Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after about 2-3 weeks of debating, I finally bit the bullet today, and put down my deposit for a shiny new black Sport 1000. There are upsides and downsides, so I've kind of got that weird feeling going on right now. Forgive me if I'm rambling on about possibly being a new Duc owner. :p

My previous bike was a 2005 SV, of which I put quite a few miles on over the close to 4 years I've owned her. She's been my pride and joy. I put alot into her, and she gave alot back. But she's up there in mileage, and not running the best. She'll get me to and from work, but even trips longer than 50 miles have me questioning her dependability. (yes, I'm talking myself into believing I made a good decision)

I'd been looking at the Sport 1000 for quite a while. Looked at the 696 before that, but it just didn't feel right when I did a demo. I like how the 1000 feels, looks, and portrays itself as sort of a "muscle" bike, if there is such a thing. Not the "best fighter" with all the quick moves, fancy uniform, and flashy take-downs. But it'll take one of your eyes out... or just forfiet the hand-to-hand combat and shoot you in the face. At least that's how I see it.

Anyway, back from the tangent... talked with one guy, who was going to give me a great deal, but I backed down. Nothing they did... I just wasn't ready, I though. Then they call me back this week. Offer me a deal I can't refuse because they need to "get rid of the bike" (essentially selling it to me at invoice), but it involved trading in the SV, so I can afford the Sport.

It was a tough decision for me. I have alot invested in the SV... and not just monetary. I'm hoping there's not too much laughter going on at this point, but that SV meant alot to me. I'd been to NY with it a few times, went to Indy last fall, been through 4 crashes, changed it considerably asthetically, modded the crap out of it... the list goes on.

But I like to ride, and dependability is starting to be an issue. And to me, that takes the fun out of riding. And while the 1000 might not be the most practical bike for how I ride (commuting, weekend twisty humper), dammit... I like it. ;D You're only young once, right?

So... am I alone in this "feeling" I'm having right now? Or is this what happens when your DNA starts to turn Red, Green, and White? :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Dude, you are going to love it. The SV is a great bike, don't get me wrong, but the SC is going get your heart pumping in that lustful way that no Yamaha can come close to...

Reliability is not an issue for 99% of SC owners. Every now and then you hear a horror story about someone who had to take one back to the dealer umpteen times to get it running right, but those stories are drastically outnumbered by the guys like me who ride one every day with no reliability issues whatsoever.

I commute on one daily, ride through the twisty hills on weekends, and take the woman on an occasional joyride on one. I've strapped pizzas to the back, I've done a couple of 600 mile trips on one, I'm taking it to the track the next two weekends. I got a ticket going 95 on it two weeks ago and I didn't even care.

I can lift the front tire up in the first three gears. Girls, children, dogs and motorcycle riders all notice the bike and give anything in the range from a wistful nod to hysterical waving and jumping up and down.

The SC is a classy canyon carver, a totally adequate highway cruiser and if you want it to be, a stylin starbucks poseur-mobile.

It is faster than your SV, has more torque and is straight up better looking and more fun.

Don't worry, you are giving up that baby-fat covered highschool sweetheart who really loved you but wasn't that exciting for a super-hot redhead who is a few years older than you and scares you in bed.

Keep the rubber side down and enjoy it. I've been riding for over 20 years and this bike is the most fun I've had on any streetbike.

·
Registered
296 Posts
the SC is going get your heart pumping in that lustful way that no Yamaha can come close to...
Pretty sure the OP's SV is actually a Suzuki. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
AND, if his SV was a 1000, then the Sport isn't even as fast as his old bike. The DS1000 engine feels fast, but it's not nearly as powerful as the SV1000 engine.

Tilt, I'm not sure your decision (rationalization) to get the Ducati because you felt the SV was no longer as dependable as it used to be has any rationality at all, but people seldom choose Ducatis for rational reasons. The Suzuki provides FAR more power (in the 1000), miles, and dependability per dollar, and yet it pales by comparison. The SV is a VERY good motorcycle, but the Ducati completely outclasses it in "jeunesse se quoi," which is perfectly defined in Julie & Julia as: "I don't know what it is, but I like it."

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
read it again, thread OP has a SV650 for sure. :)

welcome to the world of real motorcycles. :cool:

·
Registered
555 Posts
ok, so here's the sexual analogy because there's already been a bit of skirting around the topic....

the SV is like that one night stand you wake up next to...."gee, that was great last night but right now I really wanna crawl out of bed, go take a piss, and quietly sneak out the front door before she wakes up".

whereas the SC is like that one night stand you wake up next to....."gee, that was great last night, hmmmm, think I might climb back on and wake her up with some gentle rythmic action...."

and my apologies to any ugly SV loving women out there.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha!

Yes, the SV was a 650. I know the SC will have more power, but honestly, I think I'm past the point in my life where that's an important selling point. Is that bad? :confused:

Anyway, I started having problems with the SV last November... ignition problems. Tore the whole thing apart down to the valves and did every possible diagnostic and gremlin chasing I could think of. Just couldn't solve the problem, so I ended up taking it to the shop (which just happens to be a Ducati dealer) and had the experts figure it out. Turns out there were about 3 things that were just plain worn out, that I just didn't have the know-how or experience to find.

Ever since then, the bike has felt sluggish. It runs... but not smoothly. It clunks. I know this is no reason to go out and buy a new bike, but there was that little voice in the back of my head that kept saying "seriously... you need to start looking at getting something younger and more reliable".

I loved my SV to death. Leaving her behind on Friday is going to be very difficult for me. Very. Like the loss of a loved one. Even thinking about it gets me choked up. I've spent alot of time on that bike, and while I know it's not the most miles every put on a motorcycle, or even an SV for that matter, I feel that 65k is up there. I remember every trip, every spill, every view, and every smell. She's been a good bike to me, and I always thought I'd have her... but I think it's just time, and I don't want to admit it.

But I think the SC is the perfect replacement. I'd looked at getting something like a Strom, as I would like to do longer trips, or even a KLR, as I've thought about doing some DS riding. But I guess I'm still young (I'm not 30... yet:(), and need to worry about stuff like that later.

Anyway, here's a pic of the SV, just for comparrison.

Oh, and the new "girlfriend" is a brunette... not a redhead. Although I am partial to redheads. ;D

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, so here's the sexual analogy because there's already been a bit of skirting around the topic....

the SV is like that one night stand you wake up next to...."gee, that was great last night but right now I really wanna crawl out of bed, go take a piss, and quietly sneak out the front door before she wakes up".

whereas the SC is like that one night stand you wake up next to....."gee, that was great last night, hmmmm, think I might climb back on and wake her up with some gentle rythmic action...."

and my apologies to any ugly SV loving women out there.
Bingo! :D

Here's what I wrote in the SV forum:

There's that bike. The one I dream of. The one that nobody seems to care about. They all stare at the fully-faired bikes like a supermodel that just walked into a party. But I don't look at the supermodels... I look at the quiet girl in the corner with the black hair, the tatoos, the pierced nose and the deep black mascara. She's a bad girl and she'll let you ride her hard and keep asking for more. She'll slide out from under you, keeping you on your toes and making you concentrate not on proper form, but what you need to do to get the job done.

Everything is against you. You already have a "girlfriend". Why dump her for something you feel is better? Yeah, you never do anything new. You still get your rocks off when you're together, but you know all the steps. She'll throw you a curve every once in a while, but only to keep you guessing. You know how to deal with her. But does that mean you just throw her to the curb? Or do you do what's not right, and invite the other girl into the bedroom? Yeah, the old girlfriend might get jealous, but she'll still get appreciated when you want to remember old times. The girl with the tatoos, nose ring, and mascara is just so you can be the angry person in the sack that you wanna be. The girl who can take a slap or two, and leave bite marks on your thigh.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
I too was wondering if we were talking about an SV1000 or SV650. (I was pretty clear on the Yamaha or Suzuki thing...)

Tilt, welcome. As far as SVs go, I have to say your was a pretty nice one! No doubt you will have a blast making the Sport 1000 truly your own as well. Looking forward to your mods. Get ready to start spending a *lot* of money.

I think you are going to love it. It is quite a bit more bike than the SV, with a very different engine character - really, the DS1000 might be one of the best motors in existence for street riding. I hope your commute doesn't involve a lot of slow in-town stuff because this is definitely not the bike for that.

(Major, your French sucks.)

·
Registered
164 Posts
That is a good looking SV. I really like the look and the color scheme you have going there. How many miles has she got on her? About the SC1000, that will be the "funnest" bike you will ever have! I have had my duc going on 3 years, and I still absolutely love riding it.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I too was wondering if we were talking about an SV1000 or SV650. (I was pretty clear on the Yamaha or Suzuki thing...)

Tilt, welcome. As far as SVs go, I have to say your was a pretty nice one! No doubt you will have a blast making the Sport 1000 truly your own as well. Looking forward to your mods. Get ready to start spending a *lot* of money.

I think you are going to love it. It is quite a bit more bike than the SV, with a very different engine character - really, the DS1000 might be one of the best motors in existence for street riding. I hope your commute doesn't involve a lot of slow in-town stuff because this is definitely not the bike for that.

(Major, your French sucks.)
The "money" issue is about the only thing that has kind of turned me away from Ducs in the past. I know you get what you pay for, but browsing through some of the accessories is a little depressing. I had a bad case of "mod-itis" with the SV, but alot of it I did myself. Not sure how comfortable I would ever be cutting up the SC with a Dremel. :p

For reference, the SV as it looked after a couple days from the dealership:

Right after I finished my new tail. Only thing that changed after this was the red wheels... but I don't have a good pic of that.

As of now, I have no plans to mod it. I just want to get used to it first. I have to admit that going from a 650 to a 1000 is giving me some worry. I'm not a speed freak, but I'm not sure how forgiving the power is on 1000 when it comes to cornering.

I used to commute on the interstate back and forth to work, but I've switched to backroads. Less traffic, less frustration, and more curves. :D Also a little worried about the air-cooled engine, as traffic in our area can be pretty bad at times... stop-and-go for 4 or 5 miles.

That is a good looking SV. I really like the look and the color scheme you have going there. How many miles has she got on her? About the SC1000, that will be the "funnest" bike you will ever have! I have had my duc going on 3 years, and I still absolutely love riding it.
Mileage is just short of 65k, which I think is part of my problem right now. I think I'm going to have a really hard time letting go of it. :( I'm both looking forward to, and dreading Friday afternoon. I will be taking plenty of pics of it before I give it up though, for sentimental reasons.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I've owned several Yamahas, Kawasakis and Hondas... But I tell you what, when I rode my SC for the first time, I was giggling like a little girl in my helmet. Nothing compares to the feel of that bike. It took me over 3 hours to get home from the delaership... I just did not want to stop riding.
And it does not matter where you go, the compliments are always there. That bike attracts people like flies. It is one bad ass looking muscle bike...:D

Enjoy your new ride! Be safe!

·
Registered
714 Posts
tilt I feel your pain of seperation,I to just got off my same bike of 34 years.I am so use to that 1975 honda 750s/s that I feel like Im cheating on her when I ride the duc,but Im actually over it now since the duc is a fab ride,plus I got married on the honda and crashed a few times so I understand your hesitation,just bite the bullet ,we all cant be wrong.the top side is I talked the wife into putting the honda in the living room,as a peice of art of coarse.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Mileage is just short of 65k, which I think is part of my problem right now. I think I'm going to have a really hard time letting go of it. :( I'm both looking forward to, and dreading Friday afternoon. I will be taking plenty of pics of it before I give it up though, for sentimental reasons.
You have had a lot of time on the SV not to mention the blood, sweat, and tears that I'm sure you put into it. It will never mean the same to the next person. Any chance you can swing holding onto it and still get the SC??

1 - 20 of 48 Posts