Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all; I purchased a Sport Classic 1000s about a month ago. For a variety of reasons, I just got the first opportunity to ride it today. It has been sitting in the garage hooked up to a Deltran Battery Tender Plus. I put all my gear on, got on the bike and when I went to start it....nothing. The instrument panel works fine, there are no unusual warning lights, and the immobilizer does not appear to be active. I tried to start it in gear and in neutral with the stand up and down, but no luck. As best as I can tell, this bike has no choke or manual fuel valve. I am going to call the dealer in the morning, but in the mean time I'd love to know if I am being clueless (this is my first street bike and my first motorcycle since I was a kid) or is something not right here?

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
My guess would be battery but if you can get the dealer to check it out why not if it's under warranty. Use rider assist if you have to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did check the kill switch.

My original thought was the battery as the deltran was green when i disconnected it. After trying to start it a couple times, I plugged it back in and it went solid red. However, I dismissed it as the instrument panel, and lights lights work and there are noises (hydrolics?) when I hit the starter. Perhaps I was wrong?

·
Registered
900 Posts

My original thought was the battery as the deltran was green when i disconnected it. After trying to start it a couple times, I plugged it back in and it went solid red. However, I dismissed it as the instrument panel, and lights lights work and there are noises (hydrolics?) when I hit the starter. Perhaps I was wrong?
Solid red is good. Should go green shortly (1 hour max) after. Does it start now? When you hit the starter button, what happens? Lights go dim/out? Does the charger EVER go green?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just tried it again with the Deltran solid green. After hitting the starter once, it went to solid red. Guess it is the battery after all.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I just tried it again with the Deltran solid green. After hitting the starter once, it went to solid red. Guess it is the battery after all.
Sounds like it. Don't let it get you down, these are great bikes. After you get your new battery, be sure to leave the Deltran pigtail on it and leave it on.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Just a quick thing, check under the seat an make sure all the connectors are plugged into each other towards the back right hand side. I had this on mine and when I checked the fuel pump connector had worked itself lose (Italian engineering) and so wasn't getting fuel. Its pob the battery but worth a 5 min check just in case!

·
Registered
92 Posts

Just a quick thing, check under the seat an make sure all the connectors are plugged into each other towards the back right hand side. I had this on mine and when I checked the fuel pump connector had worked itself lose (Italian engineering) and so wasn't getting fuel. Its pob the battery but worth a 5 min check just in case!
If he's hearing noises when he turns the key on, isnt that the fuel pump priming? From what I'm understanding through his description - the starter isnt even engaging? He's getting nothing when he pushes the starter button? Everything lights up - but nothing else. First thing I thought, 'he has the kill switch in the off position' like a couple others suggested here. If not, he has some bad wiring; kill switch - neutral safety - starter button. You would think if the battery is bad, yet has enough juice to power the lights up - that it could at least give a 'click-click' to the starter ...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input. The dealer also thinks it is the battery. When it charges overnight, it does try to turn over a little harder and then goes dead. They are shipping me a new battery (as the dealer is 30 miles away) so hopefully that will solve the problem.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For anyone who is interested, the dealer sent me a new battery. I installed it today, and all is fine. Went for my first ride :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You've got to remember that a battery can die any moment in its life.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts