Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

What kind of sneakers do you strap on your bike(s)?

• Avon

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Bridgestone

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Continental

Votes: 6 2.8%
  • Dunlop

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • Maxxis

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Metzeler

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Michelin

Votes: 115 53.2%
  • Pirelli

Votes: 44 20.4%
  • Other (post up!)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who likes what as far as rubber? I'm trying to make up my mind on a new pair of sneakers. I'm peeling off a pair of Pilot Roads - because I'm no longer commuting 100+ miles to work everyday - and I'm thinking somewhere in between stupid sticky (just for grins!) and reasonably sticky. ;)

Post up brand and flavor, and size if you're the rebellious type. I'll try & make a poll of brands ...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Pilot powers on one and i'll be replacing the pilot sports on the other with powers in a few weeks!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Sportec M-1's.....good traction in all kinds of conditions...warm up decently....and I couldn't beat the deal I got at the time...2 fronts and 3 rears for $485usd shipped!

·
Registered
424 Posts
fasterdammit said:
Post up brand and flavor...
Pilot Power, the only way to fly!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I guess we know what the side of the bread ours is buttered on. Michelin @ 60% in less than 24 hours.

So let me throw this into the mix: What's your riding style? Commuting? Superslab? #1 Stunta? :p Or just being a hooligan?

I try to avoid the superslab at all costs. Even when I was commuting 100mi to work, I took the backroads because - even though it took longer - it was just way more fun. So I put myself solidly in the hooligan category, because even I'm commuting to work, I'm still working out the whole contact patch. :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I guess you can say I'm a hooligan...I lift the front...and slide the rear....kinda motard my Monster a lil bit...I carve as much as possible...and commute because I have to...but even when commuting...I do my damndest to keep the tire over to the side as much as possible...even if I end up weaving and rolling it over back and forth in the lane in the short straights.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
zooom said:
I do my damndest to keep the tire over to the side as much as possible...even if I end up weaving and rolling it over back and forth in the lane in the short straights.
My brother from another mother! :D Great minds think alike ... ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I like to travel on my monster so Avon is what I use. If sticky is what I want I would go for Pilot Powers, used them at a track day and boy did they stick.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have had Pilots on my last 3 bikes and love em! I had a set of Diablos and thought they were amazing on my R6 and replaced them with the Pilots and was very impressed with them, so I used them on the other bikes.

Jen

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ran Michelin x90s and x100s on the Monster in the past, and have now tried two flavors of Pilot as well. Seems like Pilot is the preferred choice. I am tempted to see Maxxis or one of these other brands has to offer, too ... we'll see ... gonna haveta be soon ... ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I just ordered up a new Pilot Power. Seems to be conventional wisdom. I was going to try something different, just to see but you know? Screw it. I will try something different - I haven't ridden a Power before. So I'll start there. :D

Order from RonAyers.com - best price on the web that I could find, and they're a respectable source. A 160/60 shipped came to $128. Add $25 to get it M&B'd and it's still $25 cheaper than if I bought it in the store. Sad, but true. :(

Thanks for your votes. I ran the same poll on another, general-marque forum I read often, and got similar results. Michelin Pilots had the majority; not quite 60% like here, but still the highest votes. I like reading the tire tests in the mags, but it's nice to see what real people are really doing, too. ;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Is it bad?

I'm so afraid to get a flat "highway" profile that I feel bad on the straits and gas as hard as I dare in the turns.

I just bought my SS and it has a Battlax 020 rear, I dont thrust it fully bacause its says sporttouring on their website and it steps out quite easy out of turns. Sliding is cool but I dont have Capirex' control.

The front is Pirelli Diablo and I dont feel comfortable about mixing different tyres either.

Any experience to share?

Maybe I should hang off to keep the bike upright.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Lars,I have heard from 1st hand users that the benefits of an 020 rear will be found moreso on heavier bikes with the use of an 014 front...but lighter bikes don't press on the compound enough to get it truly warm enough to keep from stepping out...comparo vehicles 1st hand were a '00 VFR (which that combo worked well on) vs. an '02 SV650.....you can make your own decisions from there....but as far as stepping out...did you experience that at all with previous tires?...maybe it is a simple case of setting your sag and dampening and rebound on your rear shock somewhat?

·
Registered
319 Posts
New bike

The bike is new to me this spring so I havent tried it with any other rear.

I'm not done with setting up the suspension and I'm no expert at it either, so far I have just softened the damping to cope with the bumpy roads around here. Maybe thats the cause?

I can get on the edge of the tire easily when I dont "hurry" but when I move around on the bike and give lots of throttle early it'll spin up. And sometimes I have to do that to make the other guys feel bad about their bikes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I've mostly used either Dunlops of Metzlers. The MEZ1's came on the bike new and they were Great for traction, but the rear was bald after 3000 miles (front lasted me 9000). Subsiquent MEZ's have lasted at about (or under) the 6000 mile range with decent grip. I ride mostly comuting and and sport touring style so grip is less important than longevity for me, but at the same time when I feel like carving a canyon, I don't want to worry about running out grip either.

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
run power race mediums on track bike, wow are they good. Just got a new S2R1000 that came with Bridgestones, so far I like em alot!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just ordered an Avon Viper Sport rear - so that Avon would send me a new front for free (deal only for August) - cheapest pair of tires I ever bought. Haven't installed them - probably won't have to until next year - so we'll see.

Loving the hell out of my Pilot Powers at the moment though!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm on my second set of Dunlop GP 208 RR's and I love 'em!! The first set lasted 8400km or even longer (down to carcass/fibres) and the second set will hopefully last me 3 months or so.

I love these tyres.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts