Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone!

As the title suggests, I'm both new to motorcycles and the '99 ST4 I'm still in the process of acquiring. (Haha please don't lay into me about the bike size for a newbie, I'm well aware and am going to keep myself alive and uninjured). I've spent just a little bit of time on a 500cc dirtbike, and decided that a street legal, beautiful bike like the Ducati was more for me, so when I found this one, I decided to go for it. Then, unaware of how much I'd learn, I went ahead and took my MSF intro course. THAT was an eye-opening learning experience, I'm very glad I went through it.

I'm about to pay off the bike, name her, and proceed to go through the bike bolt by bolt, replace all the fluids, the trashed clutch, fork seals and a few other little things as I get up to speed running a dry clutch at non-race intensity. Are there any caveats, helpful suggestions, things I should know as I go about bringing her up to speed, either in terms of riding style or mechanically ('since you're doing the clutch, you should ______')? I'f you'd rather just throw links at me, I'm good with that, haha, this is a lot of stuff.

So far, to be honest, my use of the search feature here at Ducati.ms (and across the information-super-clusterf*ck) has been unproductive vis-a-vis my year and model of bike, so I'll ask here:
1) This being a 916cc bike, what parts from what other models of bikes (I assume mostly from that era) will interchange? 916's, ST4S's, etc.?
2) Is a mechanical device a mechanical device, or do I need to plan 300 mile road trips to my nearest Ducati dealership for anything out of the ordinary?
3) Where can I find tech specs, parts lists, repair manuals (knowledge, in general) for a bike this old?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to becoming a part of the Ducati community!!

Uriel

·
comrade moderator
27,256 Posts
Hi Uriel and welcome to the forum! The Sport Touring section will answer a lot of your questions. Contain your searches there or simply scan the stickies and thread titles.

Have fun with your ST!

·
Administrator
12,954 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms. We are super happy to have you here. :)

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section, that can help if there might be someone local to you give a hand or find new friends to take a ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts