Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Just came across this one seems to be ok but nothing special.

What is the standard inlet diameter of the stock filter?

For little more money you can get the projekt7 filter which i think is the bettor of the two.

Any toughs on this?

My take on it is to mount a moto guzzi filter mg-0001 and make a bigger hole, getting the filter this week.http://shop.italo-shop-neuss.de/product_info.php?info=p4119_air-kit-Weber--Hypermotard.html
I'd rather go with the ducati-saarland solution, which brings more hp and torque… http://ducati-saarland.de/abc_1.php?id=4016

It uses a modified and optimized original airbox and costs 299€ in exchange

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would like to get the airbox if only the site was in English (or if I could read German which I can't). I emailed them last week but have not received a response.

·
Registered
242 Posts
take a look at dietrichpfeifer's airbox cover. i have that and a performance filter, really remarkable difference, both in performance and sound!

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
I would like to get the airbox if only the site was in English (or if I could read German which I can't). I emailed them last week but have not received a response.
It is very easy… they ship to the USA.

Give em some time to response or give em a call… they are extremely busy these days!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I've got one of dietrichpfeifer's covers as well, but have yet to put in on. Any idea how the two might compare to each other?

·
Registered
300 Posts
How do these air box upgrades compare with WASP's power up airbox? Also, do these upgrades require pipes, ECU, remapping etc...? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
How do these air box upgrades compare with WASP's power up airbox? Also, do these upgrades require pipes, ECU, remapping etc...? Thanks
The wasp kit uses pod filters instead of an airbox and includes modified intake stacks that are claimed to positively affect the torque curve in a way that an airbox mod alone could not do. It also includes a PCIII with a different fuel map, optimized for use with one aftermarket pipe or another.

I suspect that if you are running the original ECU, which already errs on the lean side, then any airbox mod is going to make that worse. However, you could possibly fix that with the addition of a FatDuc O2 sensor signal manipulator, at least for the rpm range where the thing runs as closed loop. In general an aftermarket pipe (or Termis with baffles removed) is a bigger change than opening up the airbox, and definitely requires a change in the fuel map.

·
Registered
54 Posts
All I did to get rid of the restrictive factory inlet was make an aluminium plate that is simply there to hold the filter in position

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Diameter?

Anybody knows the diameter of the stock airfilter, that is the inner hole dia i need.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
Diameter

Anybody knows the diameter of the stock airfilter, that is the inner hole dia i need.
75mm diameter

I went even simpler with my design, a simple disk, 115mm outer diameter, 75mm inner diameter, and 5mm thick. I then put a very slight bend in it so it would press down tight on the side with no screws.

It looks really cool, I had a friend turn it up on a lathe, and then polished it up a bit. Just a pity it is hidden away under the tank :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
75mm diameter

I went even simpler with my design, a simple disk, 115mm outer diameter, 75mm inner diameter, and 5mm thick. I then put a very slight bend in it so it would press down tight on the side with no screws.

It looks really cool, I had a friend turn it up on a lathe, and then polished it up a bit. Just a pity it is hidden away under the tank :(
You got any pics?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
According to the measurements of the Dyno guys i know, this is no good solution to remove the upper lid…

They tested the Weber Air-Kit which sells for 199 € and found it to be insufficient…

Sounds like a hole in the bottom of the airbox to the airfilter may be an economical solution.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Sounds like a hole in the bottom of the airbox to the airfilter may be an economical solution.
Exactly… that's what the Ducati-Saarland guys were talking about…

They called it different intakes of various diameters… I will see it in August hopefully:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
dyno

Any body dyno´d with an open airbox lid like dietrichpms or the one you made your self?
Has anybody done a run with out airfilter and lid with just open box, would be intresting since that frees up a lot of space in the airxox and gives it a huge hole to breath through.

The hole in the bottom seem ok since it doubles the intake area but then again it hot air but doesnt that blow away when travelling at 60mph?

Im gonna try al this in august but just nice to get some info in advance.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did some dyno runs last year. I gained about 1 hp and 1ft.lb. with dietrich's air box lid. Also smoothed out the curve. Plus it just sounds great. At the time my bike had the DP performance ecu and race termis with no baffles.
Great bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I did some dyno runs last year. I gained about 1 hp and 1ft.lb. with dietrich's air box lid. Also smoothed out the curve. Plus it just sounds great. At the time my bike had the DP performance ecu and race termis with no baffles.
Great bang for the buck.
agreed. and since I believe the DP ECU is pre-mapped and not re-mappable, why worry about it. But I agree that the bike seems to run smoother with dietrich's cover, which would mean that the DP ECU is mapped to be a little rich?

WASP's set up is such a big change that there is the need to customize the ECU, hence the power commander supplied in the kit, which WASP is pre-mapping. The TPO beast set up will also need a Power commander and some tuning, although their site claims you don't need it... I just don't buy that part, it makes no sense.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts