Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey just picked up a super sport, hope to get some help here.

First question:

How do i set the timing? I know how to check it but how does one go about adjusting?

Second question:

Does anyone have a baseline for stock carbs or an easy way of adjusting them, I am getting some backfire and getting to much fuel into the system from the look of the plugs. Running aftermarket cans (arrow) and a open air box.

Third question:

My dealer claims the belts (timing or cam) are the same ones used in a 650 and 750 monster and ss, they do not fit, and they are insistant they will. I do not see this happening. The part number ends in 21 and the lanel says they are for the 650 and 750. I am pretty sure the right belt ends in 11, but they wont budge, am I an idiot or should I start ordering from a new vendor, and on that end who is a good vendor as I need a speedo cable and a front brake switch.

Thanks again, feel free to comment on the above or anything a newbie should look at or be aware of.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
1. bike has two pic-ups, one per cylinder, mounted
on the ignition plate which is located behind the
alternator cover.
the ignition plate has slots and can be moved in
its position.

2. stock setting for european SS 900 belt:

mainjet: 140
main air jet: 70
emulsion tube: Y-2
needle: 5 C 19 - 4th slot from upper
idle jet: 42.5
idle airjet: 60/1.4

3. don't know

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Question 1 has already been answered.

Question 2 - if it seems to be rich at low throttle settings it could be the emulsion tubes are worn. AKA needle jets? It's common on these bikes.

Question 3 - The number for the belt from the factory parts manual is 737.4.002.1A
Apparently this number has has been superceded by part number 737.1.001.1A
According to the Desmotimes site, the 750SS does NOT use the same belt as a 900ss, but I can't prove that with part numbers since I haven't got a parts manual for either of the smaller SS's.

If you don't already have a parts manual, get one, Then you can order from any number of online sources. I typically use Commonweath because they're relatively close to me and shipping is fast.
http://www.store.commoto.com/parts-ordering.php

BTW - baseline carb settings aren't going to help you with an open exhaust and airbox... and stock up on ear plugs!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Your dealer is an idiot. The 600/750 belts WILL NOT fit your 900. I do not have a parts list for the 97, but the 2000 and up models have a parts fiche on the Ducati website. They list part number 737.4.007.1A for the 750 and 737.4.002.1A for the 900. Somewhere along the line they switched from round teeth to square teeth, so I am not saying that number is good for your 97 900, just showing that the 750 and 900 do not use the same belt.

P.S. Since you are obviously dealing with an arrogant idiot, ask the dumbass to count the teeth on each (750 and 900) belt then explain why he thinks the 750 belt which is shorter and has fewer teeth will work on your 900. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys got all these problems solved, new belts from ca cycleworks. Laid her down today, see my new thread any ideas on that would be helpful.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts