Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased my Multi and it is shit in gearing like every other ducati I have owned but ore rideable thanks to DVT.. almost every road test of the bike I consider to be invalid as they tested the bike with only 2nd through 7th gear effectively or at least 1.5 to 6.5 gears.

read through several cog threads.. definitely doing 14T up front.

1. Should I do 14 front and 41 rear as well or 14 and 40? ( i have 14 on my 996, Streetfighter , RSV4, m900...)
2. what is quickest way to purchase sprockets?
3. JT sprockets on amazon any good?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Just purchased my Multi and it is shit in gearing like every other ducati I have owned but ore rideable thanks to DVT.. almost every road test of the bike I consider to be invalid as they tested the bike with only 2nd through 7th gear effectively or at least 1.5 to 6.5 gears.

read through several cog threads.. definitely doing 14T up front.

1. Should I do 14 front and 41 rear as well or 14 and 40? ( i have 14 on my 996, Streetfighter , RSV4, m900...)
2. what is quickest way to purchase sprockets?
3. JT sprockets on amazon any good?
Sprocket Center is a sponsor on this forum, I purchased mine from them and had a good experience, others here have also. Not sure if they have a setup for the DVT yet but they probably do.

I have a '14 and the stock front with 42T rear (up 2 teeth from 40) was a fantastic change, drastic enough to improve response and acceleration without being too aggressive, MPG didn't change, and it still cruises well at freeway speeds (80-85ish), I imagine it'd be a great improvement on the DVT bike as well.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Sprocket Center is a sponsor on this forum, I purchased mine from them and had a good experience, others here have also. Not sure if they have a setup for the DVT yet but they probably do.

I have a '14 and the stock front with 42T rear (up 2 teeth from 40) was a fantastic change, drastic enough to improve response and acceleration without being too aggressive, MPG didn't change, and it still cruises well at freeway speeds (80-85ish), I imagine it'd be a great improvement on the DVT bike as well.
Sprocket center doesn't have 15 dvt yet..

For 14 and 42 switch do you need any extra chain links.. May be naive but doesn't it need a extra link or so?

·
Registered
50 Posts
For the 42T rear, no extra links needed. It just goes straight on, then re-adjust the chain as per the manual. There's enough adjustment available to take up the extra circumference of the 42T rear.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.. Decision time.

In all my current and past ducat is I did 14t front. Both in my 996 and streetfighterS I feel I could have gone 2 higher in the back as well to have a more useable gearbox playing in the canyons. My monster did have 14 and +3 in the back and was good.

I am leaning towards a 14T front and 42T rear on my new DVT.. More aggressive than my initial idea of just 14T front only.

Can 14/42 install people share experience please? Any negative of this setup.. Too aggressive?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Ok.. Decision time.

In all my current and past ducat is I did 14t front. Both in my 996 and streetfighterS I feel I could have gone 2 higher in the back as well to have a more useable gearbox playing in the canyons. My monster did have 14 and +3 in the back and was good.

I am leaning towards a 14T front and 42T rear on my new DVT.. More aggressive than my initial idea of just 14T front only.

Can 14/42 install people share experience please? Any negative of this setup.. Too aggressive?
I'd say try the 42T rear first to see what you think, but while you're in there maybe do 14/42 and then go back to 15 if it's too aggressive - you might have to take one for the team here, I don't recall any reports of people doing 14T front, but not sure.

However - if you've done 14T upgrades on a late model Streetfighter S (1098?) and found it agreeable, I'd think doing it on the DVT would be even more tame? The multis are geared to the moon, and DVT owners complain about a lack of low-end power, maybe 14/42 is what it needs? Please report your mpg and RPM changes at freeway / cruising speeds, and what changes on the low end power.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am pretty sure 14T has been done in some threads on dvt. Also 14T is more aggressive than 42Trearby someone call.

I will try both.. Can alway go back to 14/40..will report change

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Copper...
Do you ride Double at all, or just solo canyon riding?
I will be commuting, touring and canyon riding on my multi..w/ commute and canyon more than time to tour

ride all.. Now that my streetfighter S is sold.. This will also end up being my canyon bike except for days when I know cant]yon is all I roode.. I will take my 996 or aprilia rsv4

·
Registered
144 Posts
I put a 14 T on my DVD right after I got it and I think it's a good setup. 3rd gear redline is 108 MPH , set cruz to 90 MPH in 6th gear and your doing 5,600 RPM all day long. Take it up to 53 MPH (seems to be the magic number) in 2nd gear, wack it open and she stands straight up on the back tire and ride it out untill the rev limiter sets it down at just over 80. I do ride some with my wife and I think the lower gearing is better . I mostly commute and ride backroads on the weekends. At 13 K the chain os OK but starting to streach a bit so I started thinking about trying 14 + 41 with a quick change rear sprocket soon.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow! So you want even lower gearing? (41T) as to 40!
Gary~
I am going even lower 14 and 42

Ok went to dealership for 60o mile service. They did oil change, map update, fixed fuel level sensor, etc etc.. They almost got the sprockets on and realized they need to break chain and that they don't have master link for Regina chain and DID chain. So gave it back to me with stock chain and ordered a MasterLink so install in future.

After first 600 miles , One thing is for certain - stock gearing is shit! Just like all ducatis I have owned. This engine tuning and DVT makes it rideable. Need at least 14 front and may 1 or 2 clicks bigger on rear is optional. I have had 14 on all my ducs for more than 17 years with no issues.

I will know if 14 /42 is too much or good soon.. Will post

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think someone mentioned that 14T isn't possible because the chain will be running against the chaingliders

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CopperHeadMonster

How did the 14/42 turn out?
Brilliant!! Stock feels like a piece of shit just like every ducati i have owned - this motor is brilliant with 14/42. I maintain that is the best gearing period. If I had done just 14 on front i might have been disspoainted. Now i have 3000+ miles solo, commute, 2 up touring, canyon everything it feels great in all situations - 80mph in 6th @ 5000rpm - still smooth. Every mode feels better where the lower gears are more rideable and canyon rides more fun... the combination of DVT makes it even better...do you get i like it! This is how it should have come

If you still have stock gearing, you are idiot or chaz Davies... in fact all bike reviews are meaningless without right gearing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think someone mentioned that 14T isn't possible because the chain will be running against the chaingliders

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
3000+ since 14/42 change.. works great. I have had 14 on my 996, street fighter s, monsters, (-1) setup also on my rsv4... they all work no issues

Reactions: aschemkes

·
Registered
665 Posts
Brilliant!! Stock feels like a piece of shit just like every ducati i have owned - this motor is brilliant with 14/42. I maintain that is the best gearing period. If I had done just 14 on front i might have been disspoainted. Now i have 3000+ miles solo, commute, 2 up touring, canyon everything it feels great in all situations - 80mph in 6th @ 5000rpm - still smooth. Every mode feels better where the lower gears are more rideable and canyon rides more fun... the combination of DVT makes it even better...do you get i like it! This is how it should have come

If you still have stock gearing, you are idiot or chaz Davies... in fact all bike reviews are meaningless without right gearing.
don't you have to do a lot more shifting gears now? I ride a lot of canyons and most of the time i'm in 2nd sometimes tipping the 3rd for just a minute. I have 15/42. Going 1 down in front means shorter gearing hence more shifting, right?

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I dropped to a 14 up front and I was happy with the additional snap in every gear. Since then, I have installed a full exhaust system and re-flashed the ECU. With the substantial increase in midrange toque gained, I'm into the rev limiter instantly. I'm confident that I can pull a taller gear set up now, so I'm going with a 15/42 set up next :)

don't you have to do a lot more shifting gears now? I ride a lot of canyons and most of the time i'm in 2nd sometimes tipping the 3rd for just a minute. I have 15/42. Going 1 down in front means shorter gearing hence more shifting, right?

Reactions: neulee

·
Registered
211 Posts
After my 8k mile alaska trip my bike is in need of some more TLC once im home. need to get new rotors i think and pads, maybe another chain, and definitely new sprockets. Probably going to just bump up to 15/42 and I will report back on the differences. Whats really the best brand of sprockets for us? Are those black sprockets from sprocket center good quality?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts