Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,604 Posts
The argument for a shorter time frame is higher RPMs and a tighter bend around the pulley than most cars have which puts additional strain on the belts. YMMV.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts
2 seemed way too short to me... these are the same belts they put in cars with 100k mile service intervals (so 5 years at least).
Yeah, I always thought the shorter intervals were overkill too, but I always tried to stick pretty close to them. Sometimes it wouldn't take long to rack up 6k miles.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,309 Posts
The argument for a shorter time frame is higher RPMs and a tighter bend around the pulley than most cars have which puts additional strain on the belts. YMMV.
I never really bought that rationale from Ducati. The belt change interval on my old 1990 ST1100 IIRC was about 40k miles, and who knows how many years, and it has some pretty tight bends. I finally changed it at 65k miles, after 10 years of ownership, only because I was selling it to a friend and I didn't want it to break on him.

But yeah, YMMV, and better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Couple of quick questions:

Where can I find a manual for this bike? As in an owners manual. I need to know how these gadgets work. Mine is a 2010 and I have no idea if it has ABS, heated grips or if it has the electronic suspension.

You already know my next question as it is always debated on every single forum..... What oil should I run?

Anyone selling a givi tank bag? It appears I already have the ring installed.

What's the best 1/8th mile drag time you have achieved on your multistrada?

Is there a good video about how to change the belts?

·
Registered
234 Posts

Where can I find a manual for this bike? As in an owners manual. I need to know how these gadgets work. Mine is a 2010 and I have no idea if it has ABS, heated grips or if it has the electronic suspension.

You already know my next question as it is always debated on every single forum..... What oil should I run?

The owners manual for your bike is available to download for free on the Ducati website.

You should run the oil specified in said manual.

No idea on 1/8th, I'm crap at launching motorcycles hard so probably terrible.

This video shows the belt change pretty well:

Not going to be identical to your 1200, but very similar.

·
Registered
414 Posts

You should be able to download the manual from the Ducati website.

To check for ABS, look for the pulser ring and sensor on the front wheel inside one of the front rotors. Also, at least on later years, there's an ABS idiot light that briefly comes on when you power on the bike.

Oil: easy answer is to use whatever weight and API Spec the manual calls for. For most of my bikes, I use Shell Rotella T6 or Mobil 1 from Walmart in the 5 quart jugs. I am a firm non-believer when it comes to motorcycle specific oil, at least once you confirm that you're using a non Energy Conserving marked bottle. That said, I have been using the Ducati specified Shell Advance in my DVT of late as I got a deal on some from my dealer. Saves me from the only reason I ever take a trip to Walmart.

Belts are easy but the technique varies slightly based on model/head. Used to be you’d have to rent a belt tuner to set the tension, but now you can do that with the mike on your phone and a tuner app.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
When I search for a manual on myu 2010 Multistrada:
MULTISTRADA 1200
Owner's Manual
No documents found in this category

·
Registered
414 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
The manual for the 2010 ABS model appears to be available, if you don't have the ABS version I'd just get that one and ignore the ABS stuff. The ABS manual is for both an S and non-S bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My dealer said the belts are the same on my Hyper (2 year service intervals) as my Monster (5 year) . I still like to do it every 2 years because I do it myself and honestly its pretty easy.

Oh and about chicken strips..... I find them delicious... I prefer honey BBQ for dipping sauce.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
As much as I defended your face when it was full of fuel because you didn't close the fuel cap, you suck at the internet.
Someone needed to defend him... the rest of us were running around with lighters and matches...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
The previous owner has no idea what the PIN code is on this bike. How can I reset it?

·
Registered
123 Posts
If he didn't change it, it will either be the last 4 of the VIN, the last 4 of the VIN backwards or 1234 or 9999 (from what I've read here)

Mine was the last 4 of the VIN backwards, but my bike is a 2016 so no idea if yours could be as well.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The previous owner has no idea what the PIN code is on this bike. How can I reset it?
If you disconnect the battery for several minutes the current code and the time will be deleted and you can input "your" new code. Entering the new code is fiddly and you may need the manual for instruction.
YMMV Cheers

41 - 60 of 91 Posts