Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll shortly be picking up my first ST- a '98 ST2 in silver. I've searched around a bit, but can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. Can somebody give me a quick rundown on the relative merits of the DP, FBF and FIM chips? Also, is there a PowerCommander available for a '98 ST2 or not?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
204 Posts
No Power Commander available. I found the FBF chip ran rich. Currently run FIM chip. Noticable improvement in power over stock chip as well as smoother running at lower rpms.

·
Registered
313 Posts
No Power Commander available. I found the FBF chip ran rich. Currently run FIM chip. Noticable improvement in power over stock chip as well as smoother running at lower rpms.
Isn't FIM out of business? Is there anyone still supplying these chips?

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
+1 on the FIM. Harder to get now, maybe BCM still has some.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies so far. Can anybody compare the DP chip to the FIM (or FBF)?

To put it in context, I managed to get a DP chip of eBay for $50 this morning. The bike I'm getting already has FBF carbon cans and cutting the airbox lid is easy enough. Should I just go down that path or is the FIM (or FBF) that much better that it's worth tracking one down?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far. Can anybody compare the DP chip to the FIM (or FBF)?

Should I just go down that path or is the FIM (or FBF) that much better that it's worth tracking one down?

Thoughts?
I tried a DP chip first and later installed the FIM on my '98 ST2. The FIM was definitely the better choice between the two.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried a DP chip first and later installed the FIM on my '98 ST2. The FIM was definitely the better choice between the two.
Thanks, on what dimensions was it better- power, driveability, both?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really recall there being much if any power increase however the driveability was much improved.
Thanks again! Were there any other relevant mods to the bike when you used the chips- open airbox & exhaust for instance?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Thanks again! Were there any other relevant mods to the bike when you used the chips- open airbox & exhaust for instance?
Yeah my airbox mod is a K&N with snorkles removed with two scat hoses between the intake and airbox. Staintunes with restricters removed.
Later mods were Nichols flywheel, Charlie clutch basket and 14t drive sprocket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah my airbox mod is a K&N with snorkles removed with two scat hoses between the intake and airbox. Staintunes with restricters removed.
Later mods were Nichols flywheel, Charlie clutch basket and 14t drive sprocket.
Thanks! BTW, I love your profile and signature pics. Is the plane yours?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts