Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had problems buying new parts for the 748-996 range?
I have been waiting 3 months for a oil cooler for a 98 748 sps to just be told that Ducati are no longer making the part.....which tbh is a bit shit.
Has anyone else run into this issue before and how did you overcome/get round it.
I have bought second hand parts in the past but found in this case that old parts are just as likely to fail so decided to fork the extra cash on new.

Cheers

Glen

·
Matt
691 Posts
I haven't had any problems with getting clarity as to what is still available. I believe a lot of these parts aren't being made any more so it's either in stock and available or it's simply not available (now or ever). I'm based in the US and there are a variety of good sources, but I've typically used Ducati Omaha for getting oem parts. Their online tool will tell you if the part is stocked by Ducati or no longer available. And on rare occasion I've ordered something that still shows as available and later find out it isn't, but they let me know within a couple of days of placing the order. For me it typically takes approx 1 week to 10 days for the dealer to get me something out of Ducati's stock. So even though you wouldn't likely order it from Ducati Omaha, you could use their online tool to get a view of what the availability likely is. The online tool will also tell you whether the parts that are available are indeed the original spec parts or whether they are a superseded part (which will work functionally, but may have some differences from prior versions).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Owning these older bikes and sourcing parts is part of the fun and challenge. Ducati (and most other OEM) will usually not keep making spare parts more than a decade after the models are out of production. So for a 748 or 996, they are a minimum of 15 years old now.

With so many sold over the years there will likely be a supply of used parts, or upgraded race parts from the aftermarket, available for the future.

At one point a couple of years ago I had three bikes (Honda VF1000R, early Aprilia Mille, Ducati 851), and the 851 was the easiest bike to get parts for

·
Registered
132 Posts
My experience with Japanese bikes is that they generally don't make parts for bikes that are older than 10 years past the last similar model. I'm assuming that Ducati has adopted a similar approach. You're seeking parts for a 20 yr old bike and are probably out of luck.

·
Matt
691 Posts
My experience is that just about everything is still available for the 916-era street bikes. Where I've run into problems is:

- The price is sometimes crazy. It might be that is was crazy to begin with (back when the parts were first introduced) or somehow the spare parts pricing formula drove the number up to something crazy. So because of this there's been many times where I find that I want to seek used parts as that's more cost effective. An example would be the swingarm. You can still buy a brand new swingarm from Ducati; they have it in stock. Per Ducati Omaha's site the price is USD$3,157. Available, but used swingarms are likely the preferred route for most of us.

- Superseded parts. This is for cases where you care about originality..sometimes that's important and sometimes it isn't. Examples of this would be fairings. Just about all of it is still "available", but almost all of it has been superseded by the most current version of the part. So if you are chasing a first gen upper side fairing with the first gen Cagiva-era graphics you'll see that the part shows as available, but it's been superseded to a new part number which will indeed be an upper side fairing, but with the later graphics. And in most cases that's a no-go.

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
54840121A

part# goes into the cart at US ducati Omaha-should be avail./also if it is obsolete ask any dealer to do a dealer "locator" which they can check any dealer that has one on the shelf.takes 1 minute.good luck. https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/54840121a also that part has several applications so it should be available;1994 916
Oil Cooler
1994 916 SP
Oil Cooler
1994 916 Senna
Oil Cooler
1995 748
Oil Cooler Sp
1995 916
Oil Cooler
1995 916 SP
Oil Cooler
1995 916 Senna
Oil Cooler
1996 748
Oil Cooler Sp
1996 916
Oil Cooler
1996 916 SP
Oil Cooler
1996 916 Senna
Oil Cooler
1997 748
Oil Cooler Sp
1997 916
Oil Cooler
1997 916 SPS
Oil Cooler
1997 916 Senna
Oil Cooler
1998 748 SPS
Oil Cooler
Year Model Fiche Section
1998 916 SPS
Oil Cooler
1998 916 Senna
Oil Cooler
1999 748 SPS
Oil Cooler
1999 996
Oil Cooler
1999 996 S USA
Oil Cooler
1999 996 SPS
Oil Cooler
1999 996 SPS II
Oil Cooler
1999 996 USA
Oil Cooler
2000 748 R Single-Seat
Oil Cooler
2000 996
Oil Cooler
2000 996 SPS
Oil Cooler
2000 996 SPS III
Oil Cooler
2001 748 R Single-Seat
Oil Cooler
2001 996
Oil Cooler
2001 996 S
Oil Cooler
2002 748 R Single-Seat
Oil Cooler

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
My experience with Japanese bikes is that they generally don't make parts for bikes that are older than 10 years past the last similar model. I'm assuming that Ducati has adopted a similar approach. You're seeking parts for a 20 yr old bike and are probably out of luck.
Typically a part goes OoS when it's not economically feasible to order 2 or 3 a year. When demand dries up, the vehicle manufacturer will quit requesting resupply from the parts supplier.

And if it's selling O.K. for a few years, then the price goes up because they're ordering 10 a year from the maker instead of 10,000...users quit buying them, so it gets dropped.

Some consumables sell good for a lot of years (like carb gaskets and jets), so the manufacturer keeps ordering them from the maker. Lots of them.

No manufacturer is going to just quit stocking something because it's a part for a 10 or 15 year old bike. It's all about demand.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When the sticker shock for new wears off, find a good used part. A place like gotham constantly cycles through parts for old Ducatis.
https://www.gothamcycles.com/748-916-996-9981346079199/Ducati-Oil-Cooler-748-9961346662046.html

The last one came from Gotham, it lasted 3 trackdays before blowing :(

Or if the price is not an issue, upgrade for a bit more
https://www.hsbkracing.com/parts-an...r-ducati-748-916-996-oversize-oil-cooler-kit/
Didnt know they were still making these. It is a little out of my range for now but could be a possibility if I knuckle down

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Gentlemen,

You have given me some hope

Have emailed Ducati Omaha plus another couple of companies that may have them as old stock

I have even emailed a radiator manufacture in the South Island to see if they could make a new cooler and what the cost could be

Fingers crossed that one may come up

·
Registered
253 Posts
I ordered lock nuts and washers to do the timing belts on my 996. After three weeks of waiting, the Duc dealer said that the warehouse in Italy, after merging with Lamborghini, could not locate their stock of the lock nuts (for the tensioner pulleys). I ended up getting them off eBay, but seems like their inventory issue, even with existing parts, is struggling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts