Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have a set of EBC front brake rotors that have not been right from the get go. They are a year and a half old and already feel warped even though I do very little braking. So, the question is should I get one new EBC rotor to fix the problem or go with a set of used Brembo rotors from Gotham Cycles?

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Perhaps a little more information. Floaters, partial floaters? How many miles and what type of riding? What pads and wear level? Do the rotors run true if you spin the wheel on a stationary stand or are they pushing the pads around? Are there any heat checked areas? What kind of measurement tools do you have? Are you willing to remove them and examine them on a surface plate? I know, too many questions. That's the way I am, irritates people.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yikes! Most of my riding is highway riding since I live in the middle of nowhere. Im at less than 2000 miles on these rotors that are supposed to be floaters. I dont see any heat issues and the pads were new when I installed the rotors (EBC V pads). I used a scrub pad and cleaner to make sure there was no contamination last week. I also checked my steering head bearings just in case. I removed the rotors a few weeks ago and switched them around to see if that did anything but no luck. I cant clean the buttons since they are the "square" type buttons. I didnt measure them since I can feel the shudder when I hit the brakes especially when coming off the highway. I may pick up the rotors anyway since they are the snowflake rotors and look really cool. EBC Pro-Lite Contour Front Brake Rotor - Motorcycle Superstore

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
Being that it is a 98 (?), how are the steering head bearings?
Exactly. There is a difference between warped rotors and pulsing / shuddering during braking. Loose / worn head or wheel bearings, stuck caliper pistons, certain pads, worn fork bushings, and even the spring plates on the calipers have caused uneven brake pad material transfer to the rotors.

Actual warped rotors, esp full floaters, are very rare.

The 4mm stockers were said to very prone to uneven pad material transfer.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive checked the steering bearings and replaced the wheel bearings 2 weeks ago and the shutter is noticeable at high and low speeds at regular intervals ie the diameter of the rotor just like a car. It is not intermittent so when I hit the brakes exiting a highway I feel the shutter and at first I thought maybe there was a rock in one of the holes. I'll be moving much closer to a shop by end of month so I might have the steering bearings replaced if I have the cash.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
It wouldn't cost you anything to try and tighten them just a little.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, after the chattering today on a ride down a mountain pass, I think Im going to go with the used rotors from Gotham Cycles (2) instead of one new EBC. If they arent in good condition I can always send them back.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had hoped that I had seated the pads in incorrectly but after scotch pad / sand paper and cleaning, they still chatter. I may investigate further but it got a little scary trying to brake for a hairpin.

·
Mr Leakered
8,863 Posts
If the scrubbing didn't work for at least a few stops, then you probably have warped rotors.

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah thats what Im thinking. Great ride though up Independence Pass. 90 deg at the bottom, snow up on top still.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I went the used brembo route from a reputable eBay dealer which had a good guarantee when I had to replace Chinese wave knockoffs which originally came with the bike. Chatter has been gone since

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
355 Posts
If the rotors are warped it should be more of a pulse which will be most notable at low speeds.
Note, when fitting rotors be sure to tighten in a star pattern otherwise they can warp.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Well, since you didn't answer all my questions, i can't tell you how to check the rotors for warpage. You are probably plug-n-play-n for diagnosis. A lot of people are more happy to throw parts at a problem until it goes away.

Here's a couple tips though. Pads and rotors may not get along together even if they are from the same brand.
Making an aggressive high speed stop and then sitting with the brake on, like at a light, will warp any rotor.

A headset bearing problem will not cause the symptom you described, especially as you slow near a stop and feel the pulse in sync with the wheel at a low frequency. Only a varying friction can do that. Anything improper about mounting the rotors can be a problem such as tightening the buttons in a biased sequence. You should be able to move a full floater around like it is loose, opposite the caliper. A semi floater will feel tight. They float only enough to allow expansion with heat due to the diameter of a performance sized rotor. The mounting of them is important. An experienced mechanic will always slowly tighten any radial pattern in a star sequence. Sometimes an amateur will tighten each bolt in a next to it sequence. When that happens you end up with something that no longer has the ability to center. When things don't center, they bind and stay distorted. Not being critical, you may very well have properly tightened the rotors, just can't tell from your post.

Good luck speedy, I hope you get a good solution soon.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First, I did answer most of your questions jahjah and I know not to keep brakes on after a hard stop. Thats braking 101 for any motor vehicle. As I stated I also know how to bolt brake rotors on! Third, the rotors were purchased 2 years ago so EBC would most likely tell me to pound sand.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Do you have access to a dial indicator to confirm if the rotors are warped or it's something else?
Otherwise you could get a bit of stiff wire like a coat hanger and bolt it to the caliper so the end almost touches the rotor then rotate the wheel slowly and watch the gap.

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow Id have to be heavily intoxicated before I spent $800 for rotors on my $2800 bike. New Brembo rotors are half that and I got a set of used for $200. Gonna clean them up a bit and give em a go.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts