Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is it just me or is the SS due for a change of some kind in the near future?

are they any ideas out there as to what might be? where they might go?

I thought I rememberd reading a while back on here where some thought that Ducati would do away with the SS alltogether?

Anyone have any info??

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hear the SS is a bigger seller in Europe than the US, and the SS line is a staple. taking it away would be akin to Harley taking the Sportster out of the line.

And yes, they restyled the SS, it is called a PS1000LE :>

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what you and I might think of the SS line, might be completely different than what the powers that be think over there...

I love the bike, I think it's a great all around machine, but.....if it's not the way THEY see it....

I'm just wondering when the next restyle will be out, what to expect, anything new, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I kinda like the way it looks now. But, evolution towards styling something like the 996 would be nice - simpler fairing design, more purposeful with less ornementation. I guess in a way that would make it look more like the pre-99 SS bikes, except around the nose fairing. Doubt you would see that from Terblanche though - he has a tendency towards the avant garde, to put it mildly.

Any SS design needs to highlight the trellis frame and the motor cooling fins. I would say the biggest anachronism in the current design is the two huge, round aluminum silencers. They are soooooo 1985. But undertail exhausts are now also getting to be passe. So, maybe the new SS should have peg pipes, and a minimalist fairing to show off the pretty mechanical bits. A slightly more humane riding position wouldn't exactly hurt sales either.

Simple, light, elegant, reasonably comfortable, with above average suspension and brakes. That is the SS.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See, the SS just isn't that uncomfortable to me! I guess it's because I'm young, and more agile? I have no problems doing 500 mile days on my ss...just haven't gotten the chance to do more in a day, but I know I'd be fine. Then again, I do have the Cycle Cat bars on my bike as well...

I dono, I just think that if you're looking for a more upright riding position, you shouldn't be looking for a sport bike like the super sport....more ST....but that's just me

I like the look of the current model, I actually like it better than the older SS, again, that's probably because I'm young.

Dono, the old ss just looks unfinished, lines don't flow as smoothly, esp. not compared to the original greenframe.

I like Terblanche's designs, but then again, I generally like new designs over old ones in the first place. :)

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
I think it could use an update, but not much more than changes to the plastic. I very much like my SS. I have never thought of it as ugly compared to the older SS design. In fact, being new to Ducati at the time I bought my bike (2001), I thought the old SS was pretty hideous looking. My first impression of it was "what 1970's Volvo did they steel that freaking headlight from"!!!! I was just never drawn to that bike like I was to the latest design. Now, before I get banned from this site, I must say that over the years I have come to really like the older SS. It did take some time though. Point being, your average non-Ducati civilian really likes the look of the new SS compared to the old... It's mostly the "Ducati purists" among us who may think otherwise... You could argue that sales figures suggest that isn't true, but I would say at least part of the reason for low sales is the fact that the spec sheet doesn't (and can't) convey they real experience of riding and owning one these bikes. The problem is, when we're talking about laying down a lot of cash for a bike that is somewhat behind in technology and power, people are going to go with the bike they consider to be a better deal unless they just know they want an SS. That “other bike” is pretty much any other bike on the market for the most part. Oh well, their loss! Anyway, I'd update the faring to something a little simpler (less swoops and unnecessary vents). If I had to pick one thing on my bike that I didn't like and would love to see go away, it would be that shark mouth looking thing on the leading edge of the lower fairing. I could do with out that, and those three little slotted vents in the same location. Everything else, I like. I also think an SS must be an air-cooled 2V with a simple rear suspension and double sided swing arm. Simple, light, and clean.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
SportClassics replace the SS?

Not for me. The Retro machines are pretty, but I want to step forward in design/technology, not backwards.

Update the design (please, Pierre, look at the Bimota DB5), reduce weight like you can with an air-cooled design (under 400# wet would be good), give us the best chassis parts (at least in an "R" model) and add a bit of HP (over 100, please). Now that's a new SS I would buy.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
rz33v4 said:
reduce weight like you can with an air-cooled design (under 400# wet would be good), give us the best chassis parts (at least in an "R" model) and add a bit of HP (over 100, please). Now that's a new SS I would buy.
Well, since I can't buy it, I'm building it. Wheels, suspension, weight reduction this winter, 1078cc kit and head work next.

The BSTs are ordered, CF fenders on order, slipper clutch, 200g flywheel, CF belt covers, and fiberglass half-fairing waiting to be installed. Composite tank, flull-floater buttons and CF cans already installed. Blinkers to be removed.

Tom

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
st2lemans said:
Well, since I can't buy it, I'm building it. Wheels, suspension, weight reduction this winter, 1078cc kit and head work next.

The BSTs are ordered, CF fenders on order, slipper clutch, 200g flywheel, CF belt covers, and fiberglass half-fairing waiting to be installed. Composite tank, flull-floater buttons and CF cans already installed. Blinkers to be removed.

Tom
in all reality, how much weight do you think you're going to save?

minus the wheels?

and are you removing the signals becuse you really think that's going to save that much weight? maybe you just threw that in there because it was going to be something your'e doing anyways...??

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
JDuc said:
in all reality, how much weight do you think you're going to save?

minus the wheels?

and are you removing the signals becuse you really think that's going to save that much weight? maybe you just threw that in there because it was going to be something your'e doing anyways...??
Well, the tank saves 9 lbs, the CF cans 7 lbs. The CF fenders and belt covers 2 lbs. Signal lights, not sure, I have yet to weigh them. But I think they're ugly and where I live there is no legal requirement to retain them, so they go. Still need to weigh the fairing, but going from a full to small one saves a lot. 3 1/2 lbs off the flywheel, not sure about the clutch.

I knocked 40 lbs off my ST2 (including the wheels) doing this, no reason to think that I can't do the same with the SS, especially if I get the CMC front disks (another 5.5 lbs), and titanium rear disk and spring (another 2 lbs).

Tom

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Weight savings on SS

It sounds like you should have a good chunk of weight off your SS now Tom. I'm doing the same thing on mine right now too.

CF exhaust (custom full exhaust) -15lbs
Carbon-kevlar tank -9lbs
fiberglass bodywork (modified headlight/mirror frame, junked stock mirrors for
bar-ends) -6lbs
fiberglass monoseat (lost all crap sticking off back) -8lbs
forged alum wheels/aluminum rear sprocket -5.5lbs
Professionally lightened front and rear rotors -2.5lbs
Penske rear shock -1.5lbs
pulled all stock lights and turn signals / replaced with LED signals and custom
headlights -9lbs
custom rearsets -0
custom clip-ons -.25lb
engine mods reducing weight -6lbs
pulled anything that looked conspicuous (and couldn't give me a straight
answer to what it did) -about 5lbs
CF fenders
CF belt covers -2lbs (including fenders)

estimated weight loss when done: 69.75lbs
estimated wet weight when done: 368-375lbs

I'll find out what my final weight numbers are on my bike when done. Those numbers above are approximates, done individually. See what happens when done.

Brian C.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
Who did your exhaust?

A friend of mine has connections at Termignoni and can get me a full system, but at a price aproaching what I'm paying for the BSTs, I decided to pass, figuring the money would be better spent on some BrakeTech CMC disks.

I want to keep it a 2-seater, so a mono-seat is out, but maybe I can remove some underseat stuff.

Tom

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
1. Who indeed knows what the next SS will look like ? I'm less concerned with how it looks than what weight reduction plan they are going to put it on. It is positively pudgy !!

2. They don't take the SS too seriously in this market since the 4V product line came out. Seems that if it has a full fairing it needs to be a full Superbike.
Shame. Really like what some of the guys here are doing with their bikes.

Cheers,

JDuc said:
what you and I might think of the SS line, might be completely different than what the powers that be think over there...

I love the bike, I think it's a great all around machine, but.....if it's not the way THEY see it....

I'm just wondering when the next restyle will be out, what to expect, anything new, etc.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
New SS look

I'm not sure how much it will be individually yet Tom, however when done I can get you the price. It will be a spaghetti system, ceramic coated, both sides. The mufflers will be located under te seat a-la 916-996.

Brian C.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The Supersport might be due for a cosmetic makeover, weight reduction, and power increase. But I doubt they'll get any of it. According to Ducati, they only sold a world wide total of 1030 Supersports in 2005. That hardly justifies spending more money on the Supersport line to typical bean counters.

From my point of view, those dismal sales are the justification for a redesign. Unless Ducati has it in mind to become known not as a sport bike company, but as the provider of various air cooled standards and some retro bikes; a company that just produces a few racey sport bikes on the side.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Hickey said:
The Supersport might be due for a cosmetic makeover, weight reduction, and power increase. But I doubt they'll get any of it. According to Ducati, they only sold a world wide total of 1030 Supersports in 2005. That hardly justifies spending more money on the Supersport line to typical bean counters.
First I'd like to say im not a SS owner, nor have I followed their developement, and please correct me if im wrong.

I really have trouble distinguishing the late 80s through early 90s SBs from that year's SS. without of course looking at the 888 or 900SS markings. They were styled similarly, to my eyes atleast. So to me it looks like the same(ish) frame and body with a 4V or a 2V mill inside.

Even if that is not true. Why couldnt the next SB and SS share content with each other in the frame and body department? Like the monster line up for instance. Offering varying levels of content from a 620ie all the way up to the testa S4R (ive lost track of what a base monster is nowadays).

Ive never really understood the SS nitch, they look like SBs with 2V engines. Id love to see a 1000DS powered 749 chassis along the lines of the new bimota DB5.

If I missing a riding position issue. im sure that can be overcome with bars and adjustable mounting points for rearsets and what not.

That, im sure, would make the bean counters happy. and maybe keep the brand around a few more years.

Oscar

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
As a former SS/SP owner ('96 & '97) with approx. 60K SS miles, I'd argue that the SS is the best all-around street bike Ducati has ever made. Light, great handling & braking, excellent fuel economy and useable in town, on track or cross country camping. I loved my SS's and only sold mine because I had two deals I couldn't refuse; a Triumph Sprint for 2-up and a '02 998 at a killer price. If I could have only one bike, I'd own a SS1000DS in a heartbeat.

bruce19

·
Registered
84 Posts
The supersports are fantastic bikes. They just don't sell well. Neither do the Superbikes. Those two most sporty lines sold just over 7100 copies of the 34,536 bikes Ducati sold in 2005. To put it another way, only 20% of the Ducatis sold were actual sport bikes.

I'm not exactly sure why this is. But I suspect it might have something to do with prices and a very recent lack of racing success. When a company is in the business of selling street legal racing replicas, having successful racing programs is a matter of no small importance. The 999 and 749 series bikes just aren't winning like the 916 series did. Rules have changed and the competition has gotten stronger.

As to prices, they are simply too expensive to be considered by most sport bike enthusiasts. That includes the Supersport series. For as good as they are, due to the huge performance gap, the Supersports don't compete for sales against GSXRs. They compete against SV-650s which are several thousand dollars cheaper.

Buyers looking for a sub 100 HP level of performance are also paying close attention to price. When the inevitable comparisons are drawn between price and performance, Ducati isn't favored. Which is OK, because many buyers know they aren't just purchasing a spec sheet. But when the price difference gets to be big enough... Well, Supersport sales figures spell that out pretty well.

I'm of the opinion that the buying public will pay more to get slightly less if there are enough intangible benefits. But they generally aren't willing to pay a lot more to get a lot less, no matter what the perks of ownership are likely to be. If Ducati wants to be a small company with small sales at huge margins, then they have to offer more -- a lot more than their competition. If they offer less, then their prices must reflect that.

I'm not ripping on Supersports. I like those bikes. But I'd like them a whole lot more if they cost a couple of thousand less. Just as I'd like the Superbikes more if they cost a few thousand less.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
The next SS

I don't think price is the issue with the SS line, but value is. In a world crazy about HP, Ducati doesn't have enough in the SS and to make matters worse, these air-cooled bikes weigh more than Japanese 600s which have more power and cost less. No wonder the SSs don't sell.

All is not lost, however. Ducati has a good engine in the 1000DS, one more suited to road usage than any of the Japanese 600s. All they need is new styling and a serious weight reduction program to create a differentiated entry no other manufacturer offers (high torque/low weight).

Instead of building SportClassics and Hypermotards, please update the SS line, Ducati.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
New SS

OBTW, if you think what I propose can't work, look at the initial response to the Triumph 675. Triumph has appropriately differentiated that entry versus the 600s and it looks like its working for them.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts