Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

New owner and first time rider in Florida. I just picked up my 2009 gt 1000 yesterday. I realize this is probably not the best bike to start out with but I’ve loved them ever since watching the initial case scene in tron legacy. I always kept an eye out and when this one came up with only 4K miles I figured it’s time I pulled the trigger. It’s a little rough (sitting for a long while) but luckily I have a strong mechanical back round to get her straightedges out. First thing on the list is a tune up and belt inspection, full fluid change and to replace the original 2008 dated tires. I’ll get some decent pictures tomorrow when I start the year down.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! Post some pictures of the bike when you can.
Lots of good information from helpful folks here. What StraDuc said about the belts...

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When pulling the plugs I found both plugs on the belt side were very loose. You can see the blow by on them (2 on right) vs the left side plugs.

Oil was not even in the glass. I went ahead and drained, color was very dark but still had a red tint. I assume after filling you need to run the bike to fill the oil cooler then top up again?

Oil plug had some metal shavings but not the worst I’ve ever seen. With only 4K miles I’m hoping that this is older oil and most of this material is from breaking the engine in.

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Also forgive my multiple posts but I’m doing this from my phone.

Belts seem in good shape. I will be changing them as advised by you for peace of mind. Hopefully gates makes as racing belt as I favor them heavily.

Tension on the belt seemed a little loose to me. I could use my finger and lift it off of the tensioner. I need to find some literature on servicing these engines if anyone can recommend a good source (I’ll do some research on the forum tonight).

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few questions to you though. My tank makes contact with the top triple at full lock in both directions. Is this common? I remember hearing the monsters had issues. Or maybe this is due to the tank expansion I’ve read about on these bikes?
Also there are magnets stacked in the cooling fins of the top cylinder. Anyone have any insight on this?
Parting shot for your viewing pleasure.

·
Registered
920 Posts
New plugs! Now!
Be sure to pull oil screen below and to the right of the oil level window and check it for debris. Careful it's fragile and easy to break the temperature probe in there.
Since you don't know the belts age change them before you run the engine. Period. They always look fine when you change them but if one let's go your engine is toast. The belts get tensioned harmonically. There is a thread just a little bit below this one talking about where to get apps to tune the belts. The DS engine cannot be accurately done in any kind of a mechanical way to check the tension. You need an app.
The tank is rubbing because it has swelled from ethanol. The rubber pucks should set snugly on the hooks at the front of the frame. If they were it wouldn't be rubbing. Bummer.
The little discs you see between the fins on the cylinders are a little rubber pucks to keep the cylinder fins from vibrating to keep the noise down so it would pass noise regulations. You can pull them out and dispose of them if you want.
LT Snyder has a good maintenance book. The factory service manual should be able to be found online as a DVD or download. I haven't looked but it might be available on this site too.

Reactions: ncgt1000

·
Registered
920 Posts
You should also check the tensioner bearings when you change the belts and be aware the original spec for belt tension was listed as 140 Hz in the Duc factory manual. This was found to be too tight and was reduced to 100-110 Hz by Ducati because it caused premature tensioner bearing failure.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Compliments of Yorik. Found in the Tech section list of workshop manuals. I have a spiral bound print out of it a friend made for me. I still recommend the LT Snyder manual because of the "real world" methods he has instead of the factory "use Ducati tool number..." methods. I always have both open when wrenching.
Ducati_Sport_Classic_1000.pdf

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I very much appreciate the help! What an awesome community.

I have also have a question about some parts that came with the bike. The seller included the original rear fender but also a luggage rack and leather Ducati bag that seems to fit the rack. Are these common items? I plan to change the seat and probably won’t ever need these items. Are they worth holding on to or should I use them to fund a mono seat conversion?

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I’m interested in the rack and bag if you’re thinking of selling them.
I probably will be selling them though I’m going to hold off for a little bit as I’m still very new to the bike. I’ll let you know though.

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alright, update time. New tires and tubes Bridgestone S21 BATTLAX front and rear. K&N oil filter and Motul 15w40. Timing belts replaced with Ducati belts and tensioned to 107-110 hz. Throttle was replaced with a G2 “throttle tamer” and new grip and mirrors. Also removed the charcoal canister.

Bike started right up and ran smoothly!... except the fuel leak on the supply and return fittings. So tomorrow I’ll be looking into new fittings and possibly a new fuel filter while I’m at it. Also when the lines are removed from the tank should fuel leak from the tank connections or should there be a check valve system to prevent that?

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found a post for the super bikes mentioning these as a replacement for the plastic fittings. should be here next week. Also saw the service bulletin for the filter hose coming loose so that’s been added to the list. Can someone verify the fuel lines are a 3/8 line? I’d like to get some replacements to have on hand.

·
Registered
2009 GT 1000
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Fuel filter changed, all lines replaced (with the exception of the filter plate line) and stainless fuel injection clamps used, cleaned out the tank (return hose was disintegrated, but’s everywhere). Unfortunately the fittings are cast into the plate so a temporary solution is in place until I find another plate to try some modifications on. I don’t want to do any cutting on my only one! Just need to pick up two more clamps and some ethanol free gas and I can test her out!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I applaud your efforts and creativity. Have you test fit the tank? You don’t want those fuel fittings too close to the rear exhaust. Would like to see an installed pic!

·
Official Retired Person
7,497 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and the work so far. Looking good. I think you're going to fit right in here.

There are a number of us that are partial to the GT1000!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts