Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! Proud owner of a 2017 939 SP. Bike is so fun! Getting ready to install the full Termi highmount system & an NRC tail tidy. One question, what idle voltage do you guys get? I charged my battery overnight as bike sa at dealer 5 months & it shows about 12.4 at key on & about 12.2 at idle. Let the bike sit 3 days & it barely turned over...do these bikes have a draw while off that would do that or did I just get a weak battery? Only 30 miles around town so far so maybe some longer & faster rides will help too. Glad it came with a charge port installed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Idle is not a very good reference. You should see it go up to 14+ as the rpm goes up. Keep key/fob away from bike when not riding. If you were able to get it running and it charged up, that's another indication the charging system is working. During the day, it is not so hard to leave a bike in parking light position without noticing it. Don't know if that is an option for you or not.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Update...went for first real ride up in the canyons of Malibu today. Love the bike! Shut if off while waiting for my buddy & it would not start. Battery at 11.8 volts. Took 3 hours to get towed 15 minutes to Westlake Ducati where they installed a new battery but did not check the charging system...on the way home checked the volts at a stoplight & back down to 12.1! I was 20
Miles from home in heavy traffic splitting lanes & hoping bike would not die...15 miles from home low fuel light came on & I could not stop as it would not re start if I did. So stressful but made it home. Going to charge up battery & ride to dealer in the morning. Old battery was fried according to Westlake Ducati...only 100 miles on it & it spent all yesterday on my battery maintainer. Hope it’s something simple.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Update...went for first real ride up in the canyons of Malibu today. Love the bike! Shut if off while waiting for my buddy & it would not start. Battery at 11.8 volts. Took 3 hours to get towed 15 minutes to Westlake Ducati where they installed a new battery but did not check the charging system...on the way home checked the volts at a stoplight & back down to 12.1! I was 20
Miles from home in heavy traffic splitting lanes & hoping bike would not die...15 miles from home low fuel light came on & I could not stop as it would not re start if I did. So stressful but made it home. Going to charge up battery & ride to dealer in the morning. Old battery was fried according to Westlake Ducati...only 100 miles on it & it spent all yesterday on my battery maintainer. Hope it’s something simple.
I hate to hear you got stranded, I've been in that situation a few times, and know it fuckin sucks. I hope they solve this problem for you quickly. So many folks do not maintain their batteries properly that I feel the dealerships have come to the point they just throw in a new battery and call it a day, which is BS in my book.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not sure what "battery fried " means. Was it so discharged that it sulfated? If this battery dies there is an electrical problem and you have a warranty.

One quick check would be to look at the headlight while revving it - does it get brighter and as you rev? Your charging system is faulty.

Do you have the optional alarm system installed - In my experience these can cause parasitic loss if not done properly.

Check your fuses - rear box and one under the left fairing.
Get a lithium jumpstarter- good to have in the long run and about the size of 2 cigarette packs.

If the battery problem recurs - bring it in and have the problem fixed - not the symptom (battery replacement). You have a warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tech said battery failed load test so that is why he said it was fried. I should have pushed him to check the charging system before I left as I noticed the battery display on the dash hardly moved when I revved the bike. He said “Don’t Over think this...just a bad battery.” Not! All fuses are good & overnight on the charger/maintainer has battery charged so I am going down the street for some gas & then getting to the dealer when they open. +1 on the Lithium jumper. 2 guys on Honda Africa twins stopped & said they usually carry them but since they were riding local they left them at home. 2 CHP officers rode by a waived without stopping...kind of ironic as Hypers were used in the new CHiPs movie? Guess they didn’t like it. Glad I made it home & on a positive note I was in Malibu & it was about 80 yesterday & I got about 50 miles of great carving in before it died.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
I should have pushed him to check the charging system before I left
Actually NO, checking that a bike in the shop with a bad battery is charging is mechanics 101. It is unacceptable that they sent you out the door without testing as it takes all of 5 minutes to do so. I would talk to the service manager and explain what is going on and they SHOULD be helpful as they made a mistake by not checking it. Do NOT be confrontational as you want a good relationship with them , If they blow you off or want to charge for this simple check that they should have done for free with the new battery. It is good information for you to know where NOT to go for service. not checking was a mistake on their parts give them the benefit of a doubt and see what they do.

It may be a bad rectifier or simply a charging system fuse but something is clearly wrong. Any warranty from where you bought it?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it’s at 123 miles so at Dealer I purchased from getting diagnosed. Going to call the other dealer now. Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ditch Westlake and head to Newport Ducati they are significantly better to deal with.

Hope you get it sorted. Drop the bike off and don't pick it up until they figure out how to make it maintainsa reasonable 13.7-14V while running.

If you ever want to rip some canyons I'm in LBC and hit PV, Glendora, Angeles, or Ortega almost every weekend.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update from dealer...Rectifier/Regulator shot....waiting on word from Ducati to cover it & send a new one....Dealer does not stock? Seems to me if the did not they could pull one from another bike on the showroom? I may look into an aftermarket one as an upgrade now.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
These new Hypers are a gdamn plague. The newer, the worse they get ironically. I would have them buy back or at least give you a loaner. Both the Dealer and Ducati are at fault, not you.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
These new Hypers are a gdamn plague. The newer, the worse they get ironically. I would have them buy back or at least give you a loaner. Both the Dealer and Ducati are at fault, not you.
You sound like my wife! She said make them take it back...I told her sorry it’s not a purse? A part made by another company for Ducati was faulty, no big deal. Will be replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update to the update...Ducati is replacing the regulator & the stator under warranty so looks like I get a free oil change too. Parts were expedited yesterday so I imagine they will be here by Thurs. or Friday. In the meantime my racing seat & NRC tail tidy showed up so I am looking forward to getting it back. Also picked up a set of the billet aluminum racing pegs on sale for $100 at the dealer. Will post up a pic once I get everything installed.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the bike back Monday with new Stator & Regulator. Now showing over 13 volts at idle & 14 volts at 3,000 RPM. Work looks good but they slightly overfilled the oil so after some guidance by Duc Vet I pulled the drain plug while cold & let some out without making a mess.

Got around to installing the Race seat, DP billet pegs, & the NRC Tail Tidy. Going to put a few miles on it & make sure it’s still charging & not leaking then I will install the full Termi highmount system then ride to the dealer & have the Race Map uploaded via the USB & Ducati system. The seat is awesome as you have more options to move around & are not so locked in...great to slide back for wheelies. Pegs are much gripper than stock & I like that there is a bigger end to give me something to push on & they offer more feel & are easier to weight. Now I just need to ditch that big muffler so my right heel has more room.

A few pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
Cali roads are pretty clean but it only takes one rock to wreck the radiator, which happened to a friend. I noticed some light damage on mine after a month and installed Evotech radiator and oil cooler guards. Also, if/when the handguards break check out Cycra Ultra Probends. Besides those two weak design points, the 939SP has been a dream machine. Make sure to adjust the sag and compression. They are way too stiff from the factory for most riders. I was fighting the bike on turn ins until I matched the suspension to my weight.

·
Hammer Down
2019 1250 GS
1,747 Posts
I bought some guards for my Multi from Evotech, great people and great product.

·
Registered
28 Posts
good luck with your SP, I have one and it has been nothing but trouble....see this thread.

I am trying to get ducati to buy it back under the lemon law, mine is a big POS, worst bike I have ever purchased.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts