Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems the new Strada Aperta is more and more looking like a ST bike, NOT a so called Adventure bike. Check out the latest news I clipped from another site:

http://www.motoblog.it/post/20472/f...stradaperta-2010-spuntano-le-borse-da-viaggio

"..."The 'road enduro' of which many spy photos exist will be there[EICMA]...however, we don't think of it as an 'road enduro' like the mags describe it," says Diego Sgorbati, Ducati vice president of marketing in an interview with an Italian magazine. That's the first official quote related to the Ducati Strada Aperta a new adventure touring model that's expected to be in the same vein as the Yamaha TDM, new Triumph Tiger and KTM 990 SMT.

"Ducati is looking at many segments, scooters, custom, enduro, off-road...it's a normal expansion," says Sgorbati. "Before going down one road though we look at all the potential barriers, technological and distribution related. For example, how many of our dealers can sell a superbike, as well as a motocross bike? Also, does it match the 'soul' of the brand, does it make sense? What worked 20 years ago might not make sense today. [The Ducati Vyper cruiser] in any kind of near future, yes, it's out. Maybe in 4-5 years we would look at the custom market to as well as other segments to see where we could expand."

It's expected that the Strada Aperta will use a version of Ducati's water-cooled V-Twin although its not known if that will be the Ducati Streetfighter's 1099cc engine or the newer 1198.4cc motor. That engine and the street-focused running gear evident in the pictures above and in other Strada Aperta spy shots indicates that while the bike might be tall like a giant trailie, it's focus will resolutely be on-road performance, hence the name, which translates to "Open Road." ..."

·
Registered
242 Posts
Interesting to see. The test bike there definitely has a 4v engine in it, and looks to have a different frame/ ergos from the multi.

Definitely looks like a streetfighter motor in there sans the goofy split radiator.

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting to see. The test bike there definitely has a 4v engine in it, and looks to have a different frame/ ergos from the multi.

Definitely looks like a streetfighter motor in there sans the goofy split radiator.
I can't believe Ducati would use "pod" type rads on a bike, after I've been expressing my opinion on how ugly they are on the Buell 1125r for a year now. I guess they haven't been listening. If sales suffer, it's not my fault! LOL! :) Lets hope they look a lot better than the fugly Buell's rad system.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I can't believe Ducati would use "pod" type rads on a bike, after I've been expressing my opinion on how ugly they are on the Buell 1125r for a year now. I guess they haven't been listening. If sales suffer, it's not my fault! LOL! :) Lets hope they look a lot better than the fugly Buell's rad system.
Are they pods? I thought after looking at the other spy shots that it was a big honking shroud that turns into the nose/fender like the hyper.

If it has the big snout it's a definite turn-off for me, and without sufficient fairing, how can it even be called a tourer?

·
7,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I can say for certain about that recent spy shot is they got the colour right. ;)

I'm guessing it's a split rad system based on the amount of travel in the fork as per the slider length. I hope I'm wrong and it's as you say the side fairings and not "pods".

I too am no a big fan of the "snout" look, on any bike. But, if it all comes together/is nicely intergrated, even with a snout and pods/side rads, I could be persuaded. :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Doesn't look like the buell rads. It looks like they are using the extra space provided by the multi style ergos and suspension setup. I will say their test mules always have the craziest paint jobs, they're not fooling anyone!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
Here's the bigger version that Mark Turbo posted in the other thread:

It really looks like the radiator is a standard configuration, and the strakes are there for the airbox.

The bigger question, where is the oil cooler?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Those "pods" could be just more camo for the spy cameras. My guess oil cooler is up like the existing multi. I had heard that they are definitely using the 1098 1198 motor though. For one, I will not buy another 4-valve desmo touring model again. (Well, if I win the lottery maybe will rethink)

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts