Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

**New Owner Thread...Liquid Cooled MTS...Discuss and Show Us Yours**

166K views 466 replies 255 participants last post by  SeventhGear 
#1 · (Edited)
A place for owners to share their new bike stories/photos/questions, or anything related to.

#2 ·
New to Ducati

I've just clocked up the first 500 km - no chance for a long trip yet, so it has been little more than my morning commute.

Apart from keeping to the service schedule, do other forum members have any recommendations about general bike care? I see a lot of people here do most of the work on their bikes themselves. I intend to keep this bike for a long time, and I like looking after my stuff.

So, what do people here to to look after their bikes?

Cheers
John

Reactions: Maxmach
#3 ·
The list is long but I will address something you may want to look at with your mileage. I think one of the most surprising items for me was the chain and sprockets. They really don't seem to last very long and the chain needs constant adjustment especially when new. My guess is if you take out the chain gauge out of the tool kit yours will need adjusted after 500km. There are plenty of threads that discuss how to adjust your chain but if you need any help just ask!

#4 ·
Yes, thanks I had read that thread, and I will check the chain tension in the next week or so. I've put my name down as a pre-order for the C-Spanner as well.

Cheers
John

#5 ·
Tighten every coolant hose clamp on the bike and then do it again in another 2K, if you have a center stand do the skid plate slot mod the first time you change the oil so you don't need to remove the center stand every time. I have not experienced chain stretching but I have left the gauge in place and ridden off, don't do this, found mine in the road flat as a pancake.

Go here for good info (service, mods): Motorcycle Info Pages - MTS1200 DIY Mods > MTS1200 DIY Mods

Here: Home

and here (not a 2013 but much is the same): MTS20120020tech manual

#6 ·
Welcome to wheelie city!

Not everybody here does all the work on their own bikes, but almost everybody plays with them at least a bit.

These bikes may be a bit fussy (or complex if you prefer), but as the owner of a new one, I don't think you'll find you have to do too much of anything except be observant. Your warranty covers the work and parts, all you need to do is be sensitive to your new bike. Service intervals are extended and even though a lot of people tend to halve the oil change intervals (I do) the first real service isn't due until 15000 miles. The other ones (600-7500) are glorified oil changes.

Any new bike, I do these things:
1. Keep an eye on the oil window at every ride.
2. Watch chain tension and lube especially when new. As expat says, that's when they tend to wear in the most.
3. Check the bike for loose fasteners, controls and connectors and correct when found.
4. Usual tire maintenance

After that, it's optional. You can add accessories or components accordng to your budget/needs/desires or lack of them. But mainly, just enjoy the ride and if something goes whacko or seems odd, bring it to your dealer. That's what warranties and dealers are for. I trust my dealer and have no trouble asking them to do for free what the warranty may demand they do. It works well for both of us.

Enjoy your new bike!

#7 ·
I'm loving my Multi

I got my 2013 Multi a month or so ago and am really digging it! Bought mine used with 5k miles, and now coming up on 7k and the first oil change & service. Only thing unusual I notice (other than the rear tire that's getting flat in the middle from all those hard launches and commuting) is that my clutch fluid looks brownish already. Cruddy clutch fluid may be the reason for my occasional missed shifts / false neutrals (i hope that's all it is).

Other than new tires being needed soon, the bike is lovely! :)

Erica
'13 Multistrada, '07 S4Rs, '06 ST3s (for sale), 2 SV6-fiddies (for sale), FZ1 (for sale)

#10 ·
I got my 2013 Multi a month or so ago and am really digging it! Bought mine used with 5k miles, and now coming up on 7k and the first oil change & service. Only thing unusual I notice (other than the rear tire that's getting flat in the middle from all those hard launches and commuting) is that my clutch fluid looks brownish already. Cruddy clutch fluid may be the reason for my occasional missed shifts / false neutrals (i hope that's all it is).

Other than new tires being needed soon, the bike is lovely! :)

Erica
'13 Multistrada, '07 S4Rs, '06 ST3s (for sale), 2 SV6-fiddies (for sale), FZ1 (for sale)
Yep get that cruddy fluid out and get the blue juice in :)

#8 ·
For occasional missed shifts, also take a quick look to make sure you've adjusted the shifter to fit you and your preference, that can help a lot. Also, when you change the clutch fluid & brake fluid you might want to consider adding speed bleeders, they are cheap and make it super easy to keep everything bled, and easy for future fluid changes too. Not very exciting bling, but sure is useful.

Reactions: Haole GIrl
#9 ·
Getting ready for the "big Desmo service"

Right at 14k miles on my 2011. So far so good. Other than the absent rear brake the bike has been flawless and every mile had been a good/safe one.
I am going to schedule the 15k service soon and other than the "valve" check( too bad the top half of the bike needs to come off) I want them to look at the chain, brake pads and it's time for a 4th set of rubber but other than than that the bike has been a champ. It's sick fast, handles well and is comfortable on long rides. What more could you ask for...

#12 ·
I've had a few false neutrals between 4th and 5th, but I attribute that to a trans that hasn't been worn in and not being firm enough with the shifter.

#13 ·
Got my 2014 GT the middle of January. I only have 520 miles on it because of the the weather. I love the bike but its making me crazy just sitting in the garage.So nothing to do but farkle it up! Mods so far barkbusters,cox radiator guard,navihalter,bags connection engage bag,ducati fork sliders and the sargent low seat which I haven't even tried yet.I love the forum and all farkles were bought with the reviews from here.Screen is noisy and I'm hitting false neutrals so I need to be more aware of shifting.Coming off a 2007 Triumph tiger that had an awesome gearbox.:)

#14 ·
I'm hitting false neutrals so I need to be more aware of shifting.Coming off a 2007 Triumph tiger that had an awesome gearbox.:)
Move the shifter lever down a quarter of an inch. Seriously, most people that have done it are very happy afterwards. Takes about 5 minutes and makes a world of difference IMHO. You can always move it back if you don't like it.

Attached are the directions from the workshop manual on how to do it...

Attachments

#16 ·
I've had my 2014 GT for about 3 weeks now. Only 270 miles so far.

Compared to my 2008 1098S, this thing feels like a cadillac, has a ton of bells and whistles and it feels WAY less clunkier than my superbike.

This is my 3rd duki so I'm used to false neutrals!

This wet clutch is soooooo smooth! Its my favorite commuter so far. :D

#20 ·
Well I picked up my 2013 Silver ST on Superbowl weekend. Then it rained for a week and didn't have much time to ride anyway. Finally had a week off and boy did I ride! Started the week with 150 miles on the odometer and ended with 1800. Fun week! Bike is mind blowingly fun! I just wanted to ride everyday, all day. Now decided to ride across country this summer. Maybe that will sate my appetite for this bike. haha

Dealer put on GT aux lights, trunk, and elect gas cap. First thing that I replaced was the wind screen. Rode up to CalSci for a x-large screen. No more buffeting but still loud. Second thing I replaced was the seat. Rode to down to Corbin factory and had a seat made and installed on the spot. I got to follow my seat and watch it being made. Very cool! I got "carbon fiber" leather with "asphalt" sides and silver welts to match my paint. Looks awesome and it's damn comfortable. I can go all day now in comfort. Cost me $450 plus tax and it was worth every penny. Awesome service and a quality product. Love Corbin!

I found a great local Ducati shop and got an oil change at 125 miles and put in zinc break-in oil. Then got the 600 mile service and put in MobilOne. My clutch and brake fluid looks gross brown so I want to get some synthetic in there. Any brand suggestions?

Couldn't ride today cuz of rain and I'm jonesing. But tomorrow there is a 300 mile ride to North Bay I am joining. =) Let's ride!

#21 ·
My clutch and brake fluid looks gross brown so I want to get some synthetic in there. Any brand suggestions?
Motul RBF600. I use it on all my bikes. It's a little bit more expensive and requires changing a little more often than the usual standard stuff from the auto chain shops, but for me the improvement in feel is well worth it. :) Oh yeah, for oil the Duc likes Mobil 1 4T. The dealer sells it for nearly $20/bottle. :eek: Auto Zone has the same exact thing for less than half that.

Guess who gets my money? :D

#23 ·
First ride on my MS today.

Well actually second ride. First one was late last night (thanks Westlake Ducati for staying late) in the dark on new tires so I pretty much just rode it home (14 Pikes Peak) and started playing with it.

Anyways today I took it out for a quick 100 mile trip after getting some CRGs put on at the dealer. Did Mulholland a couple times and most of the surrounding roads (mostly tight technical stuff, no high speed sweepers). What a great bike! Power is more than ample (especially for those roads) and that skyhook is actually pretty amazing. Going up Latigo there are a few sections that will always unsettle my other bikes (Hyper, GSXR, FJR, etc) however I never went over those sections as smooth as I did today. It just rolled right over them. Yes, I could still feel them however it was unbelievable how smooth it was compared to the norm.

Honestly the bike seems like a Hyper (first generation) times 1.5 Obviously a lot more powerful, and dimensionally bigger but it seems just as easy to throw around. Maybe its just me but I have noticed a lot of Hyper riders who later purchased Multis. The last 30 or so Multi owners who I ran into I always asked how they liked the bike and the great majority were very satisfied (never did run into anyone who didnt like it).

Anyways I now see what all of you were talking about. Whatever the opposite is of buyers remorse is, I have it and I got it bad. Thats all for now, time to go back to the owners manual.

#24 ·
Enjoy! Likewise, I would let go of my hard earned cash 6 months later all over again. Just in case you didn't know, you can download the owners manual from Ducati along with the parts list. Even in my old age I now prefer my books in electronic form. Ducati

#25 ·
Getting a MTS

Just put a deposit on a S Touring with top case, engine guards, bark busters. 2013 plated runout deal includes full Termi system :)

Might be riding it by then end of the week!

I'm excited

#30 ·
I'm trading in my 1997 BMW R1100GS which is about to tick over 220,000km (115,000km were mine). It has been pretty reliable and great fun but I don't think I'll miss it for long once I get on the Multi! I tested the new R1200GS which also has the Sachs semi active suspension and it was close call but the Multi had that extra character that I was looking for, plus no BMW boxer can ever compete with the sound of a Ducati twin. (Even though I do think V4's are the best sounding engines) :D

#31 ·
It's mine!

The first thing I did was take it up a twisty mountain road, as you should.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Sky Automotive tire

I'm really loving this suspension, I change modes multiple times during a ride since it's so easy to do. I've reprogrammed Urban to have 150hp Low, the 100hp mode is too dull. I may change it back if I lose my self control. I'm not going to take this dirt riding like I did with the BMW, I have a proper dirt bike for that, so I've programmed the Enduro mode for a rain setting - 100hp, with high DTC intervention. Maybe once I've gotten comfortable with the bike I'll change that, I used to love getting the BMW sideways in the rain as it was predictable and controllable (but had a lot less hp!)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App