Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Ducati world after many years of riding inline fours and dreaming of the red machine. 2001 748 biposto, 1800 miles.

This is my first twin and I have noticed and identified a few of the small gremlins already from information posted around. (eg.. fuel indicator light with a mind of its own) and am still tinkering through her to see if any others poke up.

I do have one question concerning the engine noise while riding. Is it normal to experience, for lack of a better description, what sounds like valve noise coming from the engine while riding? It's just a sound that, coming from a smooth operating inline four, sounds like metal-to-metal clacking, or valve train noise. It's consistent and not noticeable while standing a couple feet away. I just notice it when I'm cruising with a helmet on. The sound sort of filters right up under the helmet.

Fluids have all been changed and were clean. It looks like the ECU is not original to this bike as it has "748CAL" marked on it it yellow marker pen. (aka: salvage yard style :) )

I attached a picture of the ECU. Is the discoloration something to be worried about? Looks almost burnt or charred.

Attachments

·
Registered
572 Posts
Your fuel level indicator, within the fuel pump assy, should be faulty.

For your noise, are you sure it is not the dry clutch noise?
Has the bike been serviced recently?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts