Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 146 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Overland Expo West

Attended the Expo in AZ and started to familiarize myself with the new bike.

Road: The ride out to AZ from SoCal took 8 hours. I40 had high wind warnings and the amount of trucks on the road made it a back and forth battle as I rode into the wind and away from trucks as I passed. I was able to maintain highway speeds over 80 mph with control and comfort, even on the knobblies that Anakee designed. (They say they are a 50/50 tyre, and I agree)
The bike handled the wind well with the larger front beak and touring windscreen, but the Touratech bags catch a lot of wind and push you around a bit more than previous aerodynamic bags on my Pikes Peak. (More storage is nice though) Harley seem to handle the wind better with their 400lb advantage.

Dirt: I practiced some basics in the corral they set up at Overland and went on some trails that were rated a 5 out of 10, just to feel it out. In maneuverability around the corral and practicing throttle control, the bike feels lighter than you might expect and moves over obstacles easily. I was able to power slide around and roll over small obstacles with ease. Lofting was a bit different as the wheelie control settings are tricky and power band is much higher than the GS, or what I am used to. I think I need more practice to get the front end up consistently.
On the trail: The Anakee Wilds held the terrain very well, (I had the Trail II's on just before this and they slide around a lot more) and I felt well connected to loose ground that gave me confidence over water and rocks. I could have gone on more aggressive trails with this set up quite easily.
Overall: Touring on this bike is great. The oem seat was comfortable, (no Airhawk needed) the controls easy to use, and the fatigue factor is lower because of the larger front end and touring windscreen. The cornering headlight (new to me) was nice, but the main headlights do lack the depth needed in dark roads. I will add ClearWater lights for more depth.
I think this bike will be far better in many aspects than other adventure bikes as you get a well rounded experience on and off the road. e.g. The touring aspect of the Duc delivers a higher performance oriented ride and as for the dirt, offers more than thought possible. (Higher speeds, better cornering ='s more fun, IMHO)

That was a quick 1300 miles and a good start to understanding this bike. Sure a pro would have more to say with their experience, but I am glad this novice is able to enjoy the bike as it was designed and excited to develop the skills on a bike that offers more excitement than the other adventure bikes on the market today. IMHO.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
It looks like the crash bars are quite low and that the handguards and upper fairing would hit first. Not suggesting that you try them out, but hard to tell from the pix. Great idea to hone your dirt chops on the new bike in a controlled setting.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I am not sure the pictures show the coverage of the 1" bars, but they are low and just outside the front beek. I think on some low side falls will hit the front. I am mounting clearwater lights just under the bars and they too will get hit in a fall. The bark busters will def get hit and the turn signals on top of the will break for sure. I usually turn in the mirrors on the dirt to avoid damage.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm still on the fence between the S and the Enduro. (6'3" 225lbs) I've been procrastinating for a year looking at a new bike. Always liked the GS, ridden it but never owned one. Love the 1000XR but hate the vibes at 130/140kmhr. I have concluded it is going to be a Ducati S or Enduro. Riding for 20 plus years I'm still no pro carver but would use the bike daily rain or shine, communting and touring.

I hope to do a few 2000/3000km 2-4 days trips each year minimum. I've ridden the S and Enduro back to back and back again. The issue was the Enduro I rode had the knobbys with less then 10km on them and I wasn't confidence on any sort of road turn in. I love the looks of both bikes. I love the aluminum panniers of the Enduro verse the cheap plastic of the S, and the overal sizing of the bike - weight aside. But the S is inspiring on the road - yet lacks the stability of the Enduro as speed on the highway. YET the Enduro is kind of scary on the road/city while corning? Is it just the knobbys that had me or is the bike that different then the S for the average rider on the street? I want to love the Enduro - but I'm not comfortable at even moderate speeds on the street with it??:frown2:

·
Registered
709 Posts
riva996, Thanks for the pix! From the looks of it, the crash bars offer minimal protection. Some other aftermarket outfit will probably come up w/ an alternative design as time goes by. I also had a '12 PP but the main bearing on the stator side failed and grenaded the internals at 55K miles...loved that paint scheme the best of the 3 multis I've had, although the '14PP runs better than any of them. As soon as I get some time I'll go down and test the enduro as I'm hoping that it will be more comfortable for me at 6'2", plus I tend to stand up quite a bit just to give my legs and ass a break and the enduro might assist in that regard as well. Thanks again for the excellent pix...it answered my questions!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
......Is it just the knobbys that had me or is the bike that different then the S for the average rider on the street? I want to love the Enduro - but I'm not comfortable at even moderate speeds on the street with it??
I too find the knobbies a bit challenging, but the Wilds are solid in corners to 40degrees, so hanging off is required at higher speeds.
Touring on the Enduro is WAAAAY better than the S. Wind protection, cruise, heavier, smoother trans,='s better touring imho. We might have to get Aztec to make new spacers to push the wind up a bit more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the feed back..anyone else with thoughts.. The Wilds I take it are the standard street tires for the Enduro.
Again I did find the Enduro better at most things - except of course the corning.

·
Premium Member
12,101 Posts
It is an attention grabber for sure.

My thinking is loose the luggage and forget about crash bars ...
That is why insurance is bought???

I guessed that you was a tall people.

No excuses now!!
what's holding you back?

Enjoy I wanna see mud!:grin2:

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Oem tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's. The Anakee Wilds are not oem and just relased by Michelin. I have run both tyres on the street and dirt and the Wilds are better on dirt and good on the road under 90mph.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
It is an attention grabber for sure.

My thinking is loose the luggage and forget about crash bars ...
That is why insurance is bought???

I guessed that you was a tall people.

No excuses now!!
what's holding you back?

Enjoy I wanna see mud!
I agree, short runs without luggage is fine, but on longer runs, I will take them and unload when I get there. Crash bars are only to hold accessory lights and limit the times I have to buy body panels?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oem tyres are Pirelli Scorpion Trail II's. The Anakee Wilds are not oem and just relased by Michelin. I have run both tyres on the street and dirt and the Wilds are better on dirt and good on the road under 90mph.
BUT - has anyone had any experience / feed back on the ENDURO with the OEM Scorpion IIs. I've ridden the Enduro with the Scorpion Rallys. Not so safe a feeling on the asphalt.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree, short runs without luggage is fine, but on longer runs, I will take them and unload when I get there. Crash bars are only to hold accessory lights and limit the times I have to buy body panels?
X2! I just picked up my Enduro on Friday. Have everything on this bike except the sport pack and she is a very BIG girl with all the cases installed and full tank of gas. I think the side panels would definitely benefit from some sort of "eyebrow" crash protection ....

·
Registered
15 Posts
X2! I just picked up my Enduro on Friday. Have everything on this bike except the sport pack and she is a very BIG girl with all the cases installed and full tank of gas. I think the side panels would definitely benefit from some sort of "eyebrow" crash protection ....

Please make sure to give us your thoughts once you start breaking in the tires... I wish there was a few videos on guys carving with the Enduro (on the street tires)

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
finally saw one at my local dealer....whoa! definitely a size improvement over the non-enduro but it definitely looks the biz. the swingarm looks a lot better than i thought it would, and the front fascia/tank is very pronounced, as is its height. i have no business owning one but hope that all of its owners love theirs.

best,

·
Registered
108 Posts
Picked mine up last week. Just had the 600 maintenance done so I can wind it up a bit.
I am having trouble finding an axle socket or torque specs. Owners book says dealer for chain adjust (ya right). Anyone know where to find a shop manual/thumb drive for this model?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Picked up my 2016 multistrada enduro today

This bike is a blast to ride! I ordered the touring and enduro packs along with the rear luggage rack. The bags are very well made. The enduro pack isn't available yet...hope to have it installed at 600 mile check. The luggage rack was problematic...no instructions and wrong hardware...The dealer persisted and got it installed. I also bought the extended warratny...bringing it to 5 years.

My only concern is a high pitched whistling noise between 30 and 60 mph. I didn't hear this on the two demo rides I took on two different bikes. Has anyone else experienced this. It is painful to listen to...I was riding with a half helmet so it was very noticable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This bike is a blast to ride! I ordered the touring and enduro packs along with the rear luggage rack. The bags are very well made. The enduro pack isn't available yet...hope to have it installed at 600 mile check. The luggage rack was problematic...no instructions and wrong hardware...The dealer persisted and got it installed. I also bought the extended warratny...bringing it to 5 years.

My only concern is a high pitched whistling noise between 30 and 60 mph. I didn't hear this on the two demo rides I took on two different bikes. Has anyone else experienced this. It is painful to listen to...I was riding with a half helmet so it was very noticable.
I lucked out! The dealer had everything needed to piece together the Urban and Enduro pack in house on mine...plus it came with the Touring package and I also added the lower seat option.

Didn"t notice any whistling sounds? Awesome bike!! I have had no problems yet except that my right mirror points way too high. I adjusted the lever mount to fix the mirror problem but the the brake lever is about a half inch higher then the left side.

13254104_1350263288337083_238205379018318227_n.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got the Touring and Urban pack as the price seemed to work better. I learned that this combo is not a good one. The tank bag interferes with the handlebar kit that comes in the touring pack. I also lost the ability to RAM mount my phone and radar detector as they were restricted on turns by the bag. Long story short is the bag is off and everything else is back mounted. Tank bag for sale.... lol On a side note I had my brushed aluminum panels line-x ed after one off road mishap. The anodized aluminum really marked up very easily so with the line x this is no longer a problem. Dealer did a good job of matching the aluminum look. This bike makes me smile everyday and get a ton of compliments. With all the bags mounted it is a big beast.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I got the Touring and Urban pack as the price seemed to work better. I learned that this combo is not a good one. The tank bag interferes with the handlebar kit that comes in the touring pack. I also lost the ability to RAM mount my phone and radar detector as they were restricted on turns by the bag. Long story short is the bag is off and everything else is back mounted. Tank bag for sale.... lol On a side note I had my brushed aluminum panels line-x ed after one off road mishap. The anodized aluminum really marked up very easily so with the line x this is no longer a problem. Dealer did a good job of matching the aluminum look. This bike makes me smile everyday and get a ton of compliments. With all the bags mounted it is a big beast.
What RAM Mount system do you use? The one that is attached to the handlebar or one that is mounted on the handlebar clamp? Picking up mine this week at Ducati Bellevue and will probably have the same problem. Added the full Termignonis, but apparently these will only be shipped in July...

21 - 40 of 146 Posts