Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

New rotors

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  clydesride 
#1 ·
Hey, got my new rotors done today... ran into a few snags.

I found it very hard to remove the caliper on the right side, the banjo bolt is longer to hold the 2 banjo's and there is danger of scratching the wheel if you are not careful.

I also found I had a bent axle!! I know it came from my incident, just had no idea it was a problem... now I get to wait for a new one...yaay

Something I also found was loose-ish bolts on the axle, caliper and pinch bolts as well as the handlebar mounting bolts! Best check your bolts for proper torque if they have not been done!!

The rotor bolts were tighter than heck and are a torx 40 in case you needed to know.

That frickin axle is a pig to get out when it is not straight! It was a real pain to slowly turn and gently tap and eventually I used a socket that was a close match to the O.D. of the axle and whapped it... hopefully the wheel is not pooched also but I spun it with a temp axle in there and all seems well now.

Waiting for new pads now too, got some Ferodo Platinum for it but the wrong ones so, they will wait as well... I am really trying to ride it again, getting held up a tad but with any luck the weather will hold on and a few rides out will be in the future.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I found it very hard to remove the caliper on the right side, the banjo bolt is longer to hold the 2 banjo's and there is danger of scratching the wheel if you are not careful.
Nice looking rotors!

As for taking off the calipers - I learned a simple trick because I often swapped wheels on my 1098 - I start with the left side, then wiggle the right side gently back&forth to move the pads back as far as possible (taking the left of first gives maximum movement options for the right side - both caliper and fluid reservoir that is). It's a lot easier to remove and put back on that way.

#4 ·
Good advice rb... I will do try that when I change out the pads. Thanks Dave, I just muscled em out and now realize heat would certainly have helped... also re-install was a bit dicy as I was concerned about cross threading since the old lock-tite was making it slightly harder to start the bolts.
Any chance you stock a front axle for my beast... seems I tweaked it in my incident. I did send Jon an e-mail about it but, if you are reading on here??

#6 ·
I have inspected them and they seem ok, didn't really go at it with the hammer.... just some semi-experienced (I have wrecked a few surfaces in my time) and hopefully well placed blows?
I did not have the benefit of the experience in knowing the internal layout of the axle and bearing and spacers so, it was a little scary at first.
I do have a question though... the bearing on the left side appears to have been recessed a bit (3/16") to accommodate the left side spacer or is it supposed to sit flush to the hub with the spacer right flush inside the fork leg where the pinch bolts are?
If I don't feel completely comfortable with this one, it will have to go to the shop for a check-up.... it is the front wheel right?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.