Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Today I picked up my new to me ‘07 GT1000. I’d only discovered the series in the last few weeks when I saw one on my local CL for sale. I spotted this one on eBay and won the auction after seeing and test riding the bike. One owner, low miles and fully optioned. I’m very excited by the purchase. Like all other forums I need to see what’s involved in posting pics. I (ave tires ready to replace the aged out and cracked ones now on the bike. Tomorrow I hope to get a few miles in and get to know the bike.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hello all,
Today I picked up my new to me ‘07 GT1000. I’d only discovered the series in the last few weeks when I saw one on my local CL for sale. I spotted this one on eBay and won the auction after seeing and test riding the bike. One owner, low miles and fully optioned. I’m very excited by the purchase. Like all other forums I need to see what’s involved in posting pics. I (ave tires ready to replace the aged out and cracked ones now on the bike. Tomorrow I hope to get a few miles in and get to know the bike.
Congrats!! Replace those tires ASAP as well as the belts. The belts should be replaced every two years regardless of mileage.

New oil, spark plugs, and air filter would be in order. Perhaps a new fuel filter too.

Not sure if the original rims are on there but later down the road I would recommend replacing the rims with lighter ones (they weigh a ton).

Also get a pair of termignoni pipes and ecu map.

Welcome and may your bank account RIP lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike. The bike has Termi pipes and ecu map done by PO. He also replaced front and rear suspension with Ohlins units, included two custom seats, has the OEM panniers and racks, and he just did oil change and plugs. He kept all the stock parts which I also have and even a second fuel tank. I already have tires, tubes, and rim protector strips in my garage for it. I’ll pick up new belts today at the dealership.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Sounds like it’s really optioned out . Congrats !

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Thanks Mike. The bike has Termi pipes and ecu map done by PO. He also replaced front and rear suspension with Ohlins units, included two custom seats, has the OEM panniers and racks, and he just did oil change and plugs. He kept all the stock parts which I also have and even a second fuel tank. I already have tires, tubes, and rim protector strips in my garage for it. I’ll pick up new belts today at the dealership.
I know the bike and the seller. Older gentlemen, red bike. Rear shocks are the not the correct ones for model. He got those as he was a short guy. Enjoy the bike and please remove that front fairing

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the bike. He had the rear shocks modified by Ohlins in SC. I’ve got all he paperwork to go through yet though that is what he said. They have a lot of adjustment so I’ll have to do some tweaks if needed.
Thanks for your opinion but I didn’t ask for it. I’m good with the fairing.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I picked up a set of Michelin Pilot Road 4 tires locally for a good price before I was able to pick up the bike. I got my ‘69 Cougar off the lift yesterday and figured Id try and get the wheels off for a tire swap. Shops around here are booking appointments for bike drop off service 2-4 weeks out. After securI got her to the lift arm and padding the arm fully I raised her up and got to work. Wheels came off and I took them to my local Honda-Suzuki shop where they swapped them in a little over an hour. i spent some time cleaning, and greasing stuff before reinstalling the freshly cleaned wheels. Today I took a ride to downtown Detroit and then a tour of Belle Isle before returning home. I got caught in a ran storm for the last few miles trashing my cleaning efforts. Oh well I had a great Sunday morning ride on my new bike.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
Sweet bike! congrats. Those Ohlins front forks gold, are unobtanium now, and were super expensive as aftermarket mod. Congrats indeed.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Nice bike, but please replace those steel rims, you will never regret it!

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
137 Posts
Bike looks good and the mods are sweet, except that fairing.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the comments. I’m keeping the fairing. I’d like to change to AL wheels but bike budget for this machine is pretty well shot. Plus Detroit roads are less than smooth so I’m good for now.

I’m a relatively new rider with my only other street bike experience being on my ‘73 Harley-Davidson custom bobber that I inherited from my uncle when he passed away. The Ducati, even with the steel wheels, is a featherweight in comparison.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a quick ride down to Clutch & Throttle today to drop off a Rivera Primo clutch puller tool for my Harley repair. I rolled down Woodward from the suburbs to Midtown where they're located and snapped this picture from the business next door, Detroit Nipple Works.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Replaced the cad plated acorn nuts on the key switch housing with stainless steel acorn nots.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
With my new nuts being the first mod I was itching for more. I had read enough to see the reg rec was a problem spot on these bikes. I called Rick’s and they had a plug and play unit on their shelf. Two 8mm bolts and two connectors and the new MOSFET device was installed. This was a preemptive repair on my part to increase my peace of mind. OEM unit was working fine and will go in to my parts store.
Now back to my ‘69 Cougar restomod for the day.

·
Registered
2008 Ducati Sport1000, GT1000
137 Posts
Replacing the R/R with a mosfet is great just make sure it also gets the appropriate airflow. Its location under the seat is terrible.

·
Registered
2007 GT1000
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the recommendation fastfinch. I'll look at that soon.

I understand these things are potted for weather resistance but I'm still a bit uneasy with mounting it under the existing tray fully exposed to the slop thrown off the rear wheel. I am looking at ways to ventilate the tray yet keep the ECU and RR where they are now.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts