Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I'm posting this on my own accord and have no affiliation with Speedymoto other than I like their products and stop in their shop from time to time.

I just got their new rear axle tool for the classic superbike and I think it's pretty cool. It's machined from steel and hard coated, so it's suitable for use with an impact wrench and it's 1/2" drive, which I'm very happy about. Because one side is 41mm and the other is 46mm, I've been able to get rid of my oversize socket collection (12pt chrome 41 & 46mm, 6 pt impact 41 & 46mm and 1-5/8, all 3/4" drive).

Here's the link to their website: http://secure.speedymoto.com/Mercha...ode=SP&Product_Code=04-0202&Category_Code=SMT

This tool isn't perfect though, and I've talked to them about it and things may change. Firstly, the 41mm side of the tool doesn't work with some aftermarket aluminum 41mm nuts. This is because the aftermarket aluminum ones are actually machined to be a bit larger than 41mm. I don't know if this is true for all of them, or if it's true for the 6pt/12pt titanium nuts available. Also, the price is kind of steep IMO, and told them. We'll see what happens.

I think this tool is cool for a number of reasons. Mainly though, it's so convenient and has a lot of features.
It's very compact
It's 1/2" drive compared to the 3/4" drive of others, so no adapter
It's suitable and strong enough for impact wrenches as well as ratchets
The round part where the ratchet/wrench goes is fits perfectly in the axle,
so the fit is very positive and firm, with very little slop
The outer rim/edge is knurled so it's easy to turn by hand (even a greasy
hand, or gloved hand)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Yeah for $100 they should at least give you the breaking bar shown in the picture. Ridiculous price. I got a while big socket set at Harbor Freight for $35 or so. Also on eBAy you see people selling separate sockets for Ducati's for less than this.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree on the price, and I let them know. A cool thing about this is it's steel and hardened, so it's impact grade and won't split. I can honestly say that it fits better than my regular impact and standard 12pt sockets, and stays on better.

The first thing I told them,though, that I thought the price was way too steep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just browsing the forum for the first time in a few weeks and I saw this and thought I'd update the thread.

FYI if you click on the SM link above you'll find the price is now $75 rather than $100. It seems they heeded some customer advice. Enough to entice further sales of the item? Who knows? Not enough for me.

FWIW I'm still happy with my ~$35 Harbor Freight 3/4" metric set. I pulled four items out of the box; the breaker bar, front axle socket and both rear sockets. The rest of the set just sits in the box on the shelf. For $35 the waste doesn't really hurt my feelings, lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just received one for the updated 75$ price, and it works fantastically. I bought it for my travel toolbox. Fit on both sides (41 and 46mm) is better than my 60$ EACH Snap-On sockets, and it's about 1/4 the size. The pilot on the center makes it even more sturdy. 60$ x 2 =120$ and 2 BIG Snap On impact drivers. Makes me laugh comparing this thing to harbor-freight-made-in-Chiwan tools y'all are taking about. Next thing I'll be seeing is Cheng Shin tires compared to Pirelli Super Corsas.....sure they both get ya down the road. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts