Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up an M750 back in September but couldn't get everything together to get riding before the end of the Illinois riding season. I've been trying to cover my bases for spring prep with licensing and stuff I need and wondered if I could get everyone's opinion on the stuff I'll be wearing. I tried to research and ended up getting a lot of end-of-season deals, basically I think I'm covered but hoped I didn't jump the gun on stuff, I've had a lot of time to sit and think about riding so I end up buying s*** instead :rolleyes:

HLC RPHA 70 ST - one of the lightest practical helmets, lots of venting, drop-down sun visor, matte titanium
KLIM Drifter - understated waxed canvas jacket, very well built, 5pc D30 armor, steel blue (darker than not)
Bilt Sprint - pretty basic gloves but they came with the bike, might upgrade but they do fit well, black
Bull-It SR6 - fabric pants, 6+sec of abrasion resistance, +1 size up to fit comfortably (wear 36/30 straight Levis but needed 38/30 SR6 for same fit), black
Alpinestars Ridge WP - medium-height, waterproof, reviews seem to suggest good sport-touring and all-around protection; might be a bit bulky/stiff, dark gray

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
All good except: Bilt Gloves..........I have never had good luck with anything from Bilt. Riding now for 44 years. (They havent been around that long, I know) ........ Gloves are always the most overlooked items. In a crash it seems if you have any survival skills, your hands come into play almost always............just my 2 cents......... Get a rider course or 3 in, work slowly on your skills. Buy the Keith Code book and study. Dont ride in groups until you are comfortable and never get caught up in some others riding to the point you get in over your head.

Best wishes for happy trails.

·
Super Moderator
4,709 Posts
What Coyote said. Looks like you're off to a great start! I think just the fact you put thought into protection raises you up level.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
That will be a good start, Alpinestar and Klim hold up well. Those Bull-It SR6 pants are hot and heavy as hell, but they test well in the protection area. Probably need to wear suspenders with them, I do. They do allow some airflow, which surprised me considering how thick they are. The actual outside jean material is really thin, won't last long IMO, but the interior Covec stuff will outlast me and my bike. I have figured out how to detach the outer jean and one day will stuff the Covec liner inside some Levi's or Carharts.

·
Registered
555 Posts
As long as it fits well, (when you tumble the armour can move if it's too loose) you're half way there, Ear plugs are a good idea, custom moulded ones are way better than foamies, i find they rub on the liner of my helmet and irritate me, the custom ones fit flush and lower the noise level 25db or so, hearing damage creeps up on you and by the time you notice it and decide they're a good idea it's too late......

I don't see boots on your list, at a bare MINIMUM, wear something leather that covers your ankles, lace up work boots are good, not ideal, but better than trainers or worse.... flip flops/thongs/jandals....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hi, Can't vouch for any of those brands except Astars; always seem to fall apart.
Get yourself some earplugs, may seem trivial now, wear them now and it won't be a big deal later.

·
Bon Vivant
10,504 Posts
Hey there, anybody who drives a 427 4 spd Vette is bound to be a good rider. ;) welcome! For me fit and feel is what makes the difference, you have to be comfortable. Good fitting gloves are always the hardest for me to find. I dont think the brand is particularly important but I do stay away from the Asian import rebranded stuff like Built and Speed and Strength. Not that it wont serv you well for a few years, I just feel better with American and European built gear. And yep, I'm also an ear-plug advocate, I get along fine with the orange 3M foam plugs.

And do yourself a favor and find another rider who is willing to ride with you at YOUR pace for several outings and as wiley said stay AWAY from group rides! Start slow and stay in your comfort zone, dont let others coerce you into riding above your head. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
I’m just glad you covered all the bases with gear. So many new riders think all they need is a leather jacket and fingerless gloves. Obviously a good helmet is number one. Ive never heard of HLC, did you mean HJC ? I won’t even criticize the gloves. I also wear some gear that isn’t top of the line. As I buy replacements I upgrade where necessary. Sometimes it takes a while before you know what you want or need.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Solid set up. I'm partial to leather everything but have textile gear as well. Leather lasts forever. I have my first "real" leather MC jacket from 30 years ago : ).
+10 on the earplugs....wish I would have done it from the start. I was having serious problems hearing in louder environments. Started wearing plugs before it got too bad and now I am much better.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, earplugs seem like a must-have, got it. I wish I drove one of those, the plan is to build an early C3 some day!

I like but don't love the boots, they were a good price, is there a go-to for an over the ankle boot that allows some kind of normal movement? I want ankle protection and bracing so I don't expect a pair of sneakers, however the Ridges do feel soft of puffy/stiff. I do plan to get better gloves but that'll just be me being bored one day and going to the shop. I'll probably get another pair of pants and some kind of leather next year, no reason to worry now.

I did mean HJC, sorry! I tried on an Arai and Shoei and some cheaper helmets when I went shopping, this was lighter (3.4lbs) than anything but the $1k+ examples and the XL fits perfectly; I keep debating exchanging it for a Forvic finish, I love the pattern and its even a bit cheaper. The guy who helped me at Fox Valley Harley-Triumph-BMW (on the import side) was awesome and we talked for like an hour. He's also why I got the Klim, they started as a company who made snowmobile clothes in Idaho so their bike stuff is overbuilt. It comes with a backpad along with shoulder and elbow pads, magnetic zipper closure so no tank scratches, and overall is similar to a Carhartt.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,201 Posts
I just quickly scanned the posts here but I don’t think I saw any mention of the number 1 most important riding gear. Underwear.

If you do any long distance riding get couple of pairs of LDComfort riding shorts. Never leave home without them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Welcome to the riding community!
It's great that you've geared up from the start.
I agree with everyone on the hearing protection, I keep them on hand at all times.(they come in handy in high noise environments ...concerts, race tracks...)
Probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make is buying a helmet that is too big. It helps to go to a shop with a qualified helmet fitter. General rules of thumb are:
- the helmet will be tightest from the day purchased, will loosen as it breaks in
-should fit comfortably snug
- not pressing, pinching , biting oppressively anywhere
-snug enough that you almost can't chew gum with it on.
Some of the better companies offer different sized cheek pads to customize to your liking.
If you don't know what ATGATT means it stands for , All The Gear, All The Time.
Enjoy the adventure!

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
If your boots have laces, make damn sure you secure them so they cannot get caught in the brake or shift lever.
You don't want to end up on the ground at a stop light for something like that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the TCX recommendations, I'll check those out (same with the underwear :LOL:)! Your helmet descriptions sounds exactly like mine, there isn't any pressure and I wore it for a half-hour around the house, dorky but at least I won't have to try and return it in 3 months. No laces as of now, good thoughts though!

All great input!

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
We are down to underwear in 14 posts? Well, it is winter in Illinois, and Christmas is coming so you are going to get socks from KMart unless you speak up about what kind of fashionable underwear you prefer....

Your summer riding will be hot and muggy if it is not actually raining, mine are MF HOT and NO RAIN, so take my advice for what you will. Find a bicycle shop that stocks the good stuff, 11 panel or more chamois padded roadie bike shorts that ordinarily sells for $150 each or more if blessed by the Pope. Do not look at the affordable stuff! If that bike shop you went to won't put a price tag of over $200 on a spandex bike short you have gone to the wrong place.

Go there several times while there is 10 inches of snow of the ground and let the salesguy talk to you about $8,000 carbon fiber bicycles with automatic transmissions and Bluetooth disc brakes that have an app for your IPhone. One Saturday when you go there they will have marked those riding shorts down to under $50 and you buy them. Yes, they may be horribly lurid colors, but don't concern yourself with that as the nurses in the ER have seen everything despite your mothers advice on underwear. Never again in your life will you spend that much on panties unless you are dating a supermodel, but you will never regret it.

*Edit - hand wash only

·
Bon Vivant
10,504 Posts
As for boots, everybody has their preference and its really a matter of experience over time. I've always worn road race boots for the protection and the support. They aren't fun to walk in but they are plenty comfy on the bike. It's Sidi boots for me or nothing! Yep they are pricey but you dont need the top line racing boot, models like the roarr or cobra are just fine.

I just cant wear those puffy galoshes some touring guys wear.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts