Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.
I am located in Orange County (Southern CA) and just bought a 1999 Monster 900S from my brother as a bit of a project bike. It was running and had a valve adjustment, new clutch, etc. and then he did something to the carb ("started puking gas after I stuck something in the carb..." maybe he tore the bladder?). The bike then sat for nearly 2 years and just finally became mine after he accepted he was not likely to get to fixing it anytime soon.

Right now I am planning on doing a carb rebuild and installing the rejet kit he had bought but not installed, and am hoping that gets it running. The bike turns over nicely but doesn't seem to be getting fuel. Once running, I am going to fix the basics (new rear shock, chain, and brake pads) before getting to know it a bit and then do a bit of a refresh/build.

I am familiar with wrenching after owning a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and cutting my teeth learning how to fix that, and have owned a CBR600RR many moons ago, but taking on a project bike will be a new endeavor for me. Carbs are a totally new animal, so I feel like I will be diving into the deep end, but am sure I will figure it out somehow! I am hoping this forum will be as valuable as the Jeep forums were to me when I was working on my JC!

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
That's a kick ass little project you stumbled upon! In my dream resto'mod build garage a 900 Monster carb'y is there. The first ever motorcycle I saw in my life that made me say "what the fuck is that....?.....i want that RIGHT NOW!" Was a Monster Chromo so I'd love to build one up, your bike is perfect for it.

I dug into my first cab just last year, a 4 bank from my 1979 Suzuki GS750 Cafe Racer that was running like shit. I just rebuilt the bottom ends, and it ran like a champ! Some of the floats were stuck. Just take your time, and find all the photos of the process that you'll need, it's all online for sure!

Start a build thread :)

edit: i just looked at your pictures more, that's a f'n nice Monster man. I dont think that's factory paint color but you got full adjustable forks, some nice carbon bits, a billet clutch slave, nice black engine casings...obviously the steering damper. NICE BIKE!!!

·
Administrator
12,913 Posts
Hi and welcome to Ducati.ms, super glad to have you here. :).

Please fill in your location information in the UserCP Edit Your Details section then enjoy the site.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts