Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode up 49 today to try and escape the smoke. I found that they had just repaved from Downieville to Sierra City. I turned around there since I did not want to be at the back of a 20 car line due to lane control. The new pavement is exceptionally smooth with the exception of the center lines. the double yellow is recessed so it will survive snowplowing operations. I would never cross a double yellow as you all know, but it might do strange things to your handling "if" you inadvertently happen to cross it.
Also, if you are looking for a different road to ride, you may want to try Ridge Road. It turns off 49 about 5 miles past North San Juan and heads to Alleghany. It reminded me of WWS a bit. It is an out and back unless you want to hit dirt roads like me. JB

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
I remember 49 past Downieville to be pretty decent before being repaved. Past Downieville to Auburn is kind of a pain with lines of traffic and slow going. Thanks for the report JB. A few weeks back Quan and I took some fantastic roads from 89 to Susanville to 139 up to Adin, Ca and back the next day on 299 back to 89 then 80. At least I did that with a "minor" detour, Quan had to get back to Stockton for an event so we split up outside of Redding and he took I/5 all the way back in 100+ degree temps on a 1098. Can we say Iron Butt? I missed my 89 turn off 299 and found myself outside of Redding so I turned around and went back up the mountain on 44, that was a nice stretch of pavement too. All in all I went to areas I've never been before on a bike and really enjoyed it. I actually wanted to keep going after reaching our destination at the astronomy event which was awesome as well. The ride has got me thinking about taking an alternative route back up to Nor Cal and into Oregon and beyond for a few days. It helps to be on a bike thats designed for that and has plenty of storage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts