Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Just bought a 2010 Multistrada 1200 last night. So far I LOVE IT. Rides very well. I topped of the fuel and was doing a few wheelies. Then I noticed that i smelled a lot like fuel when I got off the bike. On my way home I did a really nice wheelie and was rewarded with fuel all over my face. What would cause this? Is it because the tank was topped off? What can I do to keep this from happening again?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fuel tank cap seal....but I would check all the fuel lines and be aware of a hot engine and fuel combo =

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
My guess would be fuel filler cap like @johnrobb1 said, but wheelies or not I wouldn't mess around with this at all, remove the tank and leak test every part of the fuel system until you've identified the problem and corrected it.

Nice looking bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Tank vent hose is on the right side. Under the top tank cover. Bet it is missing or unplugged. Cheers

·
Registered
255 Posts
If it’s a stock gas cap I’d go with the seal or one of the vent lines. Is the Evap canister removed? That’s usually how the vent lines get screwed up. If it’s an aftermarket cap, I’d say vent lines (again). If you don’t fix it, there is huge potential for you to score some cool points at bike night doing wheelies with a lit smoke hangin out of your mouth. If you live in a state where weed is legal (or not legal), you could do it with a lit doobie. Double cool points.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I suggest 2 things. From the looks of your tire, your way too upright. Try your wheelies on the unused portion to ensure the fuel misses you.

Also your shirt and jacket are too big, wear a much smaller jacket and shirt for a smaller target.

Your welcome in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
I suggest 2 things. From the looks of your tire, your way too upright. Try your wheelies on the unused portion to ensure the fuel misses you.

View attachment 979157

Also your shirt and jacket are too big, wear a much smaller jacket and shirt for a smaller target.

View attachment 979158

Your welcome in advance.
This is good advice... a pro tip for free - for that real street Rossi look, push the bike over in one direction and lean really far out in the other direction to insure you not only avoid any unsightly gas splatter, but also get the approved street Rossi "full scrub tire" look. If you can do it mid wheelie you're probably breaking the laws of physics... and it will be sure to confuse your friends.

(I also vote for the vent line popping loose. It could be the seal but that seems less likely to me, will be interested to hear what you find)

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Hopefully Red5 will find the answer and let us know before fireballing on the highway.

·
Registered
423 Posts

View attachment 979157

View attachment 979158

Your welcome in advance.
Ahahaha, beat replay so far

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Diesel it !

Run it on olive oil or coconut oil.
It tastes much better and is great for your skin.

Shave the heads, and shorten the barrells it will bump the compression up to about 20:1.
Remove the spark plugs to save weight.

There has never been a known issue with Multistrada bottom ends so the higher compression won't be an worry.

TORQUE = WHEELIES

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts

Your welcome in advance.
Considering he just bought the bike, I don't think you can blame the chicken strips on him :p

·
Registered
86 Posts
Considering he just bought the bike, I don't think you can blame the chicken strips on him :p
No I can't agree there.
Chicken strips are like birthmarks ! If you have them you must own them, you cant blame your parents or anyone else for them.

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
No I can't agree there.
Chicken strips are like birthmarks ! If you have them you must own them, you cant blame your parents or anyone else for them.

That's right... say it proud "I ride straight but park it in the rear".

Hmm doesn't quite work... maybe "No chicken strips here... we're family friendly"

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guess it doesn't count that I've only ridden it 5 miles? 3 when that picture was taken. ;) I'll upload some video from the Multistrada. From what little I've ridden it is one of, if not the, best bikes I have ever ridden.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts