Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

New project... What have I done :D '10 EVO SP

9K views 60 replies 19 participants last post by  amehl 
#1 ·
Hey all! Ive been here on the forum for about 10 years. I have a 1999 supersport, briefly had a 749 and just fixed and flipped an M900. Nothing beats the air-dooled bikes. I LOVED the monster but it was just too cramped, so I think I want to go the hyper rout. Yesterday i picked up one of my bucket list bikes - Hyper 1100 EVO SP

I've been watching this bike on craigslist for TWO months. It kept going down, and down, and down in price. Finally it was attractive enough to jump on it. Well... I now know why it was sitting for so long un-sold. It needs some work:

Front rim VERY SLIGHTLY bent. I believe he didnt even notice it, but I will get it fixed
Rear ohlins is completely blown. Needs rebuild.
Front tire is a Dunlop QUALIFIER (not even a Q2!!!) I have a Q3 to throw on.
Chain and sprockets are toast
Looks like the stator cover may be leaking, but otherwise the engine is very clean. Might replace it with a gasket instead of sealant
brakes feel like shit. need to solve that, hopefully just a bleed.
Body work is rough
He said a master tech did valves/belts, but seeing the condition I will go through it myself.
Has a weird custom exhaust.

Engine seems fine. Sounds great. As mentioned very clean.

I paid $5400, so I dont know if I over paid, but it came with some extremely nice aftermarket parts. I think I am going to ask around here to try and get some stock stuff and return it closer to original.

Cant wait to get it sorted out!!!

See less See more
#7 ·
I love that bike model!

Front rim VERY SLIGHTLY bent. I believe he didnt even notice it, but I will get it fixed
I'd consider leaving it until you accumulate another slight bent (If it is hardly noticeable and you plan to put many miles on it).

It reminds me of a joke about a guy looking at a dime inside a spittoon. He had no intention to wet his hand with other guys' spit to retrieve 10 cents. So he threw a quarter into it and said: "I'll do it for 35 cents".

Looks like the stator cover may be leaking, but otherwise the engine is very clean. Might replace it with a gasket instead of sealant
I've heard that the sealant is better than the gasket.

brakes feel like shit. need to solve that, hopefully just a bleed.
Bleeding the rear caliper is tricky. You have to take it out and place it upside down.

Enjoy your new toy!

#8 ·
Congrats on the new project, keep us posted on it. How many miles are on it just out of curiosity?

Interesting muffler, almost looks like one off a stock Japanese sport bike. Yeah, that'd be the first thing to go, at least seeing it off the bike is better than nothing while I work on fixing the other issues things....:grin2:

#11 ·
Thanks! I will likely want to track down some OEM parts. Not sure I will go back to stock exhaust just yet, but it's an option

Congrats on the new project, keep us posted on it. How many miles are on it just out of curiosity?

Interesting muffler, almost looks like one off a stock Japanese sport bike. Yeah, that'd be the first thing to go, at least seeing it off the bike is better than nothing while I work on fixing the other issues things....:grin2:
Good eye! It's an R1 muffler. the install is laughably bad. I will need to sort some things out myself. Again... I may leave it for a bit because im just focused on getting it road worthy again. The bike has 11,800 miles. Absolutely on the stock chain/sprockets. Another thing to address....

First order of business a suspension rebuild. Also it has a scotts damper that I will need to rebuild as well.

#10 ·
After your done working out all the new kinks of the bike....I suggest a quick throttle cam by Electraeon. Shortens up the throttle turn. Just received mine today, install was about 2 mins and feels great. No more awkwardly twisting my wrist to get to full throttle and the bike seems faster :). For $60 bucks and 2mins of wrenching...one of the best mods I've done.

Electraeon Fast Throttle Cam for Ducati motorcycles.

#12 ·
Not sure I will go back to stock exhaust just yet, but it's an option
Could go with a stock muffler system that's been cored (or do it yourself if you wish) on that bike; they're readily available and you'd save some funds for other fixes/repairs.

Not sure I will go back to stock exhaust just yet, but it's an option
Yikes, always discouraging to see that type of thing on a Duc but it's great when they change into better hands like yourself who'll bring them around again.

The bike has 11,800 miles
Nothing out of the ballpark, was kind of expecting you to say something like 28k! Saw another 1100 SP for sale recently (don't see them too often) which was listed at having over 20k and I don't think that is quite as common on one of these though... yet, at least on an SP. Although, true story, not going to say which but I was in a Ducati dealership recently and an employee asked how many miles were on my bike and Termignoni exhaust system. I said "just over 11k" and he looked at me bewildered in a sort of "well, you're on your own, man!" impression along with saying they'd never heard of anyone having that many miles on a Termi system before. Just thought that was kind of a funny (and more so) an adolescent response. And no, in no way shape or form is this type of mileage anywhere near uncommon for a modern Duc, many of which even have Termignoni exhaust systems- what a first. Guess they're just used to seeing the showroom models that display 10 miles on them or used to regular customers on a frequent "trade-up" schedule after every couple thousand. The whole thing actually left me feeling a bit gratified. :grin2:

Also it has a scotts damper that I will need to rebuild as well.
That was a nice bonus it came with.

Keep us posted on your project! She'll be worth the effort and let us know how we can help. Cool bike. :)

#13 ·
Could go with a stock muffler system that's been cored (or do it yourself if you wish) on that bike

Yikes, always discouraging to see that type of thing on a Duc but it's great when they change into better hands like yourself who'll bring them around again.
I have the stock muffler, but no midpipe as it was ruined to make this setup. One note is that it does have a PCV and an O2 optimizer in it, so it seems to be running pretty strong. That's another reason im not in a huge rush to change it (Although I need to replace the horrible exhaust hanger and fitment issues.. YUCK). I just flipped a monster that the EXACT same scenario played out. Poor neglected bike that I saved and flipped. Even made some money on it! I must love the punishment of buying molested and neglected bikes. HA!

Nothing out of the ballpark, was kind of expecting you to say something like 28k!
Yeah I was just looking for something under 14k with knowledge that the 7500 valves were done. I know these engines fairly well (air-cooled, not the EVO) and I know they are pretty dead reliable.

I am now researching the front fork oil/seal change, and it seems it may not be as straightforward as other models? I can do the older showas in my sleep, but these sound weird. Do you need any more special tools? Easy to tackle myself?

One reason I bought this thing is that it has absolutely awesome parts. At some point in its life, someone loved it dearly. Hast the 6.4 gal tank, EVR slipper, scotts damper, bonamici rearsets, DP low seat, PCV, and some other small stuff. If I can get it working properly, it will be great. I just didnt expect it to be this bad. I will post pics of the interesting choices made by the PO.

#19 ·
Nothing out of the ballpark, was kind of expecting you to say something like 28k! Saw another 1100 SP for sale recently (don't see them too often) which was listed at having over 20k and I don't think that is quite as common on one of these though... yet, at least on an SP. Although, true story, not going to say which but I was in a Ducati dealership recently and an employee asked how many miles were on my bike and Termignoni exhaust system. I said "just over 11k" and he looked at me bewildered in a sort of "well, you're on your own, man!" impression along with saying they'd never heard of anyone having that many miles on a Termi system before. Just thought that was kind of a funny (and more so) an adolescent response. And no, in no way shape or form is this type of mileage anywhere near uncommon for a modern Duc, many of which even have Termignoni exhaust systems- what a first. Guess they're just used to seeing the showroom models that display 10 miles on them or used to regular customers on a frequent "trade-up" schedule after every couple thousand. The whole thing actually left me feeling a bit gratified. :grin2:
I just finished up the 22k mile service on my 08 1100s. I am gratified every time I fire it up. !!

#14 · (Edited)
More fun discovered. Rear brake switch doesnt work, and one of the steering stop frame tabs is bent. Luckily not broken, but its not good none the less. Sigh.

Just doing easy stuff now. Cleaned up the bars and grips, started to clean and remove the shock and generally assessing the condition of the bike. Changing the damper oil now. The 2 biggest things to address are the wheel and rear shock.

#20 · (Edited)
Here is the update. Working on cleaning up all the wiring/hardware messes the PO made, as well as dirt. Shock is done and will be going on tonight. I got some good cleaning in too! Overall, the bike does seem to be in decent shape. The engine looks very clean. Turns out after cleaning and lubing the chain, they are fine. But I did discover the front brake switch is broken. Will be ordering one of those from Kurvy Girl as that seems to be the best price.

Look at this awful brake routing!!!!

All th grime and oil cleaned up:

Chain cleaned and adjusted. It's not so bad.

Clean engine! the jack stand is there as a precaution. It's not touching the case.

Everything was coated in oil from the shock:

#26 ·
Update. I was in europe for a month and did all sorts of cool motorcycle stuff, so this was on hold.

I got the shock back and installed it. What a pain! It is like a jigsaw puzzle trying to get that thing in! Hopefully it wont need another rebuild soon.

Fixed a faulty brake switch, more cleaning. cleaned breather.

Brake switch: 1pcs Marquardt 1022 2201 - Basic / Snap Action Switches microswitch $8.50 shipped, compared to the exact ducati part which is $90!!!!

Here is the rim damage which i am addressing next:

This exhaust... OMG it is BAD. I will have my friend (a very talented motorcycle fabricator) clean it up and get it reliable. Then i will likely have to get a tune for it.

Oil leak... Pooling on the drain plug, but im thinking stator cover? thoughts?

Here is another stripped bolt on the tank.... UGH

#27 ·
This project has been a nightmare.

The front wheel. I took it to a local place that our Ducati DEALER uses to straighten wheels. Before I took it into them, I put the wheel on a dial gauge to make sure it was straight. It was. After they attempted to fix it, they basically told me that it was now bent. I was pretty furious. They offered to ship it to an expert shop in TN (I think it was frame straight systems). Little did I know they were moving. LOOOOOONNNGGGG story short I just got my wheel back last week after 3.5 months. Note: do not use wheelkraft NW for wheel repairs.

I cleaned up some wiring and fixed the rear brake by just doing a reservoir delete. Motomummy will sell you some tube and a cap for $10 shipped.

Here was a big step back. I found a dent in the outer fork leg, deeming the left fork inoperable. HOLY HELL those outter legs are expensive! My friend (he makes all the Evol Tech parts) attempted to fix it, but with the tolerances being so exact, I just wasnt comfortable with it. New tube was $520? plus $20 for the bushings. OUCH.

But now I am close. I can see the light. I am getting excited.

Whats left:
Fix oil leak. I think it is the case side cover, and likely the slave o-ring. I feel like I run into this a lot.
Getting a partial custom exhaust made for it which will be a nice hanger for the slip on and clean up the connection between the muffler and the header.

Reactions: HyperJB
#29 ·
OK got the front end buttoned up today. HOLY that fork leg was expensive, but here is a tip:

Ihr Spezialist für original Motorrad Ersatzteile - KFM-Motorräder has CRAZY good deals on OEM. it is the cheapest place Ive found for sure. So for bigger items. Body panels are still too expensive.

I had issues fitting the seat after I repaired/replaced the blinkers. It was bottoming out on the wiring/PCV/starter relay. I think I have it good now and the seat seems to fit a little better.

Only TWO things left:

1. fix the oil leak - which I now think it s the SSR billet cover thing (which I dont like anyways), will replace slave o-ring as well as the case cover gasket. between those 3 things it should be good.

2. Get a custom exhaust made.

Getting close. Hopefully no new major setbacks.

Reactions: Baroquenride
#33 ·
Great work! Keep it up.

#34 ·
Huge progress this weekend,as well as some typical set-backs.

I am getting rid of all this awful anodized red nonsense on the bike. Red is the worst color as they always fade and end up being different shades of red. Put things back to stock.

Chasing down the oil leak. I dont think its the drain plug because it only leaks after the engine has been running. So I replaced the alternator cover sealant with the CA Cycleworks gasket, replaced the slave o-ring, and then put the stock outer cover on. I think the SSR red one was leaking as well (in above pic).

ALL DONE AND CLEAN!

I also wanted to get rid of the cheesy Chinese frame sliders. They were terrible looking and really cheap. I found a set of Speedymotos on eBay for $25 and put them on, BUT - did you know that the width changed from 2009 to 2010? These were specifically off of an 07-09, and the threads weren't deep enough. I had to buy a die to fix the threads on it and then chop it to length (I also crossthreaded one of the puck threads and had to tap it :cry:). All done now and looks much better.

NEW SETBACK! I tipped the bike on an angle to get the alternator cover free of oil. I partially propped up the bike by putting a jack stand under the peg. When I was done, I noticed the peg was now BENT. I took it apart to investigate and found several issues.

1. Bonamici reasets suck. Do not buy them. Bad design and not that well-made.
2. They were assembled incorrectly on both sides.
3. Because of this, the peg was loose which caused the bolt to bend.
4. This caused the bearings to fail, which makes sense because the brake pedal always felt horrible.

It also messed up this VERY specific spacer that you can't buy as a replacement part, so I will have to have one custom made... very annoying.

Bearings did not come out easy at all. Hopefully the new ones will go in straight... ?

I also just started to mock up the exhaust hanger. I dont know what one looks like for a termi or something, so I am just going to make one that will work. If anyone has a pic of theirs they could post it would be MUCH appreciated.

As of now its about 95% done! I tried to get it in the sun today for pics, but kept messing things up, and now its dark. Who knows when the next nice day will be!

Reactions: araitim
#39 ·
And if you want to come over and see it in person, you're welcome to do that. I went to take a pic today before work but realized that it's hidden behind the panel and I didn't have time to pull it off.

Reactions: amehl
#41 ·
I am just waiting for parts in the mail but here is something I did a while ago. The bars were so sloppy.The PO had REAR SPOOLS with compression plugs as bar ends and no mirrors. before/after:

#42 ·
Bike is all done. besides the exhaust and checking the valves. The exhaust will be pretty simple and I will use the can that came with it. Just need to get the measurements down.

I think I am going to use a universal mount. Not ideal, but it will make it easier if I get a termi can or something in the future. The way it sits I cant use the mount on the can.

Cant stand these Bonamici rearsets. I had a friend remake a part so it seems to me a little better after the new bolts and bearings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.