Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. Just signed up for life. :p My bikes are listed above both 1966's with the square style fenders,etc..

Looking to finally get going on my bikes. THe 250 is a basketcase that I bought around 1992. THat'll probably become a customized job even though it was a very complete and running bike when I took it home.

The 350 I bought around 1989 and was in need to the usual - stuck piston, generally ratty and unappreciated for at least the decade previous. Young,less bills,I proceeded to dismantle and took the engine to Miller Specialty where Phil Cheney did the work. Not a big fan of Bob Miller but anyhow....its been so long but I do still have the receipt for work and all parts. Top end done and some more. Enter the age of more bills,trying to play in a band,then the kids....you know the story. All the while my bikes have been in storge, sometimes heated sometimes not,but I always turn the engines with the kickstarter,have dropped a little MMO in the spark plug hole too just to keep it a little coated.

As the 350 sits today the engine is obviously ready to run, the frame was repainted using a marine paint glossy black, and I had been lucky enough to find some NOS early on so there's a decent front fender, headlight, and tank. Tool box, air cleaner housing, and rear fender were painted but not so great.:rolleyes:

I'm looking to get this project going again and actually finish the bike. I'm 46 now and my son is 12 so hopefully I restore this one and use it for a few years then pass it along if he wants it then.

Basically saying hi,letting you guys know what I have and my intentions. Any help is greatly appreciated. I can't say I'll be super active right away but that's why I signed up for life. It's been 20 stinkin' years since I bought the 350 so I guess I should rush now. :D

To reach me quickly please use moosens at yahoo dot com
I'll do my best to search before asking questions asked a hundred times already.

Ciao!
Paul

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I had a 350 Sebring years ago and everything used to vibrate loose, so my advice is to use nylock nuts where possible and lots of Loctite.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bike projects

Moosens - Your story sounds familar. My younder son and I took on a 250 scrambler project this past winter, with the intentions of selling it. So far we still have the bike, and fire it up once in a while - such a hoot to start and ride ! DO you have some pics - I might suggest photo bucket, or picasa or create your own blog or website. my site is www.coolitalianbikes.com

Good luck and keep us posted !

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the madness. I have a 350 project going myself, along with a 160. BOth of them are '66s with the square bodywork, or USED to have square bodywork. Neither of them have a stitch of the "original" style stuff on them anymore...

My projects tend to take a while too. I've spent literally days working out how to mount the gas tank on my latest one so you can imagine how long it's going to be before it's done!

Anywhos, have fun with the projects and yeah, take lots of pictures!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes projects,,,,I hear yah, have a couple of them going right now, I've had my 250 cafe on my table for a year....so I now how it goes....loks of info here, I'm pretty new to this site also....

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I'm pretty sure the 250 will see that square bodywork disappear. Considered joining the vintage race thing but making a Monza into a Mach I ,etc.... I'm not a dentist,attorney,etc....I could afford it but don't justify it so I won't...yet. Family first.

The 350 for few reasons I went forward with the square style. 1 - always trying to be a little unique,rebelious,etc. and everyone said "you're going to scrap that square junk and get some '64-65 parts,right?" ... 2 - easy to find NOS back then for the squares which, 3 - fit into my budget :)

I have some fantastic memories of going to Freddy Marsh's place in East Windsor (Warehouse Point) CT. If any of you folks have stories to share about Freddy or his place feel free to contact me for some conversation.

I sure do want to talk clip-ons,cafe fairings,etc. but right now....

Sunday dinner,folks are here,talk to you guys soon. Take care,
Paul

1 - 7 of 7 Posts