easy fix except for breaking all but bolts off in the muffler maybe stainless isn't the best for that application. sounds like the 1976 Bonneville 750 I had 18 yrs ago, not too loud. My next newbie question is how can I lower my baby down, I'm 5'4" An inch or 2 would be nice if possible

1 - 8 of 8 Posts