Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just added a +2 rear sprocket on my 749 (41 teeth, up from 39). When I went to replace the rear wheel, there was less chain slack due to the extra teeth and I couldn't line up the axel, so I had to move the chain tensioner collars forward significantly.

I've read in other posts that usually you don't need to add links to your chain if you're only going +2. I checked the chain tension and I have about 31mm of play at the mid point. I guess my question is: Does moving the rear wheel forward to accomodate the new sprocket affect the wheelbase/ handling of the bike overall?

New Sprocket

Chain Tensioner setting

Chain Slack- looks ok

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yes, pushing the rear wheel fwd to fit the larger sprocket will make the bike's wheel base slightly shorter. Meaning the bike will turn a half a hair faster. In reality 99% of us will not really notice the difference. As long as you can get the 30-35mm of slack in the chain you'll be alright. I just did a 520 conversion to a 43T rear and kept the front at 14T. Much better pickup and 6th gear is usable now with only a speeding ticket rate of speed vice jail rate of speed. Good mod.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.