Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I got a brand new 796 as my first bike a few weeks ago. I have a few questions to ask... some may be stupid questions, others better. Oh well, here goes!

1) Is there a good reason why my engine won't start on the first, second, or sometimes third try? The engine stalls out after a split second or so. Note that this only happens when the bike hasn't been running for a few hours, so these are "cold starts" I guess. Also, I've only got 450km on the odometer.

2) I've only ever driven cars, and I don't know where my motard should be revving when cruising at specific speeds. So, I guess the question should be, what RPM/gear is best for cruising at speeds of 100kmh/60mph, 60kmh/40mph... etc.?

3) Should I be turning corners in 1st or 2nd gear? I've never downshifted to 1st in a car to turn, but sometimes it seems like going to 1st would be a good idea on the bike. (perhaps I'm taking some corners too slowly?)

4) Does anyone else find the signal-cancel button to be kinda wonky? Sometimes I go to cancel (or at least I think I do), and then I look down and my indicator is still flashing.

5) Does the gear change lever become less "crunchy"/notchy as I ride more?

Thanks a lot for any input, and I apologize for the goofiness.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm also new(got my brand new mortard 10 days ago) the shifter seems to be more buttery now ( I got 1400km on it now) and cruising depends on the bike it seems, on this bike the engine doesn't really seem to like being under 3000rpm it's a little chuggy but after it smooths out, also the starting issue I only had that if my gas was just about to hit the fuel light or if I over filled to the filler neck otherwise it starts no problem in the mornings when I head to work

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I was told by my local dealer to make sure I wait for he start-up message to finish scrolling on the LCD display before starting the bike. This will ensure the ECU has finished initializing, otherwise an old data sample of the engine temperature will be erroneously used. Not sure how true that claim is but it is plausible.

Regarding gear shifting crunchiness, after I greased the ball linkage on my gear shifter (which was bone-dry), my gear shifting became more buttery.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know what you mean about it not starting cold sometimes, happened to me for like 15 minutes one time and i was losing my mind.
-i was pressing and releasing the starter button very quick, try holding it longer if you're doing the same thing, the starter won't grind like a car. Faux Tard also sounds like he knows what he's talking about, I try to do the same, you can definitely hear electronics boot up for a moment when you first twist the key.

For turning the bike, it all comes with experience. If you are coming to 4-way intersections or intersections where you need to make a 90'degree turn then you may feel more comfortable shifting into first right before you make the turn. As you get more comfortable you'll be able to do everything fast and smoother, just take your time. To go left Look left, push left, lean left (and vice verse) when you are riding through curves.

Just cruising... When I get to like 30 mph i shift to 3rd. when I get to about 50 mph Ill shift to 4th but I don't really go much below 50mph in 4th gear. 60ish i'll put it in 5th and 65-70+ i'll put it in 6th.

The signal cancel button still tricks me sometimes too.

I haven't felt the need to grease my shifter like the others but it might be worth it. Finding neutral is another one of those things that will come with experience.

Don't sweat all this stuff too much, I was figuring out all the same stuff in August when I got my 796.

Ride safe.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,371 Posts
Mine is 5 days old and only has 105miles. Starts every time. Like stated above I like to go into 2nd after 20mph and into third after 30mph and so on. Down shifting depends on your keen sense of speed. With these bikes, you will bogg if your speed does not match your revs. So say your in 3rd going into a corner that is taken at 20 mph, you will most likely bog like crazy. In that case just down shift a gear or two before the corner. Listen to the revs and if they sound like they match the speed you'll be taken the corner at, you will have a smooth exiting speed. Im still learning but its what i've noticed. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thanks a lot everyone.
I put another 200km on it today in the rain. I'm getting more comfortable, and I'm having a ton of fun.

I've always waited for the full message on the screen and the strange sounds to finish before starting. I've also tried holding the start button longer. Same thing happens.

I'm getting closer to the 1000km mark, and I'll be taking it in to the dealer. I'll be mentioning the start-up issue. As mentioned, it could be some sort of temperature sensor gone weird... because it starts every time if it's warm.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hope you enjoyed that rain. I left mine at home today, that rain got right nasty today.
Just keep rideing and you will figure it out as you go. It's a really fun bike to learn on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Okay thanks a lot everyone.
I put another 200km on it today in the rain. I'm getting more comfortable, and I'm having a ton of fun.

I've always waited for the full message on the screen and the strange sounds to finish before starting. I've also tried holding the start button longer. Same thing happens.

I'm getting closer to the 1000km mark, and I'll be taking it in to the dealer. I'll be mentioning the start-up issue. As mentioned, it could be some sort of temperature sensor gone weird... because it starts every time if it's warm.

Thanks again.
Do you park your bike in a garage? My bike is outside all the time and I used to have a hard time starting my bike if it was less than 50 degrees out in the morning. I did the motowheels reflash and o2 elimination and now it starts all the time. Even started right up on a couple of 18 degree days earlier this spring.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The noise on key turn your hearing is the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel injection system . Always wait until that noise quits before hitting start button. the hard starting is a result of a too lean system which is how there shipped from overseas. Get your ecu reflashed and have o2's turned off and your 796 will ride MUCH better and also have more pull. Contact Dave Lillard at redline performance in Yorktown Virginia . They did mine for $300 . The reflash basically richens out the fuel mixture throughout the rpm range and also coverts the ecu to a full open loop system . Good luck and ride safe my friend!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new as well...

My hyper (1100S) seems to be happy between 3,000-5,000 RPM for regular cruising around. On the highway, 50-75 MPH, I'm usually in 5th and it's up around 5,000 RPMs. When I get going faster, I go to sixth gear... It gets up pretty high on the RPMs at 90MPH... Gets loud, and I can't keep it there very long because of the wind :) Its also hard to check mirrors at that speed... I always get scared that I didn't notice a cop behind me and he's watching me take off :)

Cornering... What I try to do is downshift before I start the turn. I don't like shifting during the turn. I've had some jerky shifts at times and don't want to jerk the bike while I'm leaning. Sometimes at low speed I'll pull in the clutch and glide through the turn out of gear and release the lever as I'm completing the turn. I took a training course and they said using the back brake instead of the front was recommended for slow turns, such as at an intersection. I never use my back brake though... Probably should practice that sometime... Might be dangerous using the front brake in some slow turns...hit it too hard and maybe you'll lose it... Don't know.

When I first started riding, getting going in first was a pain. It felt like it just grabbed and took off or died without enough gas. Very little friction zone. Over time, and after picking a better lever position for my left hand, it is a lot better. The throttle on my 1100 is SUPER touchy. I sometimes wish it were less touchy so I wouldn't have to be so careful starting from a stop. It gets better though. Not like a car yet, but much better after a couple weeks of riding. I also hold the back brake with my foot while taking off on hills so I don't worry about rolling backwards while finding the right combination of clutch and throttle to start out.

First gear is close to useless for me. Always feels too fast for navigating parking lots and too slow for cruising down slow streets. Sometimes I just stay in second and sort of ride the friction zone on the clutch in parking lots. I still hate how touchy the throttle is in first. Don't even think about trying to adjust your hand position while riding in first... One little movement can send the bike jumping forward. Nearly fell off the back once!

Good luck!

Would love to hear tips on how to take turns fast... I'm jealous of riders I see taking turns really fast where I'm at in the Santa Cruz hills. They look so comfortable doing so. I'm gradually pushing myself faster but do not want to miss a turn and wipe out or hit an oncoming car on the other side. I'm learning to trust the tires, but it's still scary - especially when I see those oily strips where they filled cracks in the road. Hate those things. I think of them as ice.

Maybe we should make a "new rider" thread to share more tips...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for the replies.

HyperDuc796: Yes, the rain was crazy!

I do keep my bike in the garage, so there shouldn't be problems with starting the engine with regards to that.

Anyway, a strange thing happened. Yesterday, after washing my bike, it started on the first try. No problem! But then this morning, it took me 4-5 minutes to get the engine going.

325km to go before I take it in for service. Hopefully they'll be able to do something about it.

vb796: That sounds appealing to me, but I don't think I'll be in Virginia with my bike any time soon!

Another question:

I've been using 91 Octane gas since it's the easiest to get. However, it is possible for me to use 94. Should I do this, or will there be no notable difference?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts