Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought my Paul Smart was geared a bit too high so I had a 14-tooth sprocket installed this morning. (That’s one tooth smaller than the stock 15-tooth sprocket.) What an improvement!! The engine is in a much “happier” power band now – for all gears. The bike is much more responsive. I would highly recommend this particular modification for anyone with a Sports Classic.

I also ordered a “Ducati comfort windscreen with spoiler”. It’s coming from Italy so I have no idea when I will see it. I love the look of the stock screen but the stock screen causes some minor helmet buffeting for me. I think that the raised lip will stop the buffeting. We’ll see. (If it doesn't work it is easy to go back to the stock screen.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
I'm looking to go down one in front and up one in back. Not sure where/who to buy the sprockets from, and also not sure if I should go for a chain change too, if one is even available (530 to 520? What's on these bikes anyway?). :think: Any thoughts?

I'm also wondering if this sprocket changing will affect the speedo/odo readout and if there's a corrective fix for this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
ducremus said:
I'm also wondering if this sprocket changing will affect the speedo/odo readout and if there's a corrective fix for this.
this will not affect your speedo. the speedo sensor is mounted on the brake side of the back wheel and reads the disc bolts. no matter what you do to your gearing, your speedo will remain accurate. that is, unless you decide to run some dub spinners....then its a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
ducremus said:
I'm looking to go down one in front and up one in back. Not sure where/who to buy the sprockets from, and also not sure if I should go for a chain change too, if one is even available (530 to 520? What's on these bikes anyway?). :think: Any thoughts?

I'm also wondering if this sprocket changing will affect the speedo/odo readout and if there's a corrective fix for this.
Dear Uncle Remus (I always wanted to start a letter that way...)

The chain on yer Sport is a 525. Schprockets are available in 14th from Ducati, I believe I saw AFAM, etc. As to the back, Vortex and several others offer 52's (I know you can readily find an +2 (which if I recall is a 52). You can get one of these for about 75 bucks. The front 14 (I bought one for my PS1000) was like $44bucks. -Capt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
schprockets, schprockets and more schprockets!

kingcapt said:
Dear Uncle Remus (I always wanted to start a letter that way...)

The chain on yer Sport is a 525. Schprockets are available in 14th from Ducati, I believe I saw AFAM, etc. As to the back, Vortex and several others offer 52's (I know you can readily find an +2 (which if I recall is a 52). You can get one of these for about 75 bucks. The front 14 (I bought one for my PS1000) was like $44bucks. -Capt.
the 'schprocket' on the back end is a 38t, so don't look for a 52t unless you want to be a 'stunta' on your sportclassic. which would be funny, and depressing. ;)
also, afam makes both front and rear sprockets.
i have a plethera of tooth sizes in stock, as well as really strong 520 chain to go with your new sprockets. fronts are $39.95 - $42.95, rears are $69.95 - $74.95, depending on tooth size. chain'll run you about $120. (don't skimp on the chain, or you'll be adjusting it all the time. the cheaper ones always seem to stretch more).

if you want to talk exact details, call me. also, as a reccommendation, i would just go up a few teeth in the rear and stick with a 15t front if you're going to change the chain and the rear sprockets. the reason to go with a 14t is that it's an easy fix if you don't want to change the chain. if you're going to replace the chain, use a 15t front and go up 3 or 4 teeth in the rear. the smaller the front sprocket, the more you can wear out your chain.
so i'd advise a 15t front, 41t rear, and a 520 chain to go with both! (which is what i'll be doing as soon as paychecks allow!)

(sorry if that was really long...)

kat
(parts geek at motocorsa, 800.824.7061)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
Hill Climbs Anyone???

motocorsakat said:
the 'schprocket' on the back end is a 38t, so don't look for a 52t unless you want to be a 'stunta' on your sportclassic. which would be funny, and depressing. ;)...
kat
(parts geek at motocorsa, 800.824.7061)
Sorry Katmandoo,
I must've been really tired when I suggested the 52 rear...either that or I was thinking I was logged on to the Sport Classic Hill Climber Association Site... -Capt
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top