Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine the warning lights, I had the same issue with my 07 R1 many years ago, ended up the seal on the caliper was gone and the piston was forcing the pads to drag against the rotor. Hopefully your issue is not the same.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Just rode tonight. Weird thing happened. The Traction control light (The red circle around the mode LED) kept going on any time that I would accelerate. The rear brakes felt as if they were dragging a bit. And ideas on what this could be? When I put it into enduro mode it went away, but I still felt a slight pull from teh rear. And the rear disk was hot. What should I check?
Is the rear brake pedal adjusted such that there’s a small amount of slack before it start engaging the master cylinder? If the slack is gone, the rest position of the pedal could be applying the rear brake slightly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'd check the pin travel under the pedal and wind it out a little. Mine was over tight and caused the rear brake to lock up. Didn't see porkrind reply before posting!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Checking rear brake pads when I get home. Seems odd that the traction control light would only flip on during acceleration. It's not like I was hitting the brakes while accelerating.

Could I be facing two problems at once?

Why would the traction control engage under any acceleration over 1/4 throttle? In sport mode I had my doubts if the bike was going to get me home. Has anything like this happened to you?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Checking rear brake pads when I get home. Seems odd that the traction control light would only flip on during acceleration. It's not like I was hitting the brakes while accelerating.

Could I be facing two problems at once?

Why would the traction control engage under any acceleration over 1/4 throttle? In sport mode I had my doubts if the bike was going to get me home. Has anything like this happened to you?
I have a suspicion that there's two problems. I don't think that the brake drag could cause the TC to engage, but I can't say that I fully understand how all those systems interact.

My guess is that the TC light is a bum sensor or a pinched wire or something. But I'd work out the brake problem first as that's actually causing undue wear on the pads and rotor, and hey, maybe that fixed the TC too. Working on the TC first doesn't stop any damage from occurring and won't fix the brakes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Was out about to adjust the rear brake when I discovered that I have a flat tire on the back. I'm thinking that the change in air pressure also changed the diameter of the wheel enough to trigger the Traction Control system. And make it feel like the rear brake was sticking.

Problem solved. :)

Now what rear tire would you recommend? Considering getting a 90/10 so that the bike has some traction off road. Guess I could entertain an 80/20 as well. What are you guys running on the rear and why?

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
IMO these bikes should have TPM from the factory... but they don't. I added it 2 years ago and will always have it from here out for any touring bikes.
(I bought the Steelmate kit because it's the only one I found with internal sensors and I don't like the screw on type... and it's working well)
Steelmate TP-91i Bike TPMS Harley/Retro Style
(it's very chrome'y but nothing flat black paint can't fix).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
A
IMO these bikes should have TPM from the factory... but they don't. I added it 2 years ago and will always have it from here out for any touring bikes.
(I bought the Steelmate kit because it's the only one I found with internal sensors and I don't like the screw on type... and it's working well)
Steelmate TP-91i Bike TPMS Harley/Retro Style
(it's very chrome'y but nothing flat black paint can't fix).
A bike that is as technologically advanced as the new Multistrada should have TPMS installed.

What are you running for tires? Was considering something aggressive (offroad) but I can not find anything that fits the stock size. And with the TC in mind I don't want to mess with the outer diameter of the tires. Guessing my other option is the Pirelli Scorpion.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
A

A bike that is as technologically advanced as the new Multistrada should have TPMS installed.

What are you running for tires? Was considering something aggressive (offroad) but I can not find anything that fits the stock size. And with the TC in mind I don't want to mess with the outer diameter of the tires. Guessing my other option is the Pirelli Scorpion.
I don't run offroad tires, I found that touring tires work fine for the kind of light offroad I'm willing to do with the Multi (THIS is about the worst offroad I do with Multi, especially with the extra weight of a full touring load)

there ARE a couple threads that discuss knoblies and I've seen Multi's with full offroad tires so they are available. the small diameter front tire is going to be a bitch in sand/mud or anything soft even with knobbies.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Dave, Not sure where you were riding but that looked like a lot of fun. Not sure why you seemed unhappy about the situation. I think that you are correct, I can't ask this bike to be an actual dirt bike. Although I could use it on some lite trails. I'd like to be able to hit those kinds of roads and be able to make it back in case it started to rain and things got muddy.

I know this bike will not replace my KDX200 for the trails. I would like to see what options I have for a more aggressive tires, even if I don't go that direction. On the bike shops I am only seeing the Pirellis as dirt tires. Wondering how far off in aspect ratio and or tire width I can go before I would run into problems with the traction control system.

·
Premium Member
3,561 Posts
Dave, Not sure where you were riding but that looked like a lot of fun. Not sure why you seemed unhappy about the situation. I think that you are correct, I can't ask this bike to be an actual dirt bike. Although I could use it on some lite trails. I'd like to be able to hit those kinds of roads and be able to make it back in case it started to rain and things got muddy.

I know this bike will not replace my KDX200 for the trails. I would like to see what options I have for a more aggressive tires, even if I don't go that direction. On the bike shops I am only seeing the Pirellis as dirt tires. Wondering how far off in aspect ratio and or tire width I can go before I would run into problems with the traction control system.
That was in the middle of a 11k-12k mile long trip around the US... it was in Idaho near Hells Canyon on the Snake river: Snake River

Most likely somewhere in that area (it was a maze). I had gear for a month long trip (a lot of extra weight) and I'd already gotten 2 flats on the Scorpion trails I was running (I replaced them with Pilot Road's before I finished the trip but was still on them in ID). The ST's are too soft for that kind of weight on dirt (sharp rocks were cutting right through them). So I'd told myself in California "NO MORE DIRT"... but of course I couldn't help myself... so I was just expecting to get a flat I couldn't fix and end up stranded in the middle of nowhere. Also... I was low on gas and my GPS was pretty useless on those dirt roads... that one started out as a promising well maintained dirt road and was getting progressively worse - I ended up turning around when it got so overgrown there were barely any wheel tracks visible. So I was doing some bitching... which is to say... it was awesome... in hindsight. :)

FWIW... the Michelins have been much less likely to cut on rocks for whatever reason... and the Multi was the absolute perfect bike for that kind of trip. (long tour comfort, drop the bags at riding destinations for a day of twisty troublemaking, then load back up and head out, and hit the occasional dirt)

81 - 91 of 91 Posts