Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guy at MBP Ducati (http://mbpducati.ca/) and I are developing \ building an SC for Bonneville 2010. While discussing forks Guy suggested modified 748 forks . After some thought I bought 2 sets 748 forks & 1 set 749 offa Ebay. I then collaberated with Maxx the machinist to come up with triple clamps I decided to keep the basic Ducati design for the top clamp but with about 1mm more material around the forks for strength and added a nice CNC'd Ducati Wing logo for looksThe bottom clamp was based on a design I used on my Monster encorporating it as a brake junction which minimizes brake line. The mounting face of the Brembo calipers were machined down by Maxx by 3mm so they center over SC rotors. I also carved the excess crap offa the stock SC headlite mount AND got rid of those dam UGLY horns !

Here is a list of parts \materials

748 forks - polished then hard ano'd black
748 Caps & adjusters - polished and ano'd clear\black\blue
748 lower legs - powder coated mirror black
Ohlins piston \ shim kit
Ducati 748 springs
Ohlins fork oil
Top clamp - Maxx CNC'd machined 6061 c\w Ducati wing logo
Lower clamp -Maxx machined 6061 CNC'd polished 6061 c\w Aeroquip blue ano'd #3 fittings
Earls pre-made stainless brake lines
Brembo Billet 2 piece calipers - 40 mm bolt spacing

Left to do this week:
Powder coat Healite mount
Install Brembo 19x20 Brake & Clutch Masters c\w folding levers
Rizoma Reservoirs
Penske rear shocks c\w remote reserviors
Brembo rotors

I took the bike out for a shake down run tonite and I gotta tell you this thing handles ! I had to adjust the fork height a couple of times to get back to a familiar riding position . I went thru some high speed sweepers and switch backs WOW ! It sure is nice to be able to gently 'set down' the front end from a 70mph second gear wheelie instead of the pogo stick slam I used to get! Going into a fast hard corner without the front end compressing flat is a welcome improvement and getting out without any wobble, etc is great ! Switchbacks and shikanes were a breeze ! Braking you ask ?? Once the pads found their place it was 2 finger brakey time !

muzzmann

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,374 Posts
Beautiful work, guys. What speed class(es) are you thinking about?

Sure do wish you lived down the block from me! I'd sweep the garage floors and goffer burgers to be able to assist with a Bonneville run!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Very nice work- congrats! Thanks for taking the time to post. Curious also about what class you're building the bike to.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bonneville

Guy and I are developing a 'big inch' DS motor based on ideas I have had kicking around for years. We were going to run this year but could not get a crank done in a timely manner.

We hope to be running in the following class :

MPS\G\1350\4

MPS = (modified frame partial streamlining)
G = ( modified engine , gas)
1350 \ 4 = ( 1000cc to 1350cc displacement, 4 cycle)

SCTA really needs to have a class for twins but it is what it is !

Thanks for your interest and support guys !

Muzzmann

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BONNEVILLE WHEELS....etc

Sweet. Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to following your progress. Are you going to run wire wheels at Bonneville?
Havent got to the wheels yet ....probably gonna run Alpina spoked tubless wheels ....749 front forks done up as I did the ones for my 07 SC pictured here .....the bike is based on an 06 SC Monoposto ..but with retro styling ....big displacement and a whole buncha one - off stuff ...I will post as we progress

Muzzmann

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No Problemo ....

Awesome!!! Interested in making another triple clamp? I want one!

I could have that done for you . just need to know what forks you are running as I would have to get my cnc guy to change the hole size for yours as I am running 748 forks ...if I remember correctly the 748's were only about 2mm bigger ...so there would be some programming time involved ..i still have a couple of stock SC front ends so test fitment would not be an issue ...it wont be cheap tho cause to make em cost effective more is cheaper ... I can check for you tho .....

Steffano

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I really dig the powdercoated engine... nice work.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks- here's some more pics !

Thanks it was a lot of work ! The cylinders , heads and all covers are done in mirror black powder ..... believe it or not the cases are done with Tremclad gloss black :0) ! I was too time strapped to split the cases, strip em and re-coat . That grey crap Ducati uses as bondo\coating hides a lot of NASTY casting imperfections which take a lot of time to grind off ...I did some of it when I had the motor up on the stand whilst doing the top end but I will be doing it right this winter when I split the cases to convert to a dry clutch and lighten the crank . Altho I gotta tell you Tremclad works VERY well ..it is self-leveling and hides imperfections well .. i have a 1973 Honda 4 motor I did the cases with 30 years ago and it still shines up and looks new !

Including a few pics of my Monster re-do trying to have both of em ready for a big outdoor show this weekend and still have to :

Assemble Monster

SC - install Brembo clutch and brake masters, rizoma reservoirs, etc, etc....

talk about last minute !

MuzzMann

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks Ed !

Ed , I appreciate your comments on this front end . I have almost 3,000 miles on it now and last weekend took a 400mile ride thru the mountains here ...lots of uphill\downhill hairpin switchbacks , etc etc ...this set up improves the SC beyond what I expected !

steffano

1 - 17 of 17 Posts