Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday, 3/3/'06, I went to the dealership and picked up my brand new 2005 Ducati ST3 in glossy black paint. While the salesman was running me through a description of the controls, the break-in procedure, etc. I was pacing and monitoring a big ol' snow/rain cloud that blowing into the valley. Finally, I cut him off and told that I had to get rollin'. The girlfriend, sweet Lisa, had driven me out to the dealership and, despite my entreaties, she stayed so that she could follow me home. (We were scheduled to attend a party and I think she was afraid that I might not show up.) So, she followed me in the Trooper. Last thing I could hear was, "Be care-" and I was off.

At first, I was a bit nervous. It takes a little while before all the controls become instinctual....especially after coming off a BMW R1200C. But once on the interstate, I was grinning from ear to ear and whoopin' it up inside my helmet. This is gonna be fun.

On Saturday, I woke up at 7 a.m. and ran to the window. Now, usually I like big ol', wet snowflakes so thick that you can't distinguish between horizon and sky. But on the day after I picked up my new bike, I cursed wind and cloud. I went back to bed with owner's manual in one hand and coffee in the other. Hmmph.

Weather hasn't been any more accommodating, since. So, I'm reading the forum and dreaming about the ride. Here are a couple of questions:

I live in Montana, and the riding season is short enough already, so I was thinking that I will need help keeping my hands thawed. Would you opt for heated gloves or heated grips. Which type(s)?

Has anyone used the Laminar Lip? If so, which type (Touring or Regular)? Is it worth it?

Is there anything else that I must have to optimize my riding experience?

Oh yeah...any ideas for a six-character vanity plate? They're relatively inexpensive in MT.

Thanks for reading and any input/advice you might have for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Congrats on the the new bike, and good choice!!! I have a black 2005.

I wouldn't do too much to the bike yet, until you get to ride some and figure out what you really need. I intially thought that I would like bar risers, lowering peg-plates, and a sport-touring windscreen. I bought the lowering plates and now don't use them. I didn't buy the bar risers, but now I ride with the bars in the lowest position. Go figure?? And I find the stock windscreen just fine.

However, if you have some extra money left over, I sure would like to have my front forks revalved with a stiffer spring and a Penske rear shock. Oh, and a digital video camera would be nice too!!

My point is: Ride it to figure out what you really want. Then upgrade or add on!!

Have fun!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Electric jacket liner and electric gloves keep me riding year 'round - as long as there's no snow or ice.

I knew I'd need power access for electrics and communications when riding two up, so I installed some powerlets in the front panel.

and a RAM mount here, for the GPS

Congrats. Spring is coming!

:)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. The smiles have just begun !

IMHO the ST looks fabulous in black. When you get a chance, take off the rear swing arm and polish/buff out the aluminum. What an improvement in the looks !

New2Duc said:
Friday, 3/3/'06, I went to the dealership and picked up my brand new 2005 Ducati ST3 in glossy black paint. While the salesman was running me through a description of the controls, the break-in procedure, etc. I was pacing and monitoring a big ol' snow/rain cloud that blowing into the valley. Finally, I cut him off and told that I had to get rollin'. The girlfriend, sweet Lisa, had driven me out to the dealership and, despite my entreaties, she stayed so that she could follow me home. (We were scheduled to attend a party and I think she was afraid that I might not show up.) So, she followed me in the Trooper. Last thing I could hear was, "Be care-" and I was off.

At first, I was a bit nervous. It takes a little while before all the controls become instinctual....especially after coming off a BMW R1200C. But once on the interstate, I was grinning from ear to ear and whoopin' it up inside my helmet. This is gonna be fun.

On Saturday, I woke up at 7 a.m. and ran to the window. Now, usually I like big ol', wet snowflakes so thick that you can't distinguish between horizon and sky. But on the day after I picked up my new bike, I cursed wind and cloud. I went back to bed with owner's manual in one hand and coffee in the other. Hmmph.

Weather hasn't been any more accommodating, since. So, I'm reading the forum and dreaming about the ride. Here are a couple of questions:

I live in Montana, and the riding season is short enough already, so I was thinking that I will need help keeping my hands thawed. Would you opt for heated gloves or heated grips. Which type(s)?

Has anyone used the Laminar Lip? If so, which type (Touring or Regular)? Is it worth it?

Oh yeah...any ideas for a six-character vanity plate? They're relatively inexpensive in MT.

Thanks for reading and any input/advice you might have for me.

·
Registered
319 Posts
congrats'...I have heated grips that do me fine around the southern california mountains where it can get to freezing but isn't as cold as where your at. As mentioned above powerlets has some good options for whichever way you go for heated clothing! And as mentioned above just get some miles in and what you need will become evident!! My inlaws live in stevensville just out of missoula. They have been there for 7 years and my wife goes up every year. I have yet to make it but I know it is just gorgeous up there!! I will be visiting them this summer (via a car with the family). Are you in missoula itself?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've had my ST3 (05MY) for about 9 months, and last week went on a long ride with a group of buddies. With new Continental Road Attack tyres on it, it stuck to the twisties like glue at high speed..... I swear I had a huge grin on my face for 3 hours non-stop at one stage!!!!

Great bike.

Have FUN.

Doc

·
Registered
69 Posts
New2Duc said:

Heated grips and winter gloves. Symtec (sp?) grips w/round rocker switch, the resistor is already installed. Just be sure to wire into a relay powered circuit directly off battery, use a switched circuit to be sure it powers off when key is in off position to keep from draining battery. PM me if you need help with wiring daigram and/or instructions...it is very basic and safe DC circuit. For gloves, check the Rev'It Celcius and Held Hawk. I use the Rev'It's comfortably into mid-teens F w/o any numbness. Just be sure whatever gloves you choose have thin palms to provide proper feel of controls while also allowing heat from grip to warm hands. The backside of glove should be windproof and waterproof w/plenty of insulation. The PCM wax insulation is very effective.

What are you trying to accomplish or abate with this type device? If anything, I'd prefer a lower windscreen like the 1st generation ST2/4 series. In fact, when i find the time to get to my local Ducati shop i intend to check what lower screen options are available for my '04 ST3. I suspect ZG may offer a db screen, maybe a CeeBailey custom screen may be an option. Lower screen should equal less turbulence and noise which is more important to me than wheather protection. I also suspect a lower profile screen will possibly improve crosswind stability, the one complaint I have with this bike. I have found this bike is a handfull in strong crosswinds.

Suspension work should be any ST owner's primary area of upgrade. The fork valving was probably best on the 1998-2000 ST2/4 Showa's. Since then, the fork valving has ranged from mediocre to terrible. An Ohlins or Penske valve kit and stiffer fork springs will provide monumental improvement in ride response and feel. The OEM ST3 Sachs-Boge rear damper is passable but if you're upgrading the forks, the rear damper upgrade should be next priority. I'd suggest spending the could $$ extra on a Penske 3-way for best performance and servicability but an Ohlins is also a very fine unit...just not as tunable and MUCH harder to service. After that, do everything you can to shed lbs form unsprung mass and the rewards will astound you. Target areas are alloy swingarm, forged wheels, lightweight full-floating brakes, 520 conversion kit.

I'd personally do as little as possible to draw attention to bike. primary reason being it's less appealing to theives if they don't know how special your bike is. Secondly, it's nice to have the proverbial wolf in sheeps clothing. The sportbike guys pull up to you, most recognize the bike as a sport-TOURING bike thus giving you the opportunity to prove to them it's really a SPORT-touring machine that just dropped them like a bad habit. BTW: If you're gonna go showing up the kids in the sportbikes, you'll need to raise the rear-end using the height adjustment on the Penske damper as well as lose the center stand and install smaller oval cans such as the Remus units which will still drag a bit at leading edge but not nearly as bad as the stockers which literally dented at lower leading edge when dragged at aggressive lean angles.

Most of all, ride it like you stole it and have fun! Take care

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
Last June I rode US 12 east over Lolo Pass, spent the night in Missoula, and rode Montana 200 back west towards home. You have the perfect bike to enjoy the twisty roads and liberal speed limits of Montana.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Vanity Plate Ideas:

For my black '05 ST4s I really wanted BLKDUK (already taken), as well as was BLKDUC. I ended up with BLCDUC, which isn't as good, but was the best I could do here in VA. It's a great color for the ST, and I know you'll love it!

·
Still needs a life.
12,590 Posts
New2Duc said:
A Montana vanity plate should be "BIGSKY". Attached is a photo of my trip up Hwy. 12. Just be careful on the Idaho side, which is a 60 mph hwy. posted 50 and regularly patroled by an officer who likes to ticket (guess how I know?). The Montana side is a 50 mph hwy. posted 70.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the Duc world - I recognize all those feelings from trading up from Gold Wings 14 months ago. Re: your questions...
- there are a number of posts here that say the Laminar Lips are ineffective on the STs. Some folks think the Zero Gravity replacement screen is good - you can search for that. I first thought I needed something different but have gotten used to the airflow and just haven't felt like spending the $100+ but then this is FAR southern Calif.

- I bought the top case for mine, and love that as it makes the bike useable transportation in so many more situations. That great GF you have might also like it as it becomes a backrest. I think the useable space now exceeds my 2001 Gold Wing, and it's very easy to dismount when you're not in that mode.

- I added a Throttlemeister 'cruise control'...well made, effective, not too expensive (~$100)

Other that that, I agree with those who suggested to ride it a while and decide what you need. I found the Duc needed a lot less farkles to make it 'perfect' than the Wings.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Please

bevel450 said:
IMHO the ST looks fabulous in black.
Someone post a pic. I wanted a Silver, eliminated in '06. The only black I've seen are press photos, which don't look very good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Where did you get your topcase?? The local dealer doesn't seem to be too interested in stocking Ducati accessories.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bill_Anderson said:
A Montana vanity plate should be "BIGSKY". Attached is a photo of my trip up Hwy. 12. Just be careful on the Idaho side, which is a 60 mph hwy. posted 50 and regularly patroled by an officer who likes to ticket (guess how I know?). The Montana side is a 50 mph hwy. posted 70.

Yep, those IDHPs love to lie in wait for unsuspecting motorcyclists. The Montana side is much more fun. But you have to go to ID to eat at the Lochsa Lodge, and it is well worth it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
New2Duc said:
Where did you get your topcase?? The local dealer doesn't seem to be too interested in stocking Ducati accessories.
Any good Ducati Dealer can get them for you.. I got mine in less then two weeks from the day I paid for it.. Be carefull of the foot peg allen bolts. I stripped mine out and paid the Ducati Mechanic to get them out and give me some real allen bolts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts