Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bout an ST4s 04, didn't notice til a few miles in that it's very "surgy", impossible to drive smooth at slower speeds. It has a pair of Sil Moto slip ons, would it get smoother with stock pipes? I'd buy a set of stock pipes from someone.........my neighbors would thank me.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I don't think .............

...........the exhaust alone would cause those symtoms, at least it didn't to my '04 ST4s. I would be looking more at the TPS setting & throttle body synch. Is the air box lid still stock? If the air box is opened up that could make a difference. Hope this helps.
Gregg

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Not sure if this helps but when I bought mine with only 400 miles on the clock, I had the dealer add a set of GPR CF pipes prior to pick up. They did not change any of the factory settings.
I always noticed that like you the bike would not sit at a nice speed at "around town" speeds no matter what gear. Out on the highway no worries. The GPR blurb said you could add the pipes with no other modifications.
i was always compensating for the "surgy" feel with the throttle. It was a pain in the ass!!

At my 6k mile service I completed everything I could myself but had to get the dealer to set the throttle bodies and check the CO levels.

At the headers the CO level was 1% where it should have been 3-4% (according to the dealer) Anyhow it made the world of difference after they adjusted the CO levels and now it runs fantastic around town. If measuring at the ends of the exhausts the CO levels should be around 1-1.5 % I think.

Anyhow if the 04 is set up the same as the 03 from factory then you should have this adjusted. I can't tell you how much it imporoved the rideability of the bike ...night and day!!

DONT put the stock pipes back on. Stuff the neighbours!! I changed back to stock for a while and now those pipes are sitting in the cupboard.

Mr. Bill Anderson was also correct..coming up on 10000 miles and I cannot believe the improvement in power....finally run the bike in:D

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Oh yeah Adrian I have stock airbox and also 15/42 gearing helped as well...the 15/42 was added before dealer 6k adjustment where the main difference was noticed

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re

Thanks for the input.....I'll check that out.

The front end shudders under medium to hard braking as well, I've had about 8 Ducs, all but 2 have done this......

I do want to lower the gearing as well, it's very tall....... Does anyone know if (at 5k) you can just replace the rear sproket? Or all......?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I had problems with shuddering when braking, but it turned out to be glazed pads. I performed several gentle back to back stops to get the brakes warmed up. I knew they were warm when it took just a light grab to get the bike to stop fast again. The shuddering went away after that. So I just started braking harder all the time and that seems to have kept it at bay. I also cleaned and freed the buttons by twirling them around a few times, which is also something I do every 6 months or so now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts