Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check out the picture attached of the new 2013 Honda CB1100 and the new 2013 BMW that are both being put into production this year. This is from the latest issue of Motorcyclist. Interestingly enough, the BMW article states, "Expect an endless array of bolt-on options when the bike is launched later this year..."

Where's the new SportClassic? Ducati needs to wake the f*%# up and realize the hole they left in their biggest (read: America) market. Other manufacturers are developing lower price point models with retro style because not everyone can afford Panigales. Note to Audi: Bring back the SportClassic!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
if we are dreaming...

The best for me would be a Retro Supersport with the 1100 EVO engine... and 916 style fairing...

or a 250 single!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Ducati are simply not a sophisticated or big enough company to have such a wide model range, and that's why they cut down the model variations so harshly a coupla years ago.

Maybe Audi money will change that, but not quickly.

If I owed Ducati I'd simply re-tool for the SC range and start knocking them out ASAP, as they are still the best specced retro bike money can/could buy, ...but it won't happen.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ducati are simply not a sophisticated or big enough company to have such a wide model range, and that's why they cut down the model variations so harshly a coupla years ago.

Maybe Audi money will change that, but not quickly.

If I owed Ducati I'd simply re-tool for the SC range and start knocking them out ASAP, as they are still the best specced retro bike money can/could buy, ...but it won't happen.

They could easily spec a new SC. Hell, just use the Hyper's 1100evo, put the frames/swingarms back into production, and get a new [non-expanding] tank supplier, raid the Parts Bin for the rest.

They don't have to make a lot of them, like the first time, but make it available on a BTO basis. They already need to have spare parts from our model line available, so a couple of tweaks to the frame and swingarm mounts will bring the SC1100evo to life in no time!

I just don't want them to stop making air-cooled motors. A lot of the Hyper guys are saying the new HM will be a H2O motor from the 848.

Stepping down from the stump now :)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But if I was to consider a Honda (second bike of course) it would be this one:

Nice!! Reminds of a...what's it called? You know...that retro-thing Ducati used to make. Oh yeah!! The Classic Sport...wait...no. The SportClassic! Wish they still made those bikes :/

Tmnstr

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Precisely... A Sport Classic you can ride on a rainy day, with a R/R that doesn't set your arse on fire, paint that stays on the engine thu all weathers, and a tank that doesn't melt when you put petrol/gas into it.

It's not as pretty as a Sport Classic by a long stretch, but for a "sensible commuter" I'll take one.

Bad news is that they never made this bike... Fools!!!

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
I just don't want them to stop making air-cooled motors. A lot of the Hyper guys are saying the new HM will be a H2O motor from the 848.
I agree, but the times are leaning towards h20. Noise and pollution regulations make it much more attractive. Could they do a 2v h20 cooled bike though? Seems like the 4v business is really what makes those motors more complex.

·
301 Posts
If Ducati aren't sure, they could get forum member EIGHTfortyEIGHT to build it ;)

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Ducati has a few models that they could bring back
Dharma would be my choice
Sort of looks like the SE
JC, there was a cycleworld cover with a black and gold Darma back around 79-80 and it was then at14 years old I said I 'm going to have a ducati someday! I shit you not, it was that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
I agree. Why would we want a new model entering the market and devaluing our machines?
...I know what you mean, but I'd like to see them back in production simply cos they won't last forever, and I'd like this bike, or the evolution of it, to still be around to ride in 20 years.

I don't care about value. My bike is a ride, not an investment, and I'd like more people to share the fun with. I have a few mates who'd like a SC but simply can't get one for sensible money. To me that is a crying shame.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
...Why would we want a new model entering the market and devaluing our machines?
:rolleyes: Seriously? It's meant to be ridden, not as a method to fund your retirement.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I don't think that there is a market for retro bikes. Most of us here bought our SC's at a discount after they had been sitting at the dealers for a year or two. I've recounted here before that my local dealer had a shop full of Sports and PSs which they couldn't give away. Eventually he shifted the Sports at a loss and I remember the last PS was still in stock well over a year after launch and was being offered with full termi kit and other extras thrown in AND a discount to try and shift it.

Triumph Bonnevilles sell well, but are they a retro bike or just a verical twin with traditional styling? Moto-Guzzi never kept their V7 Special in production very long before dropping it.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I read somewhere that Ducati have no intention of bringing back the SS or the SC. I think it was Motorcyclist magazine I have to go and dig it up.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'll keep my SC, but more than another Duc SC, I would like the New Norton commando 961 se ... Maybe they will drop in value after sale and I can pick one up.

·
Registered
856 Posts
It won't bother me if they don't make em any more either. It's one of the reasons I bought mine. Not only are they just flat out beautiful....you just don't see them hardly at all. I bought mine without ever seeing one in person. Took me a year to find her but it was worth the wait.

Hey Bon1000. I was just out visiting San Francisco where I went to The Pebble Beach Concours d'elegance. Stunning cars and this year featured German Motorcycles. (I'll have to post some pics.) but I stopped by the Ducati place in San Francisco and was talking with the manager. He said that they were waiting on the new Norton to pass inspections in Cali that they were not able to sell them there yet for this reason. I to plan on getting one but at 18k + they are quite expensive.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts