Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed my new HID kit. Huge difference. I need to clean up the install a bit, but it works. New clutch plates came in today. Thank god! It is slipping really bad now. Next I have to have my fork seals replaced (rt leg is leaking) change my belts and check my valves. This thing is a neverending expense. lol

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clutch pack is in. Too cold to test ride. I blew my hid low beam. :( I cleaned up all the wiring and had to safety wire the bulb in place because the clip wont hold it in place. It came out and got a spec dirt on the bulb and blew. 2 more bulbs are on their way. Thats what I get for working on it at 2am.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Was wondering if you got the bike going strong again , I wonder about the HID longevity in general ? Rode mine to work yesterday and at about 2am Friday it was 25 on the dash and she did not like starting, may change to thinner oil , seems like she ain't as happy this year starting when cold ?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just installed my new HID kit. Huge difference. I need to clean up the install a bit, but it works. New clutch plates came in today. Thank god! It is slipping really bad now. Next I have to have my fork seals replaced (rt leg is leaking) change my belts and check my valves. This thing is a neverending expense. lol
hey rob, just curious, are you going to change your belts and check your valves yourself or have a dealer do it? i ask because i probably need to do that as well and would like to do it myself but i'm a little apprehensive.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I am not sure yet. Ive read every forum post and viewed every video I can find on changing the belts. The biggest thing is getting the tension correct. Ill have to buy more manuals. I would like to do the belts myself but would want someone me who has done it to watch over me. I am definately buying Bucci belts from desmotimes. $70 a set vs 145 for the oem. Supposedly they are made by Gates, the same manufacturer as the Ducati oem. As for the valve adjustments Ill take it to George at Motorrad. George has always taken care of me and finished my bike within one day or less. When he did my 12k service I had him do belts all fluids check the rockers, fuel filte,r clean my air filters, check the valves and fix my fuel leak. It only ran $850.00 for parts and labor.

http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/916belts.php

http://www.ducatitech.com/4v/maint/belts/index.html

·
Registered
234 Posts
if you decide to do the belts yourself let me know. if you don't mind i would like to see it done so i can decide whether or not i want to do it myself or not. i will need to change my belts soon.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Belt changing party at Rob's!!!! I can bring the Desmoquattro manual I got from Desmo Times, if that'll help.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I find on you tube how to change the timing belt
I never change before the will be nice to know how
this guys was using the N 5 & 6 alien wrench to adjustable the tension on the belt
if any body doing on you bike let me know
Thanks Vito

·
Registered
176 Posts
for your belts, get a guitar tuner or if you have an Iphone you can use that too with a special application. You then set the belts by frequency, the right way to do it. I don’t remember at what decibel the belts need to be at but you can look that up in the factory manual or the Desmotimes one.

Here is a link that might be helpful: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=34933

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Drew, The manual states it for new belts. I am not sure on the 2v but on some of the 4v it was 145hz. Which is extemely tight so they did an addendum and lowerd it to 110hz for new belts. For old or used belts it was dropped down to 85hz. My manual states nothing about hz. So make sure you have the correct hertz before you adjust it.

If we are doing a belt party who has the best garage?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am not sure if your older 4V motor is like my 1098 but the only way to change the belts on mine is with the special crankshaft locking tool and camshaft locking tool,without these tools the cam timing will be off so be careful

Rich

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On the older bikes it's not that difficult. You put it in 6th gear remove the plugs and rotate the rear wheel to get TDC. One pulley is spring loaded but I plan to buy a tool too keep it from rotating.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts