Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just picked up an '04 ST4S ABS and have a few questions:

I previously had a Monster S2R which I was told runs better on low octane gas (87) than high octane, is this the case w/the ST?

I need to go to the DMV to register the bike, where is the sticker on the bike that says it meets Cal emissions? they may need to verify the VIN off the engine, which fairing is it under?

I've stalled the bike a few times and it didn't turn over when I attempted a restart immediately. Is there some kind of delay?

My bike came w/a Sargent seat which I slide front to back on. My Monster had a DP seat, any comparos of the two?

Are there any different tail trunks to consider or is there only one DP offering?

The rear brake seems to take a lot of pressure to apply, should I follow my Keith Code teachings and just ignore the rear and let the ABS do its job if I ever reached a panic stop?

What do the dotted lines on the mirrors mean? I'd guess they mark where the boundaries of your lane would be if you're in the center

I need some recommendations for cheap/compact get caught in a storm rain gear to not trash my leathers - I was told Trog??

Any other Orange County, CA people here? I'm looking to use this bike for longer overnight type excursions.

thanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
good choice

Mika said:

I previously had a Monster S2R which I was told runs better on low octane gas (87) than high octane, is this the case w/the ST? THE BOOK SAYS USE 95 RON MINUMUM. MY GUESS IS THAT THIS IS HIGH OCTANE. THAT IS ALL I HAVE EVER USED ON MY 05 ST4S. NO PROBLEMS, OF COURSE.

I need to go to the DMV to register the bike, where is the sticker on the bike that says it meets Cal emissions? they may need to verify the VIN off the engine, which fairing is it under? TAKE OFF THE SEAT. THE STICKER IS TAPED TO THE TOP OF THE BIKE. THERE IS AN ENGINE NUMBER ON THE LOWER LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE. PEEK BEHIND THE LEFT FAIRING AND BEHIND THE BLACK HOSE.

I've stalled the bike a few times and it didn't turn over when I attempted a restart immediately. Is there some kind of delay? HAVE NOT HAD THAT PROBLEM.

My bike came w/a Sargent seat which I slide front to back on. My Monster had a DP seat, any comparos of the two? MY SARGENT SEAT MAKES ME SIT RIGHT AGAINST THE TANK. NO SLIDING. YOU COULD TRY AN 05 STOCK SEAT. MUCH MORE PADDING THAN 04 I THINK. NO SLIDING.

Are there any different tail trunks to consider or is there only one DP offering?

The rear brake seems to take a lot of pressure to apply, should I follow my Keith Code teachings and just ignore the rear and let the ABS do its job if I ever reached a panic stop? I DON'T HAVE ABS. IF I HAVE A PANIC STOP, ALL BRAKES AND DOWNSHIFT APPLY.

What do the dotted lines on the mirrors mean? I'd guess they mark where the boundaries of your lane would be if you're in the center. THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE MAGNIFIED MIRRORS SO YOU CAN SEE MAGNIFIED VIEWS TO THE SIDES ONCE YOU LOOK ON THE OUTSIDES OF THE DOTTED LINES. I REALLY CANNOT TELL A DIFFERENCE.

I need some recommendations for cheap/compact get caught in a storm rain gear to not trash my leathers - I was told Trog??

Any other Orange County, CA people here? I'm looking to use this bike for longer overnight type excursions.

thanks

SEE ABOVE IN CAPS. NICE BIKE

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mika said:

I previously had a Monster S2R which I was told runs better on low octane gas (87) than high octane, is this the case w/the ST? I USE MID GRADE AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS.

What do the dotted lines on the mirrors mean? I'd guess they mark where the boundaries of your lane would be if you're in the center. OUTSIDE OF THOSE LINES, THE VIEW IS SLIGHTLY MAGNIFIED, INSIDE IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE NORMAL. HARD TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE THOUGH.

Any other Orange County, CA people here? I'm looking to use this bike for longer overnight type excursions. I'M IN LONG BEACH. YOU CAN FIND ME MOST SUNDAY MORNINGS UP AT THE LOOKOUT ON ORTEGA.

thanks
SEE ABOVE IN CAPS.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm not sure how much you'd want to use the rear brake in a panic stop anyway. The rear is going to be so light that it would be very easy to lock the tire and cause a loss of control that way.

Don't know why someone would say any bike would actually run better on lower octane. Some motors may not benefit from the higher octane but they certainly would not run worse on it. Sounds like an uneducated mechanic to me. For my ST4s, the manual says high octane so that's what it gets.

Sometimes if the bike stalls it may not restart immediately. I've had this happen and just turn the key off and back on and it fires up. Sure I'd rather it worked right the first time but in 10K miles it never failed to restart, but it seems a bit finicky in this way. You might try raising the idle speed just a bit. My bike stalled fairly often when leaving a stop and raising the idle by maybe just 100 RPM completely cured the problem. It wasn't my riding technique as the bike would stall just as soon as I gave it some throttle but before releasing the clutch.

I tried a Corbin close seat which keeps you from sliding back but the seat was just too hard for longer rides, plus I didn't like the fact that it was extremely heavy. I've just kept the stock seat and have been happy with it.

As for the tail, I got the license plate relocator kit from http://www.evoluzione.net/ and mounted some turn signals to that bracket. I then cut about 3 inches off of the bag mount brackets. It cleaned up the rear nicely. Just make sure you get some bright turn signals since they are harder to see when tucked in further.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.