Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of research and backwards/forwards design and prototyping, I have negotiated manufacture of these high quality shock-absorbers as replacements to suit our SC1000S + SC1000biposto + GT1000 bikes.

The first (piggy-back) style has 4-way independent High and Low speed adjustable rebound and compression dampening.
The second (remote reservoir) style has separate compression and rebound adjustment.

Both styles feature an exclusive length adjustment mechanism (huge bonus in setting up ride height) and spring pre-load adjustment.
This will allow for ride height adjustment of approximately +5mm, -20mm from standard height as delivered.

Both styles are Nitrogen filled and are manufacture to extremely high standard.

Both styles feature spherical ball end fixings.

Both styles feature progressive springs, and I would carry a few different spring rates to effectively customise to suit a buyers weight and riding style.

Both styles feature incredible build, finish, and component quality.

My thoughts are that we dont need the remote reservoir style and that would in fact get far more benefit from the (much) higher quality (and finer adjustment range) of the dual high/low speed piggy-back style, but I thought I would "put it out there" to gauge YOUR response.

There is obviously a large investment to manufacture sufficient quantities to achieve a suitable price break so, If I go ahead with manufacture, I would like to get some feedback of desire (dont need commitments at the moment) and what number of members would go for something like this.

I cant fix a price at the moment, but it would be in the range of $AU1200 - $AU1300 for a pair.

Feel free to comment on this thread or send me a p.m if this is of interest to you...:cool:

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Greg you are 'd man :) Look really great mate, where are you getting them made? I agree the Piggy back style would be the one I would go for and would certainately consider these once I have sorted my front end out first....gotta get me some decent front end springs. Well done again.

Cheers

Gary

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I think, from the outside, these items would integrate nicely into the appearance of our bikes. The price puts them in competition with YSS but less than Ohlins, Wilbers, etc. Your other offerings are so well-sorted that I'm sure you'd have the dampening rates dialed in. Honestly, having 4 clicks of adjustment doesn't seem like an overly broad range (YSS offers 20 compression and 60 rebound) but if the specific values are correct it could be a more user friendly shock.

I would definitely consider them, and should be considered a prospect! It will be very interesting to see if this goes forward. Once again, WASP is leading the way...:cool:

+1 on the piggyback style.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think, from the outside, these items would integrate nicely into the appearance of our bikes. The price puts them squarely in competition with premium manufacturers, Ohlins, Wilbers, etc. Your other offerings are so well-sorted that I'm sure you'd have the dampening rates dialed in. Honestly, having 4 clicks of adjustment doesn't seem like an overly broad range (Y.S.S. offers 20 compression and 60 rebound) but if the specific values are correct it could be a more user friendly shock.

I would definitely consider them, and should be considered a prospect! It will be very interesting to see if this goes forward. Once again, WASP is leading the way...:cool:

+1 on the piggyback style.
Sorry guys, I should have been more specific with the specs...
Adjustment range is 30 clicks in the low speed range and 47 clicks in the high speed range.
High and Low speed adjustments are independent and without interference. This is what I meant by 4-way.

The approximated pricing is in Australian dollars and is WELL short of the Ohlins and Wilbers price, but not short on quality.

Greg.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm interested. The ride height adjustment is a big bonus for me. I'd considered lowering my GT with shorter YSS shocks, but didn't want to change the bikes geometry or create clearance issues. But, if with these I could lower the ride height for more sure footed commuting, then bump it back up to stock for aggressive riding, well, that would be frickin great. However, price is going to be a big selling point for me. If you can get the cost down to under $1000 US shipped, I'd be much more likely to purchase.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
And yet another beautiful piece of kit from the house of WASP!!

However, please stop with the R&D Greg and just concentrate on sending me my hangers mate - PI is getting closer :D :p

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Oops!

Sorry guys, I should have been more specific with the specs...
Adjustment range is 30 clicks in the low speed range and 47 clicks in the high speed range.
High and Low speed adjustments are independent and without interference. This is what I meant by 4-way.

The approximated pricing is in Australian dollars and is WELL short of the Ohlins and Wilbers price, but not short on quality.

Greg.
I caught my own error on the pricing and comparison, went to edit, but you beat me to the punch! Thanks for the clarifications, it looks even tastier.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Love the idea of another shock option. Agree the piggyback is the way to go. I would like to see a more standard spanner used for pre-load adjustment, but the pieces really do look great as is.

·
Registered
413 Posts
The amazing WASP.
Desire - yes. $$ - I'll have to work on it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
God damit Greg....:mad: I'm still saving up for the steering damper kit:)
P.S the piggy back is the way i would go.
Cheers
Nev

·
Registered
45 Posts
Am I correct and is this only for the dual shock models like the GT1000 and SC1000S? No 2006 single shock model? :(

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Am I correct and is this only for the dual shock models like the GT1000 and SC1000S? No 2006 single shock model? :(
SC1000S, SC1000 biposto, GT.... Sorry, not looking at the mono at this stage.

Greg.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
They look great. The piggy back ones seem to have a preload collar that you can turn with a round tool inserted into the holes, like Penske uses. If so, that is a great system.

The price is extremely reasonable.

Whether or not they are any good for the application will depend of course on the shim stacks and other internal details that affect performance. Any chance of getting some dyno graphs for them? 100% out of pure interest for me, since I ride a mono.

Why progressive springs? OEM are straight rate aren't they?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They look great. The piggy back ones seem to have a preload collar that you can turn with a round tool inserted into the holes, like Penske uses. If so, that is a great system.

Any chance of getting some dyno graphs for them? 100% out of pure interest for me, since I ride a mono.

Why progressive springs? OEM are straight rate aren't they?
The collars can be adjusted with the stainless steel tool supplied.

These are some clips of early development dyno tests. All details have been removed but I may come up with final graphs if I go ahead with production and if I beleive it is necessary to do so.
The purpose of including these graphs is to show that the development of this product is indeed going down the correct path.

Hi/Low speed adjustment Piggyback

Remote Rez adjustment

Standard SC1000S and bipostos have progressive wind springs but the descision has still not been made on which way I will go for production.
Dyno testing of both has shown some interesting results.

Greg.

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
Wasp, you gotta cut this shit out - I have a family to support! Seriously, I'd be seriously interested. Would like some ride reports if you do go ahead with it. I prefer the piggyback myself.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Common Remote reservoir?

This might be a dumb question, but is it possible to have one remote reservoir serving the two shocks? I think this would make a really neat solution, both in appearance, and in ease of adjustment. If this was possible, this would be my preference, otherwise the piggyback style.

Also how easy is it to change the preload? I regularly ride two up, and therefore regularly change the preload for either solo or two-up riding. With the stock shocks it is easy to just adjust the preload by a couple of clicks using a c-spanner.

Definitely interested.

Rob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts