Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 1991 , 851 Strada, 11,00 miles. Great bike, love riding it, but I have three questions. First, neutral is very hard to find, is there something going on that I can fix to make clicking into neutral easy? Second, the clutch pull is pretty heavy, can I fix something to lighten it up? Third, the indicator lights (for neutral etc.) are impossible to see, not bright enough, in the sun. Can I fix this? Thanks for any and all help, Blake, Tustin, Ca

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi, I recently bought a 1991 , 851 Strada, 11,00 miles. Great bike, love riding it, but I have three questions. First, neutral is very hard to find, is there something going on that I can fix to make clicking into neutral easy? Second, the clutch pull is pretty heavy, can I fix something to lighten it up? Third, the indicator lights (for neutral etc.) are impossible to see, not bright enough, in the sun. Can I fix this? Thanks for any and all help, Blake, Tustin, Ca

·
Registered
374 Posts
Nice bike flatop. Clutches were heavy on those bikes; there may be an aftermarket mod. The neutral issue may simply be a getting-used-to-it issue; perhaps you are not pulling the clutch all the way in. I'd try adjusting the clutch a little first and see if it makes a difference. Here's an 89/90 service manual that may be helpful:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Rick! I appreciate the advice. I will try a clutch adjust. And thanks so much for the workshop manual. I 'm sure that will be a big help for a lot of items. Stay safe up there! Blake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Duccout, No I have not tried installing any aftermarket slave cylinders. I'm glad you mentioned it. I'll look for info on the 'Oberon'. Can you think of any others I could look at? Thanks for the help. Do you have any idea why neutral is almost impossible to click into? I'm an experienced rider so I know how to do it, but this transmission has almost no interest in finding neutral at a light? Thx.

·
Registered
374 Posts
flatop: It's possible that your bike has an 'upgraded" spring pack that may make the clutch stiffer and it's also possible that there is a little air in your hydraulics. If you know that the clutch hydraulics have recently been serviced then this is unlikely to be an issue but if not, bleeding the clutch with new fluid may help things. Bigger springs and bubbles in the clutch could be combining to prevent full clutch disengagement resulting in the neutral issue. Now that you have the service manual, you know how to clean and inspect the clutch pushrod; an easy job and not a bad idea to do this especially as the bike is new to you.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts

Didn't you ask the exact same questions in another thread?

You didn't like the answer you got there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts